Whoever Said Cats Hate Their Belly Touched Never Met My Kitten...

catquestions232

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey All!

Being the borderline OCD person I am, I often research behavioral traits of my kitten (11 month old female Siberian) in order to understand what makes her happy. One of the main things I've seen almost everywhere is "don't pet a cats stomach, it will betray their trust and they don't like it." As far as she goes, I think that's BS.

In the beginning, if I touched her there, she would gently nibble me then lick me to gently ask me to stop, and I would. As time went on though, I think she just grew to trust me more and now she absolutely DEMANDS belly rubs. Our routine EVERY morning is my alarm goes off and she comes screaming into the bedroom (mind you, my girlfriend has already gotten up and fed her, and the cat is often in the middle of eating when my alarm goes off), dropping whatever food is in her mouth and promptly headbutting me in the face. She then proceeds to rub her face pretty much everywhere from my belly button up, choking me with her tail along the way. Of course, when she stops moving, it wouldnt make sense to face me, so I get a nice cat butt in my face in the morning as I pet her.

The best part, and the the thing I didnt know about cats is, they must know martial arts. I will be stroking her back, and she does some weird twist move and wraps my wrist with her back leg as she rolls, forcing my hand to her belly, whereupon she starts purring contentedly. Once she sees im not going to stop petting her belly, she lets go of the death wrap and fully rolls over to her back splaying her paws to the sides and enjoying the belly rub while she purrs loud as hell. Often, she falls asleep like this (I know shes asleep when the purring stops) with my petting her stomach, which coincidentally often puts me back to sleep, necessitating the need for multiple alarms (which, also coincidentally, starts the cycle of head butts, back rubs, and martial arts belly rubs all over again). As she's sleeping like this, she must haveher back paws pushed against me to make sure I cant leave, and I often feel them doing little check pushes to make sure im still there. Should I move, she immediately wakes up and demands attention again.

I guess my take away is that I can't always read overarching facts about cat behavior and believe they apply to all cats, as that is simply not always the case. I love that she acts this way, and it definitely seems different from the norm.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone is different. I used to have one that adored belly rubs - long as you used your foot. Put your hand there to rub and she turned it into a chew toy.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My older cat will turn even MY hands into bloody strips if I pet his belly, despite being an absolute baby with me otherwise. He licks himself pretty much bald from his back half down (he dislikes "pants", we decided, after innumerable vet visits and Feliway replacements), and his little tummy rolls are just begging to be poked, but he'll shred you for your effort.

My kitten adores belly rubs, though, and will flop on your feet and cry until he gets them. I'd never known a cat who enjoyed them before him!

2tuxedo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The two at my place love belly rubs when they stretch out, but eventually they'll sink their teeth in. Small price to pay IMO!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catquestions232

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
haha, i just got home from work and she flopped on my dress shoes demanding a rub.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats will tolerate short belly rubs and gentle belly brushing (though one needs to be held down gently to brush.) The wildcard semi-feral cat that lives with me, I don't even try to touch his belly. So there is a bit of luck of the draw if your cat will love it or hate it.

peeweesmomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my 2 males LOVE their bellies rubbed. They will sit there for hours and let you rub their bellies. my female? even if you think about it she'll tear up your hand......

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have two cats that LOVE belly rubs. Tempest is especially cute about. She will fling herself to the floor with an audible whump, and then if the belly rubs don't come she starts chirping and wriggling to draw attention to the belly.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
IMG_1206.JPG
Charlie likes to show off his furry tummy, but hates it being touched.

Basscat, that is the first time I've seen a Bobcat belly. Thank you for that amazingly adorable photo! :D

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Basscat, that is the first time I've seen a Bobcat belly. Thank you for that amazingly adorable photo! :D
He has a "zipper". Right down the middle. :lol:
When he's not in bitey mood, you can pet and scrub just down past his front legs (armpits I guess?). Any further and you're finished.

Last edited:

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IMG_5308.JPG
My brother loving on princess- probably shared his doctor pepper with her lol.
I had never had a cat let me touch their belly before princess, she loves belly rubs and will let me or anyone else for that matter touch her about anywhere. I adopted princess as an adult but Miss Kitty whom I've had since she was a baby would probably take a finger off if I touched her tummy, she's just a more independent and self sufficient cat. I think it's a difference in breeds.

peeweesmomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has a "zipper". Right down the middle. :lol:
When he's not in bitey mood, you can pet and scrub just down past his front legs (armpits I guess?). Any further and you're finished.

He is sooooo pretty! I wanna snuggle him but hed probably scratch my eyeballs out lol.

Marr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20180405_222216.jpg
20180405_222216.jpg
My one year old Norwegian Forest female Mia loves her belly rubbed & in fact she loves her "entire" underside rubbed several times a day. We have a special richual we go through before she gets into the complete "kitty coma" mode! She loves when I push on both of her feet first & head/chin scratch..then I start under the arm pits & before you know it she is completely "wide open" & totally relaxed! I read somewhere that rubbing a cat's tummy is like "romping through an angel's feathers"

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sir Eats-A-Lot actively solicits belly rubs. He'll trill, then roll over with a loud thud, just to make sure I notice. Chesterfield isn't so obvious: He'll come up and cuddle, and if I happen to tickle his belly, he'll roll around into a position to facilitate the belly rubs. Both of them are good for at least 20 minutes or so.