A Lot Of (still) Newbie Questions

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
(think about your teenage kid out past curfew).
LOL

It was Treasure but she was asleep, which of course sometimes cats do appear to be dead
Whew!! I'm so glad, and you sound so much better - I was nearly as worried about you as you were about the cats :heartshape:

Hang on to that vet's number/location, s/he sounds very reality-based and full of common sense!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL

Whew!! I'm so glad, and you sound so much better - I was nearly as worried about you as you were about the cats :heartshape:

Hang on to that vet's number/location, s/he sounds very reality-based and full of common sense!!
Thanks. I was getting very concerned after reading comments from search that even licking paws that came in contact with it long after floor was dry was fatal so reading the comments scared me.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
It's so nice when veterinarians are like the one you spoke with :thumbsup:

Big sigh of relief. All cats have been accounted for. Shaman is outside eating right now. This taught me a lesson, one that could have been much worse. I need to be totally focused when feeding these cats and not be trying to work earning money. Thankfully this time everything worked out and the cats are now taking turns eating instead of fighting. Thanks for bearing with me during this time.

She didn't eat much though before she seemed to have been distracted by the garbage truck. I notice she likes to watch things going on; she watched the gas lines be laid down on the street, watches the mail carrier going up and down the street, watches the garbage trucks and kids playing basketball totally intrigue her.

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha I was outside while Shaman was having lunch. I was also eating my own lunch of a Boars Head liverwurst sandwich and next thing I know she's almost right there on top of my foot eyeing my sandwich. I didn't give her any, of course as not sure if safe for cats, but for humans it sure was good.

Oh forgot to mention when she got through eating she heard some workers up the street and started to go and check out the noise by the fence. She stopped, looked at me for a minute as though asking permission, I said she can go if she wants and with that she went to the edge of the yard and is sitting there now watching the going ons up the street.

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea Boars Head uses onions and garlic in their deli meats. I use to sell for them so had tons of pamphlets of the ingredients. Otherwise I would have.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
So I set out food at 7:15 to 7:30 am to start the day for the cats. I have noticed on cam that all 3 show up between 5:30 to 6:00 am looking around for a bowl and then walk off. Shadow is the only one that is "patient" enough to stay around. I know that this is a human emotion and they are probably neither patient or impatient but best way I can describe it. She'll sleep on top of the box I made for them for 1 1/2 hours til I bring out the food. Treasure however connected the "put face in front of cam" and "food" together. I spoiled them so much, huh? Anyway I stuck to my guns and did not go dashing out the door the minute they showed up. It was probably harder on me then on them to hold out til "breakfast". And sadly I know they want to eat and take cover as more storms are rolling in. Shadow was here though and is beginning to know the routine. I knock on the window or door. That's when I go upstairs to get my coffee so she knows it won't be long. Then I come downstairs, bring out the food, and after placing the dish I click and step back. Time to think of a "last call" signal for them too so they know that at 6:30 pm the latest all dishes are brought inside.

BTW: I got my mini fridge. I mixed my sheba perfect portions into a container to keep in there and when it's time to feed I mix into the other food I serve. I know dry is not the best but it's the only kind that Shadow eats. After scooping the Sheba gravy into the food I add a pinch of the catnip (to stop the food fights) and then stir with just a bit of warm water. I have a hot water thing I use a lot for my instant coffees and teas. So far it's working.

If this rain would ever stop and the temps stayed nice, I'd love to be able to sit out there with my coffee or water but as it is right now, my only option due to weather is to stand at the door when I see they've come to eat or play.

At the moment Shadow is passed out sleeping on the cat tree while Treasure is eating. Peacefully.

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
The best word ever!

You could do a double or triple click, ..., or no, that straightforward sequence might be useful for something else. What about something like a double click brief pause one click sequence for the end of day?

That could work. Would I leave a few minutes after that, or like 30 minutes before bring in the food? Or I could do it when I set out the last meal, and by the time I finish mine? Again I have to work around a very stubborn elderly mother. Just trying to make this as stress free as possible for them and me.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I think, leave a few minutes after that and of course be really consistent. Anything else may not be clear to them as to what the signal is for.
Ok great that can work. I can do that when I come outside to dispose of the garbage and sweep up their area for if they want to sleep there for the night. I usually put away all but one toy as well and (following a suggestion I read on here on post) marinate the toys in catnip so they still learn it's for them. The toy I leave out all night marinates during the day.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds terrific :thumbsup:
In fact today while it's raining and storming so bad, it's a perfect time to clean up their area for them. I know they won't be venturing out to eat with this rain. Well, Shadow will, she was outside waiting for food in 75 mph wind. lol but the others won't I know.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Silly question but how do cats stay dry in bushes? These cats don't run for buildings during storms, but head for the bushes. Wouldn't you think they'd get more wet that way? So far Shaman is still off pouting. Sorry, not getting up in middle of night to feed. lol

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
So Treasure came to eat, play with the toys a bit and then went off. Shaman then came and ate some but got run off by Shadow. Just as she was sitting by the garage the neighbors tabby comes along and starts chasing her. Shaman peeks around the corner of the garage at me with imploring eyes like "help me". All the while Shadow is here eating away oblivious to anything else going on. lol

Oh sometimes I use things like what I said about Shaman "Help me" but that's the only way I know how to describe what I'm seeing. Just thought it was funny.