A Lot Of (still) Newbie Questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
l thought that might be the case, so maybe if shaman's food is behind a box ?
Only if I take the box out behind the garage. The area is very small and she will not approach at all if she sees Shadow there. See and Shadow is there now eaing again. I'm at wits end with this feeding situation

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, ok, I see. Hmmm.
Of course having a mother that doesn't understand and throws fits doesn't help the situation.

I know they pick up on our emotions but I"m scared that Shaman will move on if she doesn't get fed here. And that does make me sad as she was the first one of these 3 that came to me at a time that I was injured, and feeling very down and stayed.

And it seems Shadow and Treasure do not like SmartyKat catnip. Wonder why. They like the other kind I got but this seems to not phase them. I feel like I"m back at square -100 with them.

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, ok, I see. Hmmm.
Also if I'm wanting to TNR these cats, would it sound snotty if I ask the neighbors in person and on Next Door app to please not feed them so they're driven to my place for food? Again I'm so new to all of this and I do believe the sooner they are TNRd the more this fighting will cease.

See like right now I saw Shaman, put out her food as I saw no other cats and before she could make it Shadow comes and eats her food and since she saw Shadow from a distance she turned and ran off. I'm so scared that Shaman will not come back if this keeps up.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could try that, I don't know your neighbors but it's possible that if they understand the reasoning behind your request that they might.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try that, I don't know your neighbors but it's possible that if they understand the reasoning behind your request that they might.
See like right now I saw Shaman, put out her food as I saw no other cats and before she could make it Shadow comes and eats her food and since she saw Shadow from a distance she turned and ran off. I'm so scared that Shaman will not come back if this keeps up. And I know that they pick up on our emotions but even though they are all loved by me, Shaman does hold a special place in my heart since she was the first to come here. I'm just sad about this.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Catnip is like any plant I think, there are going to be flavor variations depending on where it's grown.

It appears that you're doing an amazing job in a very challenging situation.

These are cats. They have moods and other personality quirks, and you'll need to find ways to work within and around that. You'll figure it out, there's no need to panic.

Don't get me wrong, even my boy has frustrated me :) but perseverance is key. Hang in there!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It almost sounds as though there is something going on elsewhere that your shy cat is running at simply seeing the other cat.

Can you talk to a neighbor from a different perspective and see if anyone would make the shy cat an indoor cat?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Shaman and Treasure will not go anywhere without each other though. So I'd still have the problem. I tried to find someone to take Shadow but no one wants to take in a cat.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Treasure has no problem coming to the bowl. If she's hungry enough she chases Shadow off and vice versa. But someone already tried with Shaman and because Treasure was not with her their home was destroyed. So it falls on me to do this. And to be honest, if I had to choose only one cat, it would be Shaman to stay with me as she is the first one to appear especially right after my injury.

I have no idea what happened. Every so often they tolerate Shadow and it was Shaman who brought Shadow to the food bowl, as I watched her leading Shadow to the foo a few months ago

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Catnip is like any plant I think, there are going to be flavor variations depending on where it's grown.

It appears that you're doing an amazing job in a very challenging situation.

These are cats. They have moods and other personality quirks, and you'll need to find ways to work within and around that. You'll figure it out, there's no need to panic.

Don't get me wrong, even my boy has frustrated me :) but perseverance is key. Hang in there!!
I have one piece of china left (my ex years ago broke all but a small plate. Just curious if the china plate has "chemicals" on it that would hurt a cat. Maybe I can place her's on the step while the others eat above.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the glazing hasn't started to crack, chip or craze, you should be fine. Some people say that there are microscopic cracks a person can't see that will trap bacteria, but personally that isn't one of the things I worry about. :)

(Glad this person is ex status, goodness!)

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
If the glazing hasn't started to crack, chip or craze, you should be fine. Some people say that there are microscopic cracks a person can't see that will trap bacteria, but personally that isn't one of the things I worry sbout. :)

Ok thanks. Trying to look at what I have that can resolve this situation without a lot of crafting skill or time involved. I do have 2 big poster boards, both stained but could be used I suppose for something for the cats. My biggest obstacle is my Mom. Maybe I can do a video walk through of the yard and all to give an idea of what I have and don't have to work with.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm thinking those poster boards could come in really handy here...:thumbsup:
You could try a video or even a set of photos. The videos sometimes don't load but pictures usually aren't an issue.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking those poster boards could come in really handy here...:thumbsup:
You could try a video or even a set of photos. The videos sometimes don't load but pictures usually aren't an issue.
Cool. I'll do some googling to see what I can come up with.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
If the glazing hasn't started to crack, chip or craze, you should be fine. Some people say that there are microscopic cracks a person can't see that will trap bacteria, but personally that isn't one of the things I worry about. :)

This is the plate. It’s a saucer and I need to wash but

Attachments

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't find anything what to do with this poster board. She'll still see Shadow up here and then sneaking the food somewhere else where Mom won't see or food getting wet from the rain. :(

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Yaay, She's eating now while Treasure is standing guard. I would have stuck to the food schedule today but with Mom back and forth I didn't get a chance to bring the food back in. Treasure is looking for the missing Echo Dot though an vocalizing pretty loudly.

I know Shaman wants to eat inside the door because when I see Shadow come Shaman comes and sits right by the door but again having to deal with my Mom who is also allergic to cats

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From what I can see, that plate looks fine, you could always take a magnifying glass and double check for any cracks or crazing.

The poster boards could be a temporary visual barrier each meal, and it won't rain forever.

Last edited: