Worried About Feeding 6 Week Old Kitten?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

billtabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I'm actually thinking of moving her out of my bathroom and into a pen like the one below.

If I order now I can get it tomorrow. I can move have it moved to somewhere much quieter so she isn't disturbed by all the noise from the bathroom and it'll be easier to watch her.

Bad thing of course is that my three other cats will have easy access to her and I don't want her to think she is trapped and surrounded. Her weight last night before her last dinner was 0.66 kg. Planning to get her last 3-1, second round of dewormer, and stool test next week when she just reaches 8 weeks.

Thoughts?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How are the other cats so far? they are aware of her already, are they acting much differently than before she arrived on the scene?
For that price, it might be worth it I think - you can always adjust over time...

billtabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How are the other cats so far? they are aware of her already, are they acting much differently than before she arrived on the scene?
For that price, it might be worth it I think - you can always adjust over time...
Ehh the male one is more interested, the two females hissed and then lost interest. The male one I guess may be a bit more aggressive and biting with the other two females though, although he is only 5 months old himself.

What dimensions would you say are fine for a pen of a kitten that size, until she is say 10 weeks old?

The one I'm looking at may actually be too small at 17” x 29” x 29” when open

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
oh, didn't realize they have three sizes...ummm.
How active is she? --10 weeks.....maybe the medium sized one - it's only for a couple more weeks but you do want enough space for her to move around, plus she'll be having to maneuver around the litter pan, food and water bowls...

billtabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh, didn't realize they have three sizes...ummm.
How active is she? --10 weeks.....maybe the medium sized one - it's only for a couple more weeks but you do want enough space for her to move around, plus she'll be having to maneuver around the litter pan, food and water bowls...
Yeah going with this one.

45 x 45 x 20 inches

Good bit bigger and should be fine. My biggest worry now is how the other cats will treat her while she's in the pen, and how scared she'll be essentially trapped I suppose.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
On that, there's really no way to know until you actually try it out and just see what everybody does...I mean, the others will be curious, and hopefully that's all there is to it. :goodluck:

billtabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On that, there's really no way to know until you actually try it out and just see what everybody does...I mean, the others will be curious, and hopefully that's all there is to it. :goodluck:
Okay, you think the size will be fine?

chromecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How is she going with food? Have you tried crushed dry food? My foster kitten would not touch the dry one until today, I tried to crush it and she loved it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At 7 weeks, she’s still a baby in terms of litter training. She will get it soon!

She will also outgrow the housing you ordered very quickly. She will want out before too long.

billtabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is she going with food? Have you tried crushed dry food? My foster kitten would not touch the dry one until today, I tried to crush it and she loved it.
Uh I'm sticking to the raw and wet food combo for now. Honestly she is still only eating when I'm spoon feeding her, and if I leave some on a small plate she won't touch.

Not much luck with dry. She's 7 weeks one day now, should I try? How exactly did you crush, and how small?

chromecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet suggested to try it and it worked but it doesn't work all the time, it really depends on the day. So fussy! I simply crush 4 or 5 kibbles in a mortar in very small pieces until it's breadcrumbs size, and sprinkle it all over her food. Yesterday though she didn't take it, she decided she only wanted milk.