Young Kitten With Several Issues - Possible Felv

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have trapped and rescued three kittens on Dec 30th, a female and two males.
The vet says they're about 3 and a half months old. One of them was sneezing and coughing, another one had a sore eye, the third one was fine.
I took them to the vet right away, and the vet held them at the clinic for treatments and assessment. The diagnosis was of a Herpes Virus, and they were put on antibiotics, pills and ointment for their eyes. They decided to treat them all, even if one was apparently fine.

Meanwhile I started looking for new families for them, and despite the fact it was the end of the year and people were distracted by the celebrations, in a few hours I received several phone calls for them, especially for the female. Undoubtedly she is/was the prettiest of the three and in my life I had rarely seen something more beautiful.
Unfortunately the sore eye was detracting much from her, but I was positive that the right cures and medicines would have done the miracle once again. In the last two years I had rescued several kittens in this condition, and they all came out fine.
To all people who called me I told that the kittens would have been re-homed only after they were discharged from the clinic and the vets were saying they were fine for adoption.

As I was saying, the female received most of the requests, I had to pick the most reliable one, just like for the other two siblings.
Unfortunately her sore eye went worse and worse, and on Wednesday she lost it... :(

As I easily thought, the person who had chosen her now rejected her, and on Wednesday chose one of the two males instead. The other male went to another reliable couple on the same day.
All kittens were discharged on Wednesday at noon.

The female came home with me for better treatments, as per vet instructions. I received a prescription and bought all the meds. I also gave her two sessions of nebulizer.
She's rather feral, but was so weak that she accepted everything.
The only thing was that she wasn't eating, drinking and using the litter.
I force fed with chuncks of food in her mouth, I gave her water with a syringe. I also gave her a high-energy broth... nothing worked.
So, yesterday in the afternoon I took her to a different vet who held her at the practice and this morning she told me that the kitten hadn't eaten. She force fed her the same way I did.
The vet ran a CBC and found a high WBC, especially lymphocites, which is consistent with a viral infection, and an RBC on the low end of the range, which could be normal for a kitten.

The vet suspects a FeLV or FIV... She will run a test in the afternoon (it's 3 pm here) and in the late afternoon she will let me know :(
She says that although the kitten is very young, a positive test will give us the certainty of her disease. A negative test would tell us that the kitten is NON-positive.

If the kitten does not start eating on her own, the vet will put a nose feeding-tube to the kitten... It's so unfair, she's so young and has to go through all this already... :bawling:

If the kitten is positive to FIV and/or FeLV the worst is yet to come!
The person who rejected the female and chose her little brother has a young kitty in her home already. I gave her this kitty in August... This kitty is not vaccinated for FeLV because she's an indoor only cat.
The couple who adopted the other kitten has recently lost a young cat to FeLV and were still in pain. They wouldn't like to have another FeLV kitten in their home...
Furthermore, the three kittens come from my feline colony, and this would mean that FeLV is running in the colony!

Please, pray she will live healthy and strong!

White_1r.jpg

As she was a few days before Christmas

White_2r.jpg

As she was when I caught her on Dec 30th

White_3r.jpg

Along with her brother on Jan 2nd, the night before she lost her eye

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
You are proof there are angels here on earth.
I couldn't agree more. I will hope and pray that the kitten responds to your TLC and the tests do not come back positive for FIV and/or FeLV. I know you have been through so much heartache with your Lola. :hugs: Sending special thoughts and healing vibes for this very special little female kitty. :vibes:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Antonio65, you know I will pray for that sweet angel to be OK, she has been through enough. Your caring and kindness knows no limits, you are such a comfort to the suffering ones on Crossing the Bridge. :rock: Surely God will hear our prayers and take mercy on that sweet baby! Sending all my healing vibes to her, please give her a kiss for me! :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update.
Half an hour ago I called the vet.
The kitten isn't fine yet, hasn't eaten on her own, the vet said she's a bit livelier than this morning. The temperature is good.
The test came back non-positive which should be a good news.
Next update tomorrow before noon.
Tomorrow is a holiday here, the vet will be working anyway!
Thanks to all of you who are supporting this kitten, your prayers and thoughts have done part of a miracle! :)

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still no good news :(
The kitten isn't eating or drinking on her own. She's on a drip and is force fed with Hill's A/D. The temperature is still fine.
No poop yet. The vet said she's going to give her an enema. While taking the temperature, she found some traces of poop on the tip of the thermometer and analyzed that and found lots of parasites despite the pill I gave the kitten on Thursday. The pill is Drontal, don't know if in US you know it.
The kitten pees, but she doesn't go to the litter, she pees on herself, and is always wet and smelly... :(
Next updates in two hours time.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, Antonio. I'm so sorry she's not getting better. I'll say a special prayer for her, she needs prayers to help her get on the road to recovery. May the Lord help her little body heal itself!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The update of 5 pm (it's 11:30 pm here, sorry for being slow) is as follows.

The kitten had licked some of the gravy of a pouch the vet gave her, but still no proper food. She peed twice in the litter and once in her bed... it seems she can't tell when it's time to walk to the tray, or she's just too weak to do that every time.
She also pooped, the first time she did it in the last 72h or more!!!
She hadn't eaten, so this could be one of the reason. She was also rather dehydrated. The vet said that the poop was a tangle of roundworms, and asked me again if I was sure I gave the kitten the pill. So she adviced me to repeat the treatment in two weeks time rather than a month.
She didn't mention anything about the nasogastric tube, I may think it isn't necessary anymore?
She said that the kitten might come back home tomorrow in the late afternoon. The practice would be closed on Saturdays afternoon and Sundays, so it's great that the vet took this case seriously.

Meanwhile a group of persons who usually help feral and stray cats have known about this kitten and stepped forward to help this kitten too and will try to find a new home for her as soon as she is able to face this new adventure. Until then, she'll be a guest in my home. Pallina won't be very happy, but they will never meet. Furthermore today Pallina has received a new wonderful bed, she loves it :), this should compensate for any inconvenience ;)

A new adventure is going to begin :confused:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for the update. :thanks: It sounds like things are moving in the right direction, fingers crossed. :crossfingers: I'm also glad the vet has taken her case seriously and given it close attention. I hope the group who helps feral/stray cats will be able to find this little girl a new home but first things first, a full recuperation is most important. Bless you for taking her in and giving her a chance. :hugs:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitten is at home!
We have given her a name. Meet Bianca, it means White in Italian, it's a color but also a feminine name.
The vet told me she was eating and using the litter on her own, even if occasionally she still pees in her bed. She's breathing much better than three days ago, the noise from her nose has almost gone.
An antibiotic has been added to the therapy, Veraflox, for at least 15 days.
Bianca is much less aggressive than three days ago.
Since she's here, she hasn't eaten yet, but she played with a toy mouse :) and took it in her bed.
The vet is positive that Bianca will find a home soon. She said that there are people who love three-legged cats and people who love one-eyed cats.
I will spread the news around as soon as she is better.

Any idea why she's peeing in her bed rather than in the litter two steps away? I'm currently protecting her bed with a double layer of puppy pads, but as long as she keeps peeing in her bed, she'll be smelling bad, and I cannot bathe her due to her conditions, I can only wipe her with wet wipes, but the results are poor.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank goodnes she’s back and you are taking care of her personally. She’ll likely to eat later once she feels more comfortable at home.

Can you move the litter box nearer to her or possible for the time being leave it on the bed till she’s much better and stronger and slowly move it back where it was?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today's update :)
The kitten has eaten a lot shortly before midnight, about an hour after my last post, and used the litter for pee. No poop yet.
This morning she ate something more.
She purrs at me every time she sees me, opposite to bites and scratches of three days ago :biggrin:
She had her nebulizer session with no hassle at all :) she is so sweet and quiet!
I'm already in love with her ;)

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two days later, the kitten is a new kitten! :)
Her eye is still bad, she keeps it closed, but it's red and sore. She purrs loudly whenever she sees me, and has a meow like a lion :lol:
She occasionally coughs and sneezes, but much less than two days ago or even a week ago, when she couldn't even breathe.
She has two sessions of nebulizer a day (with cortisone), two oral antibiotics once daily, an antibiotic ointment three times a day, lots of L-lysine in her wet food.
She eats like a wolf, 150 grams of R/C Recovery a day and about 30 grams of kitten dry food. All fine in the litter, I have never seen a worm in her poop.

Her belly is incredibly swollen, she looks like an egg! But she's fine and don't see any other symptom related to it.
Could this be just roundworms and other parasites that are still bothering her? I gave her 1/4 pill of Drontal on Jan 4th, the vet has told me to repeat it after 15 days.

Next step is to find someone who will adopt her, but not before her first therapies are over, I wouldn't trust anybody else on handling them. This means at least two more weeks.
She's terribly sweet and lovely, this should be playing in her favor, but with an eye only and the perspective of further expenses, I think that nearly nobody would embark on such a trouble.
In a very few weeks time, as soon as she's feeling fine, her lost eye has to be removed, and in a couple of months she will spayed. The vet said that it is likely her health will be delicate and relapses of respiratory issues are possible throughout her life. The vet also said that L-lysine should be given for a long time now, about 2 months, and in the following couple of years she should take it every other month for 30 days each time.
Those who will adopt her must be special persons, must be patient, consistent, loving and willing to spend. It won't be easy... :(

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bianca pancia.jpg

Here's a picture of her shape about an hour ago. The large and swollen belly is clear enough. Her chest looks fine and right after her belly, her hips look fine too, but her waist is probably double its normal size.
She's fine, though, and keeps eating like a wolf!
Do roundworms have the cat eat more and more?
(the yellowish area on her neck is probably due to the light in the room)