2013 Secret Santa received thread!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

You can always request that you get someone in your own country :) I did overseas one year and shipping was horribly expensive, but this year I requested a stateside Santee, and had no shipping problems.
That's not always possible.  It really depends on where a person lives and who particiaptes.  Sometimes we can work things out; but not always.

You'll have to join us next year Stewball. lt was a lot of fun.

Great job organizing, @MoochNNoodles   
Thank you!  I'm just glad we had such great participants and I didn't have to break out my "Naughty List."

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's not always possible.  It really depends on where a person lives and who particiaptes.  Sometimes we can work things out; but not always.

Thank you!  I'm just glad we had such great participants and I didn't have to break out my "Naughty List."
It seems in years past it hasn't went so well, I think putting the restrictions and rules makes a huge difference. I understand about not always working things out, I guess it is harder. But yeah, you did a good job- I think you paired the recipients and givers up nicely.

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you!  I'm just glad we had such great participants and I didn't have to break out my "Naughty List." :lol3:
Ooooh. What's your ' naughty' list?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooooh. What's your ' naughty' list?
People who don't play by the rules (ie: dont bother shipping their packages in a timely manner, or at all.).  This exchange has been going on for years now so the rules have evolved over time to make it a better experience for everyone.  That's why we make it so you have to have a certain number of posts in the months leading up to SS and be a member for a certain amount of time.  It's more fun to exchange with someone who participates regularly.  And people who've put in time here are more likely to follow through with their commitment.  No one wants to loose out.  We do our best to help that not happen. Now things get held up in customs or lost in shipping from time to time; but they generally surface and it's not held against the giver when that happens.  We just want people to play fair; does that make sense?  Sometimes we have more overseas people participating and we can match them up; it just varies by year.  I think we've tried to be upfront about things; like if you are shipping overseas or from one country to another, part of saying "yes I'll play" is acknowledging that you'll have to ship sooner and maybe think about lighter and smaller gifts so it costs you less. 

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

People who don't play by the rules (ie: dont bother shipping their packages in a timely manner, or at all.).  This exchange has been going on for years now so the rules have evolved over time to make it a better experience for everyone.  That's why we make it so you have to have a certain number of posts in the months leading up to SS and be a member for a certain amount of time.  It's more fun to exchange with someone who participates regularly.  And people who've put in time here are more likely to follow through with their commitment.  No one wants to loose out.  We do our best to help that not happen. Now things get held up in customs or lost in shipping from time to time; but they generally surface and it's not held against the giver when that happens.  We just want people to play fair; does that make sense?  Sometimes we have more overseas people participating and we can match them up; it just varies by year.  I think we've tried to be upfront about things; like if you are shipping overseas or from one country to another, part of saying "yes I'll play" is acknowledging that you'll have to ship sooner and maybe think about lighter and smaller gifts so it costs you less. 
I was just going through my subscriptions and saw this post and I swear my jaw almost hit the floor- I too thought SS went sssooooo well and you did a FANTASTIC job organizing it, so I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this. Obviously, now that I have the context I see you were just explaining and that everything is in fact okay. WHEW! 

But, since I'm thinking about it now, I want to personally say thank you again to MoochNNoodles for organizing, Draco and mrsgreenjeans for snooping, and all the other team members who helped out to make this years SS so successful. Most of all, I want to give a big thank you to all those who participated. It seems every single person really went above and beyond to try and make it special for their recipient. It's really quite an amazing thing to see- so many people from all over the world loving and caring about someone who they have never met in person. I, for one, am so glad to have been a part of it, and plan to be for years to come!

Happy New Year everyone! 

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think this is the first year that I can remember where we didn't need Santa's Elves to step in and send parcels.

I'm glad I took the chance to participate this year. It was such fun and sure made up for the last time I participated.

It really is more fun when the participants are actually familiar because they have been posting and interacting on the forums.  The last time I participated I was paired up with someone I didn't even recognize and had to search to figure out who they were; only to find they rarely posted and vanished for weeks and months at a time, even at SS time.  I was so disappointed.

I hope next years SS is as fun as this year's was!!!

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think this is the first year that I can remember where we didn't need Santa's Elves to step in and send parcels.

I'm glad I took the chance to participate this year. It was such fun and sure made up for the last time I participated.

It really is more fun when the participants are actually familiar because they have been posting and interacting on the forums.  The last time I participated I was paired up with someone I didn't even recognize and had to search to figure out who they were; only to find they rarely posted and vanished for weeks and months at a time, even at SS time.  I was so disappointed.

What do the elves do?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What do the elves do?
They replaced a SS after the fact. If by a certain date after Christmas someone didn't received their parcel, someone (usually someone who was a SS), was given the person's name and shopped and sent out another parcel. 

Last edited:

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

They replaced a SS after the fact. If by a certain date after Christmas someone didn't received their parcel, someone (usually someone who was a SS), was given the person's name and shopped and sent out another parcel. 
Oh okay, that hardly seems fair to the elves, no wonder there are so many rules! :)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I think since we have a smaller group participating it's easier to pair people up in a way.  The year they had over 100 people; I have no idea how they worked that out!  I know I participated that year; but I wasn't on the team at the time.  We do still have 2 packages in transit; and a couple anxious Santas who've been PMing me to see if I've heard the package they sent arrived.

Oh okay, that hardly seems fair to the elves, no wonder there are so many rules! :)
I promise we only make it harder to play for good reasons!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay!!! All the chocolate (and Tim Tams) have been freed! :woohoo:

(I tried posting earlier but something wasn't letting me. :smash: )

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
They're really something for chocoholics! I wonder why they're seasonal? I found an online shop for them in Germany, but it only takes orders in December. DH has already eaten two of the four packages I got for him.