Cats Moving In Together

Becca_and_remmy77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, me n my boyfriend are moving in together and so are our cats. I’m thinking of getting a room divider and having each cat spend 12 hours a day on each side. It’s a 2 bedroom apartment so they’d each have their own rooms. We can take the divider down after a few weeks but I know my cat at least needs time to get comfortable esp because he doesn’t really like other cats. I wanted to know,has anyone else done this? And what kind of divider does everyone think is best?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luckily when we moved in together, the apartment had a pocket door, which made giving each of our cats half the apartment was easy, though we didn't switch them every twelve hours. We would put them together at first for short periods when we could supervise.

The girls happily tolerate each other now, so it ended up working for us.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds rather complicated? Maybe put one in a bedroom, crack the door a bit, prop with two door jambs, so they can see/smell each other a bit, and you can switch off who is in a bedroom. That is a method recommended by Jackson Galaxy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Becca_and_remmy77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds rather complicated? Maybe put one in a bedroom, crack the door a bit, prop with two door jambs, so they can see/smell each other a bit, and you can switch off who is in a bedroom. That is a method recommended by Jackson Galaxy.
Yeah we do that at my moms because they have a cat that isn’t 100% on board with my cat. It’s just super hard to do 24/7 and we’re trying to go for the least stressful option, especially when we’re running out the door in the morning.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not have them switch rooms. If they are both getting used to a new place and new living situation you want each to have a “safe” room that they feel is theirs. Instead I would alternate letting each out of their room to explore and to smell the other through the door. You can also exchange items with their scent in it before trying anything face to face.