Worried About Feeding 6 Week Old Kitten?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

billtabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any grocery store, Libby's pure pumpkin will do it. There are canned pumpkin puree with seasoning, just look at the ingredients to be sure, maybe organic pure pumpkin if available.
Okay will look for it. How should I give it to her? Mixed in with the already mixed in raw and wet food? Or just give it to her plain. She's a very picky eater right now so not sure how to best proceed.

billtabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pure canned pumpkin comes from the supermarket. Just make sure its not pie filling or anything like that, the only ingredient should be pumpkin, a lot of times it's kept in the baking isle. I saw recently that Authority (a cat/dog food brand sold at Petsmart) sells a pumpkin food for digestion aid as well, but from what I can see it's also literally just one ingredient, pumpkin.

Honestly, I would wait until day four to bring her to the vet for an enema. 48 hours still is not yet concerning given her serious environmental/dietary changes. If you go with pumpkin, it should do the trick. It's commonly suggested by veterinarians as a first step in the case of mild constipation.

A large cause of constipation is not drinking enough water. Make sure she is either drinking formula/water. I've found that cat water fountains work wonders in getting stubborn cats to drink.
Okay, the thing is she's only eaten raw and wet food, so she must be getting a good bit of water there even if she hasn't touched the water bowl. Which I replace every 12 hours.

How should I give the pumpkin to her? Just mixed in or regular? Worried given how she refuses to eat most things she won't touch it.

billtabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just add a few drops of olive oil to her food each time you feed her. This will soften her poop.

You can also shave a kitten sized sliver from a glycerin suppository and insert it. This will usually bring on a poop after a few minutes.

Dietary changes do frequently result in constipation initially in kittens.
Okay I use this kind of olive oil. I assume this is fine?

Google Express

Will add a tiny bit to her food next time I feed her.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mixed in with the already mixed in raw and wet food
Yes, try it this way, I don't know how much as I've never had to do this but I would think a rather small amount.
EDIT, i'm actually thinking try the olive oil first. Then, if that doesn't do the job try some pumpkin.

billtabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, try it this way, I don't know how much as I've never had to do this but I would think a rather small amount.
EDIT, i'm actually thinking try the olive oil first. Then, if that doesn't do the job try some pumpkin.
Okay I assume the olive oil I linked above will be fine? Can't imagine there'll be any differences, but just to be sure.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry, I meant to clarify that yes, although I'm not a vet in any way, but I think it's fine - better than some.

bklyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Give her a teaspoon of olive oil mixed in her food to start, and you can do this twice daily until she poops. Olive oil is a great natural laxative, but it can cause a vitamin A deficiency if you use it every day, so only do this for a day or two and it should work. Beyond that, she would have to see a vet for a proper laxative and/or enema, but I don't think that will be necessary.

billtabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well fed her again with the olive oil this time. She ate a bit, and then played and then peed. That was it :/

bklyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's not going to work instantly. It sounds like she's doing well, don't overthink it. Chronic constipation is a problem, but that's not what's happening here. Constipation in her situation is to be expected and will very likely resolve soon. Stay the course, continue to give her a little bit of olive oil twice a day, and reevaluate tomorrow. It's not putting her in any immediate danger.

billtabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's not going to work instantly. It sounds like she's doing well, don't overthink it. Chronic constipation is a problem, but that's not what's happening here. Constipation in her situation is to be expected and will very likely resolve soon. Stay the course, continue to give her a little bit of olive oil twice a day, and reevaluate tomorrow. It's not putting her in any immediate danger.
Okay thanks! Weird question, I've kept her in the bathroom for now since my other cats are around and I have no where else to put her. I actually haven't taken a shower since Friday since I'm didn't want to frighten her. Should I take her into a carrier and move her her out for this, or do you think it won't be too scary for her?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just a few drops of olive oil are enough. The oil you indicated is fine.

Pumpkin is half a teaspoon mixed into her wet food.

Put her in a carrier and move her out of the bathroom so you can shower.

It’s okay to let your other cats see and smell her through the carrier.

billtabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly being looking at a lot of 5-6 week old kittens. I feel like she can't possibly be 6 weeks old? She still struggles at times to walk, although can do a gallop run. Thoughts? At 1.3 pounds? I know she was the runt but still....

billtabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

So good news the kitten finally went today in the morning an hour ago. Fed her breakfast with a bit of olive oil. She went to the litter box peed, and then passed stool. However it really doesn't look like much stool given she hasn't gone in almost three days.

Also concerned since she did seem to strain quite a lot when she was going. She was making unhappy sounds and it did take a bit of time.

So thoughts?

billtabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just want to thank everyone for all the help! Greatly appreciate it. I made an appointment for her in 2 weeks to go to the vet to get her 3-1, second round of deworming, and fecal test. Will get her rabies and spay a bit later.

Just curious, what would you say at this points are the biggest worries for a kitten this young? I got my other kittens when they were 12, 16, and 14 weeks old and they all had URI's when I got back.

Can't really tell much with the 6 week old one. She seems to have a weak purr, but that's it?

bklyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I honestly don't think you should worry so much at this point, she's doing very well. URIs are extremely common and often unconcerning. Most important thing is getting her her FVRCP vaccinations, which you can start at her vet visit. Until she is vaccinated, you should limit her contact with other cats and definitely do not let her outdoors. You should also ask for a FIV/FeLV combo test at her vet visit as well.

billtabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I honestly don't think you should worry so much at this point, she's doing very well. URIs are extremely common and often unconcerning. Most important thing is getting her her FVRCP vaccinations, which you can start at her vet visit. Until she is vaccinated, you should limit her contact with other cats and definitely do not let her outdoors. You should also ask for a FIV/FeLV combo test at her vet visit as well.
Yeah I'll see, she pooped again this morning, and a lot more this time. Although now I'm starting to once again struggling to get her to eat. She'll take a few bites but then stop. In the morning I didn't have much time to persuade her so I just left the food in a plastic bowl lid, when I got back she thankfully ate some of it. But the problem of her not eating much again happened during lunch. Currently feeding her 4 times a day, hopefully that'll be enough.

Yeah trying to keep her away from my other cats. She'll get her 3-1, fecal test, and second round of deworming, the saturday after this one when she is 8 weeks. Not sure if I really want to bother with FIV/FeLV considering she'll never go outside. Will get her rabies at 12 weeks, and spay at 14.

Just hope she grows fast and then a lot of pressure will be off me.