Worried About Feeding 6 Week Old Kitten?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are doing an absolutely fantastic job!!
...regarding her eating, maybe back off a little bit on the oil? not sure...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

billtabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are doing an absolutely fantastic job!!
...regarding her eating, maybe back off a little bit on the oil? not sure...
Well the thing is I haven't given her any oil at all today! She didn't get any for breakfast or lunch. I tried giving a bit more raw food into her mix for lunch, but it didn't seem to make it any more enticing for her.

Her weight gain is okay I think? I know she was the runt of the 9 litter.

16th - 558 grams

17th - unknown

18th- 585 grams

19th 605 grams

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
oh I see, --I apologize if this article is a duplicate for you, but just in case not maybe there's something in here for ideas regarding food that'll entice her. I'm not a kitten expert but the weight gain seems ok although I haven't checked it against any of the 'rules'.
The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition
EDIT; see my post below for an article that I copied out of this one that more specifically addresses weaning kittens and other tips about feeding them

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The minimum weight gain expected for a kitten is approximately 0.5 oz. / day. By six weeks of age, kittens should weigh approximately one pound.” “If it is healthy, receiving adequate food and growing normally, it will gain an average of 4 oz per week until it is 6 months old.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
0.1 oz is equal to 2.835 g so 1 ounce is equal to 28.35 grams, 2 ounces - 56.70 etc

billtabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The minimum weight gain expected for a kitten is approximately 0.5 oz. / day. By six weeks of age, kittens should weigh approximately one pound.” “If it is healthy, receiving adequate food and growing normally, it will gain an average of 4 oz per week until it is 6 months old.
Yeah I've seen this chart, we seem to be just barely on track. Just hoping for the best.

bklyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Combo testing means you are testing to see if she has either of these viruses already, it does not matter whether or not she's allowed out in the future. Both FIV and FeLV can be transmitted from mom to kitten. If she tests positive for either you should know that information, especially since you have other cats and could vaccinate them against FeLV in the event she did test positive. I'm not saying that testing positive is likely or trying to scare you, but combo testing is pretty standard, as you want to have a full picture of your cat's health and be aware of what you introduce to your household. The only time I would forgo testing is if she came from a reputable breeder, or maybe if she was born to a strictly indoor cat that had been tested. I'm not sure what her origin is, so you'd know better.

If she's willingly eating on her own throughout the day, then her appetite seems fine. It's possible she's still being a little bit picky and adjusting to her new food.

billtabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Combo testing means you are testing to see if she has either of these viruses already, it does not matter whether or not she's allowed out in the future. Both FIV and FeLV can be transmitted from mom to kitten. If she tests positive for either you should know that information, especially since you have other cats and could vaccinate them against FeLV in the event she did test positive. I'm not saying that testing positive is likely or trying to scare you, but combo testing is pretty standard, as you want to have a full picture of your cat's health and be aware of what you introduce to your household. The only time I would forgo testing is if she came from a reputable breeder, or maybe if she was born to a strictly indoor cat that had been tested. I'm not sure what her origin is, so you'd know better.

If she's willingly eating on her own throughout the day, then her appetite seems fine. It's possible she's still being a little bit picky and adjusting to her new food.
Oh I'm going to get her tested for sure, just not so sure about the shots themselves.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The weight gains are excellent. Continue as you are doing. She seems to be growing well thus far.

chromecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Don't worry too much about the poop - I have an orphan who is 4/5 weeks old and when I first got her she didn't poop for 3 days, then she did, then again nothing for 4 days and now she goes everyday twice a day but still needs stimulation. Formula constipates them, and on raw food in my experience they're slower than on wet food. You're doing great!

billtabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So not so great news.

The kitten hasn't pooped in two days again. Added olive oil to her dinner and breakfast today. Hoping that'll fix it.

Also her weight has being hovering around 610 grams for the last two days, with no real weight gain since Monday.

She also seems to only want to eat when I'm either holding the food in my finger or spoon. I'll place the food in a bowl lid next to her. She'll eat maybe 10% of the food, but then I'll have to feed the next 60% with my finger or spoon. I don't mind doing this now, but I rather not have to do it for the next 20 years. Currently feed her 4 times a day. 7:20 am, 12:10 pm, 5:15 pm, and 9:45 pm.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You won’t be hand feeding her for too much longer. She’s still a baby right now, and still adjusting.

Try feeding her 5-6 times a day for now to get more food into her so she will gain weight.

billtabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So she may have peed on the floor today. When I went back during lunch I noticed liquid on the floor. Her toy squirrel was in the water bowl which may have caused a bit of a splash, but I did think I noticed a new smell. Not 100% sure though. That and her litter box is completely clean since 8 pm yesterday. She'll be exactly 7 weeks tomorrow.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - these articles seem to be a bit more about adult cats but there may be something in here that helps. If you haven't already, you could try a second box, different location, different litter.
I'm sure there will be other members who weigh in with thoughts/tips/help for you.

Separation Anxiety In Cats
The 10 Most Common Litterbox Mistakes Cat Owners Make

Also, for addressing the odor, some members don't like Natures Miracle but swear by NonScents, also there's Angry Orange, Rocco and Roxie, Bubba's Super Strength and Sunny and Honey- these are listed as safe to be used around pets.

billtabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi - these articles seem to be a bit more about adult cats but there may be something in here that helps. If you haven't already, you could try a second box, different location, different litter.
I'm sure there will be other members who weigh in with thoughts/tips/help for you.

Separation Anxiety In Cats
The 10 Most Common Litterbox Mistakes Cat Owners Make

Also, for addressing the odor, some members don't like Natures Miracle but swear by NonScents, also there's Angry Orange, Rocco and Roxie, Bubba's Super Strength and Sunny and Honey- these are listed as safe to be used around pets.
I use smartcat litter, which is a grass litter that is unscented.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know, she might like something more sandy feeling? I found this in case you're interested, my thinking is to mix it with the grass litter you're using.

Also some people have used potting soil with some good results.

Stall-Dry is a mixture that looks like sand that you put in horse's stalls to absorb moisture and smell. It is available in large bags at feed stores. I just keep pouring it into plastic litter containers and using that in the house as it is easiest. It really works well and once you stir the stall dry around the pan the urine absorbs and is just vanishes. Stall DRY® Absorbent and Deodorizer is composed of a natural blend of food grade diatomaceous earth and clay in a granular form, which has the ability to neutralize ammonia and absorb odors and moisture.

At any rate, if she continues either missing or not using the box you might double-check with your vet...

billtabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know, she might like something more sandy feeling? I found this in case you're interested, my thinking is to mix it with the grass litter you're using.

Also some people have used potting soil with some good results.

Stall-Dry is a mixture that looks like sand that you put in horse's stalls to absorb moisture and smell. It is available in large bags at feed stores. I just keep pouring it into plastic litter containers and using that in the house as it is easiest. It really works well and once you stir the stall dry around the pan the urine absorbs and is just vanishes. Stall DRY® Absorbent and Deodorizer is composed of a natural blend of food grade diatomaceous earth and clay in a granular form, which has the ability to neutralize ammonia and absorb odors and moisture.

At any rate, if she continues either missing or not using the box you might double-check with your vet...
Hello,

Okay thanks!