A Lot Of (still) Newbie Questions

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds to me as though they've been through the ringer, have too many cats to deal with, and not enough similarly minded people.
I'm confused, if they say these are the same cats, why are they trapping them again to look. It's a little late to tell them no, but...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe because the photos I can get are not that great, I wonder as I'm getting them off a cam. Shaman is the only one I can get close enough to and take a good photo. The others run from the camera. Personally, and my thought, if they've been here a year with no mating or signs of kittens I pretty much believe these are in that bunch that was captured. I would think any of them would be tending to kittens instead of playing in trees in my backyard daily for a year if they had kittens. I'm confused as well but I suppose they want to make sure?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, once I get the money for it. I may have to wind up doing one at a time, maybe if nothing else works. Of course if Shadow didn't eat enough to feed 500 cats maybe I could afford this lol

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL, hang in there!
Example: Neighbor is out cutting grass (at 7:00 am no less). All the cats are in hiding. Well except for Shadow. Nothing comes between Shadow and food. She just strolls into the yard to eat as if it's nothing at all. But then Shadow is the only one that walks through the yard and plays in rain and 75 mph winds too.

Ok so here we are again with the food issue. I'm really at wits end with this situation. I put out food and Shadow ate. I had second bowl for Treasure and Shaman since they refuse to eat in separate bowls. Treasure came, sniffed and walked off. There's nothing wrong with the food. I sniff the food before setting it out. So I guess I'm just curious, not being familiar with behaviour of outside cats (now that I know they belonged to someone before) why would a cat come and sniff a bowl of food and walk away if they aren't hungry. Is it they want to be sure the bowl is filled? I checked and Shadow is not in the area. Am I overthinking this entire situation? Thanks and again sorry to keep rehashing this same scenario all the time.

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow. Has anyone used any of the Alexa skills? Just out of curiosity I asked Alexa to open cat translator and tell the cats to come eat as it is time for me to clean up and they were wary that Shadow was still around. I never expected anything to happen, but the minute I did, Shaman and Treasure came running. This is the 3rd time I did this. Anyone know the dynamics of how the development team did that?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwe, I feel so sad. I know Shadow is eating well but I feel like a mean old person when I don't have food out there. And all 3 ate this morning. Does this feeling every go away?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Shaman comes and pokes her face right in front of the cam. I think this training is harder on me than on them.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Geez, what a neighbor!
My boy does that-the sniff and walk, I have no real idea why because sometimes he'll come back later and eat, and other times he rejects that plate of food. Your thought might be exactly right, they just want to double check :)

I wonder if there's something ALexa progammers borrowed from MusicForCats . Com, but dang, that's pretty cool!

LOL, your cats really are super smart, I love that they've figured out the cam! I think that yes, as you become more comfortable with the situation and them, you'll become more serene.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Geez, what a neighbor!
My boy does that-the sniff and walk, I have no real idea why because sometimes he'll come back later and eat, and other times he rejects that plate of food. Your thought might be exactly right, they just want to double check :)

I wonder if there's something ALexa progammers borrowed from MusicForCats . Com, but dang, that's pretty cool!

LOL, your cats really are super smart, I love that they've figured out the cam! I think that yes, as you become more comfortable with the situation and them, you'll become more serene.
It's just so hard to sit here and watch them poke their face in front of the cam like "Feed me." And I know they ate well but I'm such a softy. Maybe I should turn off the cam when feeding time is over so I don't feel so stressed? What do you think? At least until we get into a routine and I'm more comfortable.

A couple of weeks ago I moved the cam inside to observe through the door and these cats got so used to seeing it that when Shaman appeared she looked all around for the cam and then looked into the door at me with that look on her face like "I didn't take it" lol I know that isn't what she was thinking but the look was priceless.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
See I'm still at wits end. They took off pouting after I wouldn't run out to feed them. I'm still so scared they'll find someone else who will feed them when want food and will stop coming here. :(

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Staring contest right now between Shadow and Treasure, while Shaman stands to the side. lol

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
You could turn off the cam, maybe, or when they look at the cam have Alexa do a little cat music.

I doubt they'll leave, you're too consistent. That's not to say others might be feeding them but to them it doesn't matter, you're a consist

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
You could turn off the cam, maybe, or when they look at the cam have Alexa do a little cat music.

I doubt they'll leave, you're too consistent. That's not to say others might be feeding them but to them it doesn't matter, you're a consist
I guess that's right. Plus I supply them with unlimited amounts of catnip. Treasure stood her ground today and made Shadow wait to eat.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, you should have just seen the action. Treasure and Shaman were eating so I turn on the Echo Dot remotely by dropping in. At that moment Shaman looked in direction of cam and hissed. I'm like she never hissed at the cam before. Then she runs off to the side and I notice Shadow appears. Treasure remained at the bowl. Treasure and Shaman had a stare down for 5 minutes. Shadow relented and Treasure went back to eating, making sure Shadow was still. Shadow was laying down watching. Finally Treasure walks triumphantly past Shadow to join Shaman and Shadow glances at the cam. I said "Ok, your turn. Go ahead." To which Shadow got up and went to eat. Proud of Treasure standing her ground though. Maybe in time Shaman will do the same.