Why Do Cats Get The Zoomies?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When bobcat's get zoomies, things get broke. Three times quicker than a normal cat, Three times bigger. With all of the grace and coordination of a concrete block.
@basscat - Yep - I've changed the nomenclature as well. Ten of mine get The Zoomies. When Bob needs to dump that excess energy, he gets The Smashies."

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wish I could encourage Butters to do this, she really doesn’t, it’s so funny I would love it!
Now the dog, he just loses it, LOL! He loses all fear of her and just starts to tear around the bed, sometimes falling on his head on the hardwood floor. And then he just keeps going lol! Buttercup watches with saucer eyes and great interest. :lol:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
One of mine gets the zoomies after he eats.

the other hops around a little but doesn't zoom.

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish I could encourage Butters to do this, she really doesn’t, it’s so funny I would love it!
Now the dog, he just loses it, LOL! He loses all fear of her and just starts to tear around the bed, sometimes falling on his head on the hardwood floor. And then he just keeps going lol! Buttercup watches with saucer eyes and great interest. :lol:
What cat wants to be caught doing something the dog would do?

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine gets it a little after sunset. Or in the mornings. Though it's been about a week since his last zoom.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine does it just after!
Same with Sophie. Lilith? She doesn't get the zoomies. At least not that I've ever seen. Maybe when I'm not there? Who knows. What I do know is when Sophie goes on a tear, stuff gets broken too and she's small. She's taken down a full set of curtains, knocked pictures off the wall, cleared off the top of my bookshelf (which is where she usually ends up) and has broken things that were on top of the stereo cabinet in my room. I call her my 5 pound wrecking ball. @basscat I can't imagine what a bobcat would do! :running:

Last edited:

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My husband calls it "demon hunting", but in my opinion it more resembles Marx turning into a demon than him chasing after them.

I don't mind that much that he's knocking over stuff while being "possessed", but when he jumps on to the sofa and runs over me like I'm a carpet - well, that isn't pleasant. And he only weights 3kg now. He's supposed to weight at least twice that much when he's fully grown, so yeah, that's gonna be fun :Do_O

HungryPandaCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And he only weights 3kg now. He's supposed to weight at least twice that much when he's fully grown, so yeah, that's gonna be fun :Do_O
I'm constantly surprised at how much damage a little 3kg furball can do. My 3kg furball uses me as a trampoline to bounce to other places when she gets zoomies and it hurts like hell! My 15 kg dogs don't hurt that much when they pounce on me.

I feel like with dog zoomies they make the effort to not knock anything over and with cats zoomies its THE PATH OF MOST DESTRUCTION :devilish:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine aren't really doing it now that its summer and there are lots of critters to chase. I expect it will be back when the weather turns and the chipmunks and mice go into witness protection.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The look in Katy's eyes when she gets the zoomies is like she is in another world, excitedly chasing prey in her mind as she gets excited while zooming around the room as she is playing with her toys. I will call out her name, she will stop dead in her tracks and look up to me with this "wild" look in her eyes. Sometimes she will then just continue with her play, on the other hand, after I call out her name, she will stop and all of a sudden her mind will switch back and she will just trot off to her favorite spot, lie down and rest. Go figure!?:doh::dizzy:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think of housebound Zoomies as the Thinking Cat's Zoomies... I believe the cat enjoys tearing around the house or room while their brain and eyes and limbs and ears constantly calculate which ceramic to avoid, where the yelling human is located, what door is usually open, what back of chair is angled "just right" to achieve the top of the best bookcase, which pillow gives the most spring in order to land on the subsequent launching pad, and which window usually has a screen in it versus a pane of glass.
:eek:

Surely there must be an e-book they listen to called, The Art of Zoomies.

When I take Milly out into the long hallways of our building to go on a leash Walkies, sometimes I take her collar off (and guard the stairs so she can't go down them), and let her just launch into a full-on, straight gallop down the halls. It's like taking a housebound Zoomies and extending it into a straight line... no thinking involved, just freedom of movement, no obstacles.
:)