Yearly Reminder - Easter Lilies Are Toxic To Cats

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom wanted me to pick up a lily plant for our neighbor across the street. This was the day after Sara was diagnosed with acute renal failure. I don't even want to touch the things right now!!

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about pepper plants? Are pepper plants harmful? I'm asking because someone gave me some seeds for a pepper plant.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ornamental pepper is toxic to pets: http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/ornamental-pepper

Pepper plants grown for the peppers to use for cooking and eating purposes may or may not be hamrful. I guess it depends on what type of pepper (sweet, chili, etc).

http://www.ehow.com/info-tip_10023103_sweet-pepper-plants-toxic-cats.html

https://www.vetinfo.com/toxic-plants-cats.html

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/pethealth/special_subjects/poisoning/plants_poisonous_to_animals.html

I suggest to be on the safe side and either don't grow the seeds at all or grow them outside away from the cats, assuming your cats are indoors only.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad that this was thread is here.  My vet clinic also sends out a letter to all their clients with this reminder, it's good that more and more people are aware.  I love lilies but I enjoy them at church and in the floral section at the supermarket not at home.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also hydrangea or whatever those sweet smelling purlle pink and white flowers are that grow when the daffodils grow...someone gave me some for my birthday and I have to plant them elsewhere. Sometimes people don't realize that the gifts they give are hazardous.
Plants don't come with warning labels unfortunately and it's kind of unresonable to ask expect anyone who gives flowers and plants as gifts to know what is toxic to the recipient's pets. Personally I think it's best practice to keep a questionable plant far away from the pet until you can determine from the ASPCA list or other source if the plant is harmful / toxic or not. If you're not 100% sure even after checking several sources, take the plant to work or give it away to someone who can enjoy it (nursing home or senior center, maybe?). Outdoor plants are a little harder to take somewhere
Maybe a neighbor or relative would be happy to have the plant in their yard. Or offer it on FreeCycle or Craigslist, adding a warning to the posting that the plant may be harmful to pets.

chenxiaoshuai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for reminding, now I have to remove 150sqf of lilies in the garden of our new home 

Any idea what flowers to replace them with? Zone 5, shade. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Bumping this up. :)

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about tomato plants?  I am growing some outside my back stoop, in pots, and Katy walks right by them to get into the back door.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very glad this isn't my religion and I never receive these.  I do have some "silk" ones, though, and I've actually had people caution me about them, they look so realistic to them!  The only plants I have in the house are a couple of succulents up in the bay window in the kitchen, that are harmless and that they never get close to, let alone bother.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just to be on the safe side, I don't have any plants in my house. I have had catnip but that was a while ago. I'm not one to keep plants alive. My daughter has a cactus but that's all we have.