A Lot Of (still) Newbie Questions

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are weird. Their relationships are weird. Gotta just roll with it.

If they've adopted your house they probably won't leave unless you stopped feeding them or giving them attention (even ferals like attention!). So I don't think that's much of a risk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are weird. Their relationships are weird. Gotta just roll with it.

If they've adopted your house they probably won't leave unless you stopped feeding them or giving them attention (even ferals like attention!). So I don't think that's much of a risk.
Thanks. Yea I just only had the one indoor cat before. First time with more than one let alone feral/strays. Of course I am leaning more to strays since they were living in this man's house for many years together til this man died last year and got booted out by the relatives which led to their TNR at the time they all showed up in my yard last year.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
AE49129A-ACB2-403E-9BBE-DEE626816C4A.jpeg
Sitting outside now right by Shaman as she eats ❤ Sorry wrong photo. This was earlier just before the "standoff". Proper photo in next comment.

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh another worry. Are red foxes a threat to cats? Just learned there's a family of red foxes a few blocks away, police posted photo. Granted these cats have co existed with the racoon, the once in a while visiting coyote and the groundhog. I'm just worried now about the foxes maybe posing a threat.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You take very nice pictures!

Geez I hope nobody harasses the foxes! They might try and chase a cat, but for the most part the foxes aren't a threat.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
You take very nice pictures!

Geez I hope nobody harasses the foxes! They might try and chase a cat, but for the most part the foxes aren't a threat.
Ok. Thanks. Was a bit worried. Most people are actually in awe of the fox family.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Finally got a good photo of Treasure. Tipped ear is very noticeable. And they both hung around while I said goodnight and Treasure didn't run off.

Treasure's tipped ear.jpg

JoyM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It appears that you have found yourself feeding cats from 2 different colonies. Once they have established their family group, it can be difficult for new adult cats to join. To help prevent fights, you could set up 2 feeding stations up that area far enough away from each other that they can all eat at the same time. If you don’t have enough distance between them on the ground, you could put the second food and water bowl on top of a table so Shaddow can eat up there while the other two eat at their regular spot.

If one of them has their left ear tipped, they have already gone through a TNR so he/she will not require it again. You could call your local shelter to see what TNR resources are available in your area. Don’t worry about them removing your babies. They are just focused on getting them fixed and some have started giving vaccinations too (which I think is wonderful).

Personally, I would concentrate on 2 feedings a day. They really don’t need more than that. As for scheduling, they WILL adapt to YOUR schedule. I’m sure they are never too far away so if you regularly feed at specific times, they will start showing up then.
Unfortunately, I doubt you will ever get a chance to truly adopt these babies. After 12wk old, the time to socialize them is pretty much over. They never completely trust people after that and will remain feral. This doesn’t mean they won’t be happy. They live happy and fulfilled lives as ferals. I just don’t want you to feel like one day they could possibly become house cats because that’s highly unlikely.

I agree with the other person who said that they don’t NEED toys because they have natural stimulation from being outside so do whatever is easier for YOU as far as the toys go. I’m sure you enjoy watching them play with the toys you have left out so put them out when you want to watch them. Cat toys are specifically made for indoor cats that need items to help them fulfill their hunting instincts but these kitties have the opportunity to hunt all the time.

As for using the clicker, it can’t hurt. If you click a few times each time you put out food, they might start to associate it with feeding time (or just tap a spoon on their dish). However, if you just stick to a schedule and feed them twice a day at the same time every day, they will catch on.

As long as you are taking up the old food when you put out new food, there’s little chance of it “going bad”. Feral cats are used to scrounging for scraps and their bodies can fight off small amounts of bacteria in their food. As long as you don’t pile new food on top of old food that has been sitting there all day, they will be fine. The pictures look like you are using dry food. If so, it takes even longer to go bad. I give my indoor cats wet food once at night and I free feed (always available) them dry food by discarding what little old dry food is left every other day and pouring fresh. Free feeding isn’t the best thing to do but we got into the habit when I worked long hours and their vet says they are happy and healthy so we continue doing the same.

It’s frustrating when outside cats disappear for a while and it’s easy to fear the worst. Unfortunately, there’s very little you can do about it (especially since they are feral). The change in personality could be from an injury or it could have gotten closed into a garage or shed and after a couple days closed in without food or water, it could be weary of getting close to anywhere it could be trapped again. I know some people can be quite cruel to stray animals so I’m not ruling that out but there are many things that can cause a feral to go missing for a while and return acting different. Sometimes completely tame outdoor pets will do that too.

You are so sweet to put so much time and effort into these little guys. They are very fortunate to have you. It says a lot about you to care so deeply for an animal that will probably never be “yours”. The world needs more of that kind of compassion. You have given these guys love in what can be a cruel world... especially for a stray animal!

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
It appears that you have found yourself feeding cats from 2 different colonies. Once they have established their family group, it can be difficult for new adult cats to join. To help prevent fights, you could set up 2 feeding stations up that area far enough away from each other that they can all eat at the same time. If you don’t have enough distance between them on the ground, you could put the second food and water bowl on top of a table so Shaddow can eat up there while the other two eat at their regular spot.

If one of them has their left ear tipped, they have already gone through a TNR so he/she will not require it again. You could call your local shelter to see what TNR resources are available in your area. Don’t worry about them removing your babies. They are just focused on getting them fixed and some have started giving vaccinations too (which I think is wonderful).

