Yearly Reminder - Easter Lilies Are Toxic To Cats

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
We now have our own article on the topic as well!

[article="33397"]Cats Lilies Avoid The Danger Lurking In Your Home​[/article]  

Please share it on Facebook etc. if you can. I'll feature it on the main page as well.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Almost that time of year again. Keep your cats safe from lilies and other toxic plants!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Thanks for the reminder! I just featured our article in the site's main page.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It isn't just Easter Lilies that are toxic - it is ALL lilies. Tulips, hyacinths, daffodils all are popular Easter plants and flowers - all are toxic. I warn my customers that if they have cats to keep all flowers up away from them.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hope everyone who celebrates Easter has a safe holiday with their pets :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bumping up as a a reminder to all that lilies are toxic to cats. Keep your cat safe by not bringing lilies into your home.

Cats & Lilies: Avoid The Danger Lurking In Your Home

Many other plants are harmful to cats as well. If in doubt if a plant is safe or not, check these lists before you bring a plant into your home:

Poisonous Plants
Plants that may poison your pets
http://animalfriendstexas.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/CommonPoisonousPlants080111-1.pdf

And an app so you have a list right at your fingertips:

Apple: ‎Animal Poison by ASPCA
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aspca.animalpoison

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are so many plants that are toxic to our cats and other animals that it wise to check all plants growing in your garden.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is NOT just Easter lilies that are highly toxic - it is every plant in the Lilium genus. Popular for the spring also is hydrangeas, Narcissus (daffodils, paperwhites), tulips, hyacinths, among others - all are toxic. IF you must give a plant to a pet lover I always suggested an orchid to my customers when I was working. Remember too that cut flowers and plants are usually treated with insecticides and fungicides, especially if imported, so may have residue on the leaves.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reminder. My mom buys Lillies all the time and all her cats and kittens have avoided them. In my experience my cats have avoided my cut Lilly flowers to. Now roses? That is a different story!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...and people have insisted my Michael's lilies are real. So please, if you love lilies, get the "silk" ones. No one will ever know the difference, except for your healthy cats.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lilies are not the only one. There was lots of potted tulips and they are toxic too.
My rule is, don't buy and plant to put anywhere until you search it out. If somebody gives you one, isolate it to a closed room or give it to somebody else.
This rule also applies to outside if your cat has a place to be outside for awhile. They are so curious, they notice anything new and might try to take a taste.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lilies are not the only one. There was lots of potted tulips and they are toxic too.
My rule is, don't buy and plant to put anywhere until you search it out. If somebody gives you one, isolate it to a closed room or give it to somebody else.
This rule also applies to outside if your cat has a place to be outside for awhile. They are so curious, they notice anything new and might try to take a taste.
Good advice! Of course my beloved cats are indoors-only, and the few real plants I have are not only safe, they are never bothered by cats. As for outdoors, there has never been an incident of any cat biting anything except grass, to my knowledge, and I do not use or allow any chemicals or pesticides to be used on our property.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Posiepurrs is right. It isn't just Easter Lilies.

My mom always loved giving wonderful, very elaborate sit-down dinner parties for our friends and family during the Holiday Season. It's odd because the smell of hyacinths, paperwhites and even Casablanca Lilies, Rubrum Lilies, and Stargazer Lilies all remind me of Christmas, not Spring. My mom would buy hyacinth and paperwhite bulbs and force them. She would scatter them throughout our house, and then the florist would bring in beautiful Stargazers, Casablancas, and Rubrums. But Massena, my mother's beautiful Himalayan cat, named after her adored Baccarat crystal pattern, was always firmly ensconced at my grandmother's when those flowers were in the house. My mom knew they were poisonous to cats. I know where I get my love of felines from: my mom treated her cats like they were my brothers and sisters. And now I do the same thing. My kids are alway accusing me of loving the cats more than them!
:wavey:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Posiepurrs is right. It isn't just Easter Lilies.

My mom always loved giving wonderful, very elaborate sit-down dinner parties for our friends and family during the Holiday Season. It's odd because the smell of hyacinths, paperwhites and even Casablanca Lilies, Rubrum Lilies, and Stargazer Lilies all remind me of Christmas, not Spring. My mom would buy hyacinth and paperwhite bulbs and force them. She would scatter them throughout our house, and then the florist would bring in beautiful Stargazers, Casablancas, and Rubrums. But Massena, my mother's beautiful Himalayan cat, named after her adored Baccarat crystal pattern, was always firmly ensconced at my grandmother's when those flowers were in the house. My mom knew they were poisonous to cats. I know where I get my love of felines from: my mom treated her cats like they were my brothers and sisters. And now I do the same thing. My kids are alway accusing me of loving the cats more than them!
:wavey:
...which is as it should be. My ex once said, "You love your cats more than me!" I did not answer him. Because he knew. ;)