6 Yr Old Cat Super Anxious And Scared With Arrival Of 13 Week Kitten, Advice?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That she's not scared, is exactly what we want to hear. Sounds like things are progressing purr-fectly. :catman:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BubzaLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh guys I have to share what happened tonight because I was laughing so much (I know I shouldn't laugh when they have a little fall out but i couldn't help it). So they came in the lounge and Res cat went up to the kitten and surprisingly the kitten swatted Res cat. Res cat didn't react but then kitten did it again, so Res cat retaliated and hit her back and it knocked the kitten off her feet!!! She was absolutely fine, no marks at all, but it reminded me of those people that act really tough to impress others and get knocked down by a simple push. Res cat just walked off after and the kitten was just laying there like "oh my god!!" It's almost like she was trying to stand up to her and Res cat must have been laughing to herself at the puny swats. :flail:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Too funny. After talking about how most cats and kittens do get along I have to tell you about two of mine. My senior cat at that point was maybe 13 and was just over kittens. She had survived a couple of kittens grown to cats but as she got older and crabbier wanted nothing to do with them. So along comes Murphy who was the boldest, most obnoxious, hyperactive kitten ever and she just wouldn’t leave my senior alone. I wasn’t home the day their relationship changed so I can’t say what happened between them except that the kitten
had no marks or obvious signs of injury. I expect though that there were sincere death threats made because
from that day forward the kitten not only never went near or made eye contact with my senior and would actually walk across the room to avoid her. For the next four or five years until my senior passed each cat acted as though the other did not exist. Not the kind of relationship you hope for but it was at least peaceful.

BubzaLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I Jo
Too funny. After talking about how most cats and kittens do get along I have to tell you about two of mine. My senior cat at that point was maybe 13 and was just over kittens. She had survived a couple of kittens grown to cats but as she got older and crabbier wanted nothing to do with them. So along comes Murphy who was the boldest, most obnoxious, hyperactive kitten ever and she just wouldn’t leave my senior alone. I wasn’t home the day their relationship changed so I can’t say what happened between them except that the kitten
had no marks or obvious signs of injury. I expect though that there were sincere death threats made because
from that day forward the kitten not only never went near or made eye contact with my senior and would actually walk across the room to avoid her. For the next four or five years until my senior passed each cat acted as though the other did not exist. Not the kind of relationship you hope for but it was at least peaceful.
LMAO that's so bizarre I wonder what happened! Cats are just so funny without even trying to be, they come across so majestic and intelligent but then they have this other side that is so silly, cracks me right up!

I got the clothes rack at out tonight to hang the washing out in the spare room and Res cat ran like there was an axe maniac coming at her whilst the kitten just sat and watched!! She's such a big coward bless her :flail::flail:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh guys I have to share what happened tonight because I was laughing so much (I know I shouldn't laugh when they have a little fall out but i couldn't help it). So they came in the lounge and Res cat went up to the kitten and surprisingly the kitten swatted Res cat. Res cat didn't react but then kitten did it again, so Res cat retaliated and hit her back and it knocked the kitten off her feet!!! She was absolutely fine, no marks at all, but it reminded me of those people that act really tough to impress others and get knocked down by a simple push. Res cat just walked off after and the kitten was just laying there like "oh my god!!" It's almost like she was trying to stand up to her and Res cat must have been laughing to herself at the puny swats. :flail:
I have to add what mine did a couple of weeks ago- Waffles (older cat) will sometimes try to boot Mooshoo (younger cat) out of a spot if he wants to be there. Mooshoo a while ago started sometimes standing up to him like "go away buddy, I'm not moving."
So Waffles jumped up on a chair that Mooshoo is on and she (Mooshoo) immediately went ears back, hissing, growling, head low looking at Waffles as in "you try anything and you'll be sorry" Waffles just sat and kept looking at her, no tension or anything, looked at me like "can you believe this little thing? (shakes head)" and walked off. They crack me up.

BubzaLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have to add what mine did a couple of weeks ago- Waffles (older cat) will sometimes try to boot Mooshoo (younger cat) out of a spot if he wants to be there. Mooshoo a while ago started sometimes standing up to him like "go away buddy, I'm not moving."
So Waffles jumped up on a chair that Mooshoo is on and she (Mooshoo) immediately went ears back, hissing, growling, head low looking at Waffles as in "you try anything and you'll be sorry" Waffles just sat and kept looking at her, no tension or anything, looked at me like "can you believe this little thing? (shakes head)" and walked off. They crack me up.
LMAO your two sound so fun! Cats have such weird ways about them, it's comical!!

BubzaLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I haven't updated in over a week I think so decided to come and let you all know what's happening. We now leave all the doors open permanently and the cats are free to roam, they are always in contact with one another but Res cat is still not very certain. If the kitten gets too close she'll either move away, meow or swat her (gently). Kitten is obsessed with Res cat now and is constantly following her and trying to entice her to play and you can definitely tell Res cat wants to but it's like she's got this stubborn wall up that says "no I can't play with you I hate you!!!". There's been a few moments (today for example) where res cat has got a little too aggressive with her swats but so far she's never hurt the kitten (touch wood she doesn't). They are still eating together and are now using eachothers litter trays, last night Res cat even decided to sleep in our bedroom with me, my partner and the kitren. No she wasn't on the bed with us 3 she was on her cat bed lol but she still stayed there which she hasn't done so far. Really hoping the next few weeks allow them to bond and Res cat gets over this phase, she'll be happier and so will the kitten!

BubzaLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh and Res cats redirected aggression to me and my partner has pretty much gone now. There's been a few times where I think she's felt a bit overwhelmed so she's given us a little warning meow and a few harmless swats just to say "leave me alone" but other than that it's been fine. The first week of having the kitten Res cat wouldn't let us touch her if she knew kitten was near by, I don't know if she was scared we were gonna force her to go near the kitten, but like today they were less than a ft from eachother and Res cat was having a nice rub on the head and under her cheeks.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
This sounds so good! The enticing to play is a good thing! My Mooshoo (younger) did that with Waffles and she really didn't give up. She kept going back over and over to get him to play. It was fun to watch.
It took I think about 2 months before Waffles finally loosened up enough to play with her, and he found how much fun it was and the games of tag, chase, stalk, hide, pounce were on. They each initiated it and traded being the chaser and the chasee.
Waffles won't really snuggle with her except rarely- as in my avatar- though she would love it if he would. She's basically given up trying that. And only rarely with they groom each other.
So, that was mine- it can take awhile but your res. cat sounds really good with the kitten, all normal cat stuff. Is being cautious about this new little monster! Hopefully Res. will play.

Leonslave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Understand totally how you feel my 3 year old cat is very similar with a 9 week old kitten we have just adopted.