Will My Cat Be Okay With A Baby?

Briemmartin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted my cat, Vollie, from the shelter about 6 months ago and she is the definition of the prefect cat for me. She’s currently 9 months old and she LOVES attention. She’s is super friendly and cuddly to any one she meets, the problem is she hates other animals—cats and dogs—I think because it’s a competition for attention? My worry is how she’s going to react when our family starts growing.

My fiancé and I are getting married in a little over a year which means we are going to start looking into things like a house and talking about a baby. My fiancé has always wanted a dog so I know that’ll be an issue with Vollie in itself, but my worry is how she will react to a baby. I know she wouldn’t hurt the baby(I’ve had her around another toddler before and if she didn’t like it she just stayed away) that’s not really my concern, I’m worried she won’t be able to handle not having our attention and will never get used to the baby. I don’t want her personality to completely change and her become a “grumpy old cat” because she never accepted the baby. Sorry if that sounds like I’m rambling I’m just not sure what to do. She’s one of those cats who become your best friend(she sleeps with me every night, follows me like a puppy all over the house, etc.) and I just don’t want her to be miserable. Any one that can offer any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Included recent pictures and some baby pics because she’s just too freaking cute 62EF10E4-55FF-49EA-BC85-03C0D5E2A7D7.jpeg E43BAC3C-0854-45B0-92DD-EE221375E955.jpeg 29D4202D-C88A-4DEB-B435-B47BF614BEAF.jpeg 2C6D2B8E-0D4D-4780-8AE9-42FD91EE58D9.jpeg F5913375-2015-4370-B49C-71AFF08AD2D7.jpeg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, Furballsmom Furballsmom beat me to the articles I was thinking about. Read them. They will help. She is probably going to be fine. I would suggest setting up your nursery early on, so that she gets used to the sights and smells of the furniture and equipment in advance. One of the biggest things you can do is to set aside "Vollie Time" every day, and to welcome (with close supervision) her interest in the new arrival when that time comes. She's going to be curious, and chasing her away won't help anything at all. Also, don't be surprised if she knows you are pregnant before you do! Cats can smell the subtle hormone changes, and more than one person here has noted a change in a cat's behavior, THEN found out that they were expecting!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Briemmartin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update! She now has a car brother and they are attached at the hip! I think they’re nothing going to do fine when a baby comes along, it took her about a day to get used to Niko (brother) and now she can’t get enough of him! Thank y’all for putting my over thinkers mind at ease