Personally, I would concentrate on 2 feedings a day. They really don’t need more than that. As for scheduling, they WILL adapt to YOUR schedule. I’m sure they are never too far away so if you regularly feed at specific times, they will start showing up then.
Unfortunately, I doubt you will ever get a chance to truly adopt these babies. After 12wk old, the time to socialize them is pretty much over. They never completely trust people after that and will remain feral. This doesn’t mean they won’t be happy. They live happy and fulfilled lives as ferals. I just don’t want you to feel like one day they could possibly become house cats because that’s highly unlikely.

I agree with the other person who said that they don’t NEED toys because they have natural stimulation from being outside so do whatever is easier for YOU as far as the toys go. I’m sure you enjoy watching them play with the toys you have left out so put them out when you want to watch them. Cat toys are specifically made for indoor cats that need items to help them fulfill their hunting instincts but these kitties have the opportunity to hunt all the time.

As for using the clicker, it can’t hurt. If you click a few times each time you put out food, they might start to associate it with feeding time (or just tap a spoon on their dish). However, if you just stick to a schedule and feed them twice a day at the same time every day, they will catch on.

As long as you are taking up the old food when you put out new food, there’s little chance of it “going bad”. Feral cats are used to scrounging for scraps and their bodies can fight off small amounts of bacteria in their food. As long as you don’t pile new food on top of old food that has been sitting there all day, they will be fine. The pictures look like you are using dry food. If so, it takes even longer to go bad. I give my indoor cats wet food once at night and I free feed (always available) them dry food by discarding what little old dry food is left every other day and pouring fresh. Free feeding isn’t the best thing to do but we got into the habit when I worked long hours and their vet says they are happy and healthy so we continue doing the same.

It’s frustrating when outside cats disappear for a while and it’s easy to fear the worst. Unfortunately, there’s very little you can do about it (especially since they are feral). The change in personality could be from an injury or it could have gotten closed into a garage or shed and after a couple days closed in without food or water, it could be weary of getting close to anywhere it could be trapped again. I know some people can be quite cruel to stray animals so I’m not ruling that out but there are many things that can cause a feral to go missing for a while and return acting different. Sometimes completely tame outdoor pets will do that too.

You are so sweet to put so much time and effort into these little guys. They are very fortunate to have you. It says a lot about you to care so deeply for an animal that will probably never be “yours”. The world needs more of that kind of compassion. You have given these guys love in what can be a cruel world... especially for a stray animal!
They all came from the same household. That was confirmed yesterday by the local TNR group. The situation is that the guy (90+ years old) had a large amount of cat. This particular group of 8 were in the same house (5 rooms) with 50 others. When the man died, the children came in, opened the door and shooed all of them out. 8 of them stayed together. Those were Shadow, Shaman, Treasure, the other darker tabby and tuxedo one. I don't know the other 3 of the 8 that stayed together because one woman adopted the one and the other two were injured scrounging for food. So at least Shadow, Shaman and Treasure stay together. If food is not involved they get along with Shadow. But anyway each one of these cats have been 100% confirmed as spayed/neutered and from the same house. Living together at least 5 years.

The toys were claimed by these cats. Treasure especially. So they stay. Treasure isn't quite as brave as Shaman as far as climbing trees. And Shadow loves the cat tree. Shaman already lets me touch her. They've only been stray (not feral as they spent all of their lives in this mans house) for only a year. I knew the man as he lived behind my house but never saw the cats til there was some write up about all of the cats in his house. So these cats are socialized. They just need to learn to trust again. After all the one human they trusted died and then other humans came and shooed them out of the house. But they've only been out on the streets for a little over a year.

JoyM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Finally got a good photo of Treasure. Tipped ear is very noticeable. And they both hung around while I said goodnight and Treasure didn't run off.

View attachment 284857
He has definitely already been through the TNR process. That’s really good news. That just leaves the other two!
Getting an animal spayed/neutered is one of the greatest gifts you can ever give them. They will be less prone to fight so they are less likely to be injured or contract certain diseases. They will have less risks of certain types of cancer. A female will not have to go through a risky pregnancy on the street and then have to protect a litter of unwanted kittens that will then contribute to more homeless animals (and that’s IF they survive). Many TNR programs have started doing vaccinations too.
Contact your local shelter to see if there are TNR programs available in your area willing to assist you. If so, you will have happier, healthier kitties!

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
He has definitely already been through the TNR process. That’s really good news. That just leaves the other two!
Getting an animal spayed/neutered is one of the greatest gifts you can ever give them. They will be less prone to fight so they are less likely to be injured or contract certain diseases. They will have less risks of certain types of cancer. A female will not have to go through a risky pregnancy on the street and then have to protect a litter of unwanted kittens that will then contribute to more homeless animals (and that’s IF they survive). Many TNR programs have started doing vaccinations too.
Contact your local shelter to see if there are TNR programs available in your area willing to assist you. If so, you will have happier, healthier kitties!
All 3 have been spayed/neutered. Maybe you missed my mention of that last night in the thread but TNR has records and photos and have confirmed these cats come from the same house and all 3 have been spayed. All female btw

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't stop to think about this but it might explain the really interesting dynamics you're seeing, --female felines can be a little more snitty, and etcetera lol, about things ;)
That's true. Which knowing that Shaman and Treasure are also female but so close I wonder if they are litter mates. There is just that closeness between them and it's very rare you will see the one without the other. Once they all eat though, Shadow is fine with Shaman and Treasure and the other way around. But yea as you see in above photo, those two won't eat in separate bowls. They have to eat in the same food bowl.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now all 3 are together in the backyard because the food is gone. No fighting. I suppose it was that way when they were housecats, before their human passed away.