A Tortie's Tail...er...Tale

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL, I think if I tried to take a picture of Miss Hekitty in the litter box, I'd be damaged!
Gypsy has absolutely no personal decorum in the litter box! I couldn't believe it the 1st time she hopped in while I was standing right next to it, I looked away cause I'd read some cats are very shy, but not our little rascal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just got a big, comfy new recliner (well, like new, and new to me), and guess who has taken it over? I took pics, but the batteries are recharging for the camera, so I'll try to remember to post tomorrow!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, she did! She got a Grumpy Cat catnip toy all the way from Scotland, and her sisal balls, and has been going wild with all of them. In lieu of cake, she pigged out on shrimp-flavored cat treats. I may regret that decision.

She's just breaking it in for you.
I would never allow a recliner in my home.
I was more than a little worried, but I have to have a comfortable place to sleep sitting up several weeks out of the year. When I brought it in, she immediately crawled under it, and I screamed at the top of my lungs while beating on the seat. She SHOT out from under, and, although she is very comfortable ON the chair, she no longer has any interest in going UNDER it. I felt horrible about scaring her, but better a brief scare now than a bad incident later. I did luck out on the chair that I got. It is made so that I don't ever need to extend the back out, I can just raise the foot and sleep comfortably when I need to! THAT takes a load off of my mind, as well.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad she's enjoying all her presents and treats. :redheartpump: I stacked books at the back of our recliner so Maggie can't get under it. Those gears scare me. Not sure what to do about the front foot rest part, but nobody uses it much anymore after all my complaining. Maybe Hekitty will sleep on your lap instead of under it. :D

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad she's enjoying all her presents and treats. :redheartpump: I stacked books at the back of our recliner so Maggie can't get under it. Those gears scare me. Not sure what to do about the front foot rest part, but nobody uses it much anymore after all my complaining. Maybe Hekitty will sleep on your lap instead of under it. :D
That is a really good idea.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did. And her new human "brother" is a vet. She had a MRI which showed that she is almost normal, although she lacked ovaries and her uterus was malformed. She was spayed last week, as he was worried that the malformation might cause infections later. She's doing fine, made fast friends with another kitten at the clinic who was abandoned, and her new Mama took BOTH kittens home! She landed in a soft place. I don't expect to hear from them, now that she's healthy, and that is fine.

And now a few of my own green-eyed monster:

IMG_0004.JPG
That is her favorite "stringy," after "da bird." When she catches I MUST SAY, "OH, FIERCE of heart, OH SWIFT of paw! OH MIGHTY STRINGY HUNTER!" If I don't, I hear about it.

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG
NAWT foolin meh.jpg

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I did. And her new human "brother" is a vet. She had a MRI which showed that she is almost normal, although she lacked ovaries and her uterus was malformed. She was spayed last week, as he was worried that the malformation might cause infections later. She's doing fine, made fast friends with another kitten at the clinic who was abandoned, and her new Mama took BOTH kittens home! She landed in a soft place. I don't expect to hear from them, now that she's healthy, and that is fine.

And now a few of my own green-eyed monster:

View attachment 225535
That is her favorite "stringy," after "da bird." When she catches I MUST SAY, "OH, FIERCE of heart, OH SWIFT of paw! OH MIGHTY STRINGY HUNTER!" If I don't, I hear about it.

View attachment 225536

View attachment 225537
View attachment 225538
I'm still weepy once in a while about Tera. Sprite has a better life because of you.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you. And kitten season is on us again. Little Bit is visibly pregnant already. I keep reminding myself that gentling two out of two kittens was remarkable, and a fluke, and I canNOT expect to do so well every time. And that one is a triumph, and that if I can't gentle ANY of them, I've done my best. A POX on this town, that does not allow TNR, and requires vets to surrender any "obviously feral" cat or kitten for "elimination!"

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. And kitten season is on us again. Little Bit is visibly pregnant already. I keep reminding myself that gentling two out of two kittens was remarkable, and a fluke, and I canNOT expect to do so well every time. And that one is a triumph, and that if I can't gentle ANY of them, I've done my best. A POX on this town, that does not allow TNR, and requires vets to surrender any "obviously feral" cat or kitten for "elimination!"
Things change keep pushing. While TNR may be run by private rescues most city or county shelters euthanize any cat that seems feral. I'm pretty sure our local AC diagnoses all cats as feral.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's sad. My two cats are former ferals. I hate to think of that happening to them. They are so special. Their only fault is they are a little rough with their claws on people and furniture. Other than that, they are just like any other cat. Feral cats are so misunderstood and discriminated against.:(

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I'd love to see a "Adopt a Barn Cat" program here, which relocates ferals onto farms for vermin control. They are neutered and vaccinated when they go out, and they have shelter and a good food supply.
If the only option is to kill the feral then cooperation will never happen. I have had feral feral feral cats that I was quite fond of. TNR can and does reduce the feral / stray population in a humane sane way and it allows anyone to contribute to their care without the guilt of helping to bring more unwanted kittens into the world. Sadly AC and other government entities want to regulate behavior only and not tap into human psychology to get cooperation. The WGA Western Governors Association declared feral cats an invasive species. I started a thread here and let them know on their FB page what I thought about it. This kind of action is not conducive to controlling a 100% man made problem nor is it going to be good for any house, stray, outdoor , community or outright feral that meets up with a cat hater with new validation under their belt to kill ,poison and just in general be mean to cats. Yes I am on a soap box...why do you ask ?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know why they call feral cats invasive. My outdoor cats as a kid would catch birds sometimes, but mostly they caught mice. There were always plenty of birds, so I don't believe feral cats are that invasive. I guess they would rather kill all the cats and have another black plague from mice or rats.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know why they call feral cats invasive. My outdoor cats as a kid would catch birds sometimes, but mostly they caught mice. There were always plenty of birds, so I don't believe feral cats are that invasive. I guess they would rather kill all the cats and have another black plague from mice or rats.
I watched the feral cats here hunt birds. If they got one or two they were lucky but we also fail to equate the intelligence of birds and the necessity of natural selection into this. Most young animal have a very short shelf life unless they can either learn to hunt or avoid predation. Almost without fail and interspecies one bird would become the community watch dog. I've watched small birds drive a cat out of their nest. Prey is not necessarily passive. Because mice can't fly and cats can easily dig and stalk small rodents are easier to catch and most cats if they have that option.
Although I do admit cheering when they'd get one of the flying rats (doves and ring neck doves) that crap everywhere and are indeed invasive and drive other birds off.