A Lot Of (still) Newbie Questions

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you feed shadow a little extra? Kind of weird that it is eating more food.
get shadow full so Shaman can eat? not sure if that will work.
that's all I got!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I can see, that lat looks fine, you could always take a magnifying glass and double check for any cracks or crazing.

The poster boards could be a temporary visual barrier each meal, and it won't rain forever.

Ok great. Yea surely this rain has to stop at some point right? Almost since last October we had 5 clear days, either rain or snow here.

Ok they both ate without interruption.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you feed shadow a little extra? Kind of weird that it is eating more food.
get shadow full so Shaman can eat? not sure if that will work.
that's all I got!
Shadow eats enough food at one time for 8 cats. I set out a humongous bowl for her yet she still comes back to eat more. She would go through a 22 lb bag of food and a case of wet each day if I set it out for her.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow. Does she have kittens somewhere? I forget, you said you were pretty sure one of them has been spayed or am I mixed up? Anyway, you should be able to see on her belly around the nipples if she's nursing.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
It has been confirmed that Shadow has been spayed. If she did have kittens she's not a good Mom as she spends 23 hours a day in plain sight.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like you've been adopted :). I wonder if she might have worms? Is she gaining any weight under your kind care?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
See and I can feed each cat separate times to avoid the fights and chasing off but then by the time I got through with the first feeding on cat 1, rotate to last cat it's time to feed Cat 1 again.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Numerous times I have called our local TNR for further help and never got a response. I truly am at my wits end. I guess I should have thought all of this out months ago. Very sad situation :(

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, ...just not really a workable approach I don't think.
Local TNR called. I PMd them on Facebook photos of the 3 cats. She handled all 3 of them last year. Seems that some man on the street behind me had 8 cats but died. Relatives came in, didn't want to deal with them and so just opened the door and shooed them out. They started raiding garbage bins at a local plant 3 blocks away and finally enough complaints came that TNR came, and fixed all 8 of them. 2 were non releasable and were taken to a no kill shelter and a woman adopted one. So that leaves Shadow, Shaman, Treasure, the other tabby (which I thought belonged to a neighbor) as well as a tuxedo marked looking cat that com out only at night accompanied by Treasure. So that still leaves me scratching my head. Shadow and Shaman lived in same house for some years, you'd think they would be used to one another, unless like in birds, there is a pecking order? Anyway TNR is going to contact the people who live just behind us and ask them to stop feeding these cats so we can easily trap them and make sure that they were spayed/neutered and vaccinated. But the time these cats showed up in my yard was the exact day the cats TNR had were released back into the area.

I know the man they speak of. He was 90+ years old. I'm just trying to picture a man that age, with bad legs having to play referee between Shadow and Shaman, unless, unlike me, he just put out the bowls in the kitchen and let them work it out between themselves.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He may have let them work things out, or maybe at that time there wasn't an issue.

There's a pecking order/heirarchy, most definitely, and it can change depending on a lot of things including how easy it is to get food.

This is really interesting! There, see? Patience and never giving up, it pays out both with the cats and with the TNR people. And, you might be able to ask them if they have suggestions about feeding one cranky and one shy cat :thumbsup:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
He may have let them work things out, or maybe at that time there wasn't an issue.

There's a pecking order/heirarchy, most definitely, and it can change depending on a lot of things including how easy it is to get food.

This is really interesting! There, see? Patience and never giving up, it pays out both with the cats and with the TNR people. And, you might be able to ask them if they have suggestions about feeding one cranky and one shy cat :thumbsup:
They do still want to bring traps though just to make certain. I do hope I get them back because I fell in love with all of them. But she said that the guy that occasionally feeds Treasure is willing to help me. He lives right behind me so we're trying to get a hold of him so they can bring the traps. Yea I'll have 3 grouchy cats soon.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
If they aren't fixed it will be $34 each which I don't have. I thought these groups did that for free.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me get my financial info;

I don't know if I have ever posted this for you;

(apologies for any dead links you may encounter);

Financial Assistance – Day By Day Caregiver Support Inc.

Financial Aid for Pets

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

Thank you. I had no idea the Humane Society would help with that? I've heard stories how the Humane Society does not return the feral or stray cats to you so I'm hesitant about using them.

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know, I'm not familiar with them either way.

Sadly, most of those on those lists don't service or help finance St. Louis MO. We only have the Feral center that wants us to pay and the Humane Society that I heard bad stuff about. What a mess :(