A Lot Of (still) Newbie Questions

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
You can simply use a knife and cut/smash it up? Buy a cheap knife or heck a mortar and pestle at the store and do it outside if you can’t use the kitchen.

You’ve been feeding them exclusively for a few months, right? And have they always had this issue with not eating the meat portion? I only ask because I wonder if you’ve notice any weight change in them. If they seem to be of a stable weight, they are likely supplementing their food with bugs and tiny animals. I know you say they don’t hunt, but you observe them running from squirrels and rabbits - I’m sure they go after much smaller prey. And while you watch them through the camera, they are probably hunting the most late at night or in the wee hours of the morning when you are asleep. So while you are doing awesome feeding them, I doubt a starving cat would refuse meat when offered. They are so lucky to have you, but I’m sure they hunt a little on their own too and won’t fully starve.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Shaman has always been the problem child. Treasure is the only one I've seen with any initiative to "hunt" and she just chases them but never hurts or kills anything. I have no idea about the other 3 but Shaman does run even from an ant which is the problem area that I have is with her.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ideas why they whine if the bowl is not full? Again I'm going by how Pepper was and she never whined if the bowl was not full. But some days they'll eat an entire can in a few gulps and then be whining for more and then the next day they take 2 or 3 bites, and come to door looking for more. I alternate the foods and brands they like. As far as I've seen Shaman has been the only one that is this picky. I really don't know if she has a medical issue or not as she won't let me "touch"her even though she playfully swatted my hand this morning (claws pulled in). All the other cats eat what I give them. Either way the yowling is getting complaints from the neighbors.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you notice if Shaman is losing weight?
Shaman looks the same as she always has. But it does seem she has gum issues, like I've said above so I don't know. If I could just get her to a vet without being yelled at that would resolve the entire situation.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
And since it's a pretty day outside (I had to literally take a photo of the sun as I forgot what it looks like) I closed the door on the two of them so they would go and play. Otherwise they'd be hanging around the door crying and whining. Especially if I get this Mom thing resolved they will wind up indoor cats so they better enjoy this 1/4 backyard while they can

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an idea how you can hide the dry food, put some in individual bags
and use masking tape to tape the bags under the sink or something on the top part where it is not visible. It's good to always have something on hand.
If they are hungry they will eat, as to the one that can't eat dry, you can mix water with dry food or broth.
If they are hungry they will eat!! I'm suspecting when they only lick the gravy
they are not hungry.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an idea how you can hide the dry food, put some in individual bags
and use masking tape to tape the bags under the sink or something on the top part where it is not visible. It's good to always have something on hand.
If they are hungry they will eat, as to the one that can't eat dry, you can mix water with dry food or broth.
If they are hungry they will eat!! I'm suspecting when they only lick the gravy
they are not hungry.
Thanks. I'll give that a try. What I have been trying is getting the untouched food and mixing it up again. Not sure if that's ideal but I'm guessing if they didn't have me they'd be eating a lot worse. And no the issue didn't start when I mixed the old with the new. It's been ongoing.

So in other words they just want to be sure the food is there for when they do get hungry?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Also I didn't think about this until I replied to another thread but is it normal for a cat to be overly possessive? I've seen Treasure "lay in wait" in a neighbor's yard and the minute she sees a human (other than me or Mom) or another cat step foot on our property she's in full attack mode. I have to distract her with food when the mail carrier comes around. I'm just wondering how common this is. Seems the only other cats she allows in the yard is Wichapi and Shaman.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, someone on Next Door found a dog house/catio that may work. And I can use the banister to anchor a mini awning to for the cat tree on the side. She's willing to come and put it up for me while Mom and I are gone next week and it's only $15.

View attachment 287921 View attachment 287922 View attachment 287923
Whatever happened to this? Were you able to purchase it from your neighbor?

Regarding dry food or any storage, if you can still put it on the side of your garage where you had the photo of the litterbox, you can get a large plastic storage tote to keep dry food or other cat food stuff you can’t take inside. Protected from the weather and out of sight.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly that will not work. Mom sees garage from all windows in house and since we have literally had only 7 clear days in an entire year the food would ruin.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Well it wouldn’t be ruined if stored in a sealed container. But if there’s no place to put said container I suppose that’s not so useful.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it wouldn’t be ruined if stored in a sealed container. But if there’s no place to put said container I suppose that’s not so useful.
May sound weird..i know..but trying to help..what about..would container fit under house

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly that will not work. Mom sees garage from all windows in house and since we have literally had only 7 clear days in an entire year the food would ruin.
Can container fit under house....sounds weird..i know...just ideas..;):dunno:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news:

First: I think I figured out the cat food thing. Just threw together ideas given by everyone. I can pick up the food when I'm running my errands and when my Mom is in the shower I can bring the food inside and put in a dresser drawer I just cleaned out for that purpose and then cover with a sheet.

Second: This morning Shaman playfully swatted me one time with her paw (claws retracted) but backed up like wondering if she did the right thing or not. I didn't push her but she knew that I was very excited and happy that she took the initiative. Second, for the first time in 6 weeks (since Treasure licked off the spoon) Shaman licked off the spoon tonight. I feel that this is a major break through. I offered her the spoon each meal like I do with treasure but she was resistant until tonight. Yaay. And she is the first one to come to me. BTW: 2 days from now is my one year anniversary of the fractured humerus. 3 days from now marks one year that Shaman strolled through my backyard for the first time and it was her that I felt something different, like she was sent to me. And she was. Through my tears over the baby bald eagle that had to be euthanized due to West Nile Virus to the disappearance of adult bald eagle in Northeast Florida Eagle Cam and also the disappearance of male bald eagle Justice in DC (my first eagle pair) Shaman was there for me staying close by.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Heart is breaking in two. I'm crying forever and ever. Ver severe storms. Cats almost got killed by uprooted tree. Hope all are ok or I can't do this anymore. So very very sad over this. Sadly this may be very last time I saw them an hour ago. Depressed I couldn't do more for them :(

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
3 more trees downed, 4 cars picked up by winds and carried up the street. Their "bushes" completely gone and a river there now. My heart is absolutely breaking that they may not have got away fast enough. :(

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
And I just had Treasure re domesticated and Shaman so close to being re domesticated and this tragedy strikes. Hopefully, if they are gone they knew how much I loved them. The entire property is just damaged. Tears are flowing heavily and the sorry weighs on my heart. :(