Wild And Wonderful Animal Rescue's Feral Cat Tails...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
20171019_170024.jpg
20171019_172756.jpg

Good news! We caught this girl today and dropped her off for her spay tomorrow. She is a little congested so I'm hoping there are no issues there! When we pulled up today there were a lot more cats than the other day when Teddi and I came the other day. There were about 9 cats on the porch. Then when we went inside there were probably 4 more (everyone was running lol). I went back to the back room where Teddi and I found the other kitten and there unfortunately was two adorable long haired kittens about the same age RUNNING. Due to the flea anemia of the other one I'd like to go back and try to catch them later if I can find somewhere to put them.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok! So Teddi agreed to take in the siblings if we can catch them! I'm going to go out tomorrow with kitten sized traps and try to get them! If we don't get them tomorrow then we'll try again the next day when we bring this girl back from her spay!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Done! We dropped her off at our vet tonight (love that my vet lets me do that!). The only problem with trying to trap these kittens is the room they are in there is no way to know if they are in there or not unless you happen to see them running from you because there is a lot of big heavy furniture that they can hide in. The good thing is he only feeds dry food which makes the wet food so rewarding- also probably how we were able to trap so quickly today. I am hoping we can set the kitten sized traps and leave the room and them come out to eat the smelly food.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
We decided on Nemo! We picked him up from his neuter and made an appointment for next Tuesday for another feral spay/neuter so will trap Monday night! I took two of my kitten sized traps over today to set for the two long haired kittens. I saw both of them today, one is grey and white and the other is black and white! I couldn't reach either of them because they ran and got behind unmoveable furniture. I did get a picture of the black and white one though!
20171020_172007.jpg

I set the traps and left them. Teddi Teddy is going by when she gets off work at midnight tonight and hopefully we will have caught one or both of them!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
The more I look at the picture I was able to sneak of the black and white long haired kitten- look how white it's tiny nose is! It clearly is severely anemic as well :( I am anxiously waiting to hear from Teddi if we were able to trap them tonight. If not maybe I can catch them in the morning when we bring Nemo back... I am not sure what we can do about the fleas at this colony...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Does Nemo have to go back? Is there no way to get him socialized and adopted?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Nemo is curious enough that he could be socialized and adopted, however no one has any room to take him in right now- I am lucky Teddi agreed to take these kittens in and nurse them back. He is on my list of cats to take in when I have room (I don't think he will be difficult to catch- I was almost able to pick him up the other day). For now he got a dose of flea treatment and I feel a little better knowing it is going to get cold outside soon... I think I am going to bring my furniture/carpet flea spray and spray some things in his house down if he says that is ok...

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so Teddi went out to check the traps, one had an older kitten stuffed into it. She can't take any older kittens right now so she went ahead and released it. I am messaging another rescue to see if they have any room for older long haired kittens so if we catch it again they can have a place to go. She reset the traps and at the very least I am going to bring Advantage II with me and I can flea treat whoever goes in the traps (or try to anyway). We will be going back in the morning (in a few hours) to check the traps and release Nemo.
Every time I have been there I see so many new cats that I haven't seen before. This colony is at least 20 cats and it is extremely out of hand. Teddi fixed about 8 cats a few years ago and there aren't any signs of them. Then she is worried because Clyde may not be able to live here on his own much longer- and then what is going to happen to the cats? It just sort of feels like we are fighting an endless battle. I think we need to approach this colony aggressively and be trapping at least once a week. Teddi's organization is MSNAP- they are the ones paying for the local spays and neuters. She is stressing to me that they have limited funding and we cannot fix all of these cats and to focus on the girls and if I catch a Tom to release it. I am hoping to plan a trip to our clinic soon and maybe take several from this area. Funding is my issue too as I don't get grants. Ugh.

fornana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much ashade1 for sharing your journey and struggles with us. It has been entirely insightful to read about, and your persistence is admirable. I really wish you all the best.
I think reaching out to other rescues is a great idea. You can never have too many hands in this especially since winter is coming. Soon the focus will need to switch from TNR to ensuring they have adequate warmth/shelter/food/water.

Do you need help with trying to find info on hay/straw?

From the pictures it looks like the cats are in a big open space in a rural area. For the existing ferals that sort of environment appears suitable. It's just missing some solid structures. The existing ones appear to need some modifications. It's too bad there's not a barn.

Where are/did these cats come from? Is this a popular spot for people to drop off cats?

Do you have a place where people can donate to your rescue? How come you don't get grants? I'm not too familiar with the financial side of rescues...

Clyde will pass sadly. It's up to the community to take care of those cats. I think you are doing a great job. Even just saving one cat is a blessing. But you've help save many and you got some of the wild ones fixed. That's an amazing accomplishment.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
There are a couple of different colonies in this thread. Park colony is the one with the majority pictures, They are in a park with a decent sized wooded lot. They have many insulated shelters around for them. I still have a few cats there to TNR but most (if not all) are males. The Sabraton Colony is the one I am currently stressing over. They currently reside in and around Clyde's house. He leaves the door cracked and they run in and out that way. This is why we are stressed out about when Clyde is no longer able to care for them. What if his house goes to someone who wants the cats gone? It is very stressful.
I don't get grants because I am not a 501c3 nonprofit. My "group" is really just me and my boyfriend and a small network of fosters trying to make a difference in the lives of animals that we come across. We do have fundraising links and an amazon wishlist for supplies.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is it possible to reach out to Chewy and Pet Smart for help? I don't know if they help individuals, but you could ask. Even for a discount on food and litter would help.

Do you have a local county humane society that might spay and neuter for free or $20 per cat?

The Humane Society in the county next to me had a summer grant and spayed and neutered all cats and dogs for free all summer long no questions asked.

fornana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh so the Clyde colony is all on that man's property. Hm, I can see how that is concerning then.

For right now I think just getting most of them fixed and getting the young adoptable ones outta there is essential. Acquiring resources, time, and housing is of course difficult. I hope you'll be able to find some help. Please remember also to take care of yourself.

The amazon wishlist I couldn't find, but then again I'm not that tech savvy. My finances aren't great at the moment, but others from here or elsewhere may donate. I wonder what the process is to become a 501c3 nonprofit...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That little tux is a doll! Is he named yet? Maybe "Jeeves," after every butler you've ever run across, with his formal attire...