Why Do Cats Get The Zoomies?

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My male cat can in one moment be tranquil and the next moment run around the house a million miles per hour.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And where did that name come from? Is it unique to this forum? Before I came here I called it "hyper mode" or the highly descriptive "bounce off the walls mode." I think I still like those better lol!

To answer your question, I assume its hormonal and tied to cat circadian rhythms.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My one cat goes into crazy cat mode a couple times a day and she is 16 years old. So it doesn't stop!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hehe. a co-worker termed it that way

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Cats are hardwired to conserve energy during the day so that they are ready for the short bursts of intense activity that comes when they hunt. Since cats don't hunt in our homes (unless a confused fly makes its way inside...), they can get pent-up energy out with the zoomies!
:woohoo:

I think zoomies is the technical term, I heard it even before I found TCS. :)

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arnold and greg also get the zoomies.

One starts running and the other chases him. Then they start hunting and ambushing each other from behind the furniture. At 20 and 22lbs, when im down stairs it sounds as if two small kids are running around the house! It always makes me laugh.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just googled, and yes, apparently zoomies is the commonly used term. Its also called Frenetic Random Activity Periods or FRAPs if you want a more scientific sounding name.

I am going to go with FRAPs from now on because cats are silly enough without help. I also like having the "random" in there because its not like they are just more energetic, they also let it out in highly random ways. I especially love when they bounce from wall to wall like a movie ninja.

Last edited:

valou999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My male cat can in one moment be tranquil and the next moment run around the house a million miles per hour.
Welcome to cats. Cats are flippin' weird man, that's just how it is... My Loki does this all the time, especially when I just got back from work and he's happy to see me, he'll zip around from one side of the apartment to the other for a good 5 minutes straight before settling down for hugs. Sometimes I'll be at my computer desk and he'll burst into the room running, stops, meows a bit, then sprints back out... I have no clue what is going on in his head! xD

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
House cats do this in order to expel excess energy because they're sleeping all day rather than expending that energy hunting for food like their feral friends.

We call it "crazy time". Running from one end of the house to the other with a couple of pounces on the "invisible X" along the way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
People see they see ghosts. Lol

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My guys go outside and do get to hunt random critters. They still get the zoomies fairly regularly. Most of the time it's early morning. You can hear them going up and over the house then race down a tree and through the back door. Mostly Link and Rocket but Fury will join in occasionally. Right now, Link is housebound and he is very literally bouncing off the walls 24/7 probably because he cant climb as much and doesn't have as much room to get that energy out. If only he had a catio with climbing posts, steps and vertical spaces where he could run and jump... Oh wait, he does. Little brat hasn't quite joined in on the idea of his catio. Instead he ambushes his siblings when they come in trying to get them to play with him.

My rabbit gets something similar called binky in the rabbit world. Rabbit owners take it as a sign of contentment and happiness. Not sure if that would cross the spieces barrier for a reason but I could see it applying.