What's Your Rotation Like?

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm just curious how many brands people typically rotate? How many different proteins? Do you always buy the same foods or sometimes grab random things on sale? Rotate by the day? The meal? Whenever a can is empty?

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now due to various circumstances I can only feed one meal a day, but I usually feed a different food every day.
Right now I have Dave's Tuna in Gravy Dinner
Dave's Chicken and Tuna in Gravy Dinner
Redbarn Beef in Gravy
Redbarn Lamb Pate
And an occasional Tiki Cat

I would like to eventually finish up the tuna ones, and get just Chicken in Gravy. And also try a different Dave's gravy like salmon or shrimp to get away from the tuna.
I also want to try Evangers Turkey once they clear up all their recalls and stop getting the lamb because its expensive

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I also buy everything on Chewy and put it on autoship so I dont pay attention to sales. I don't think it matters much how often you rotate unless your cat cares and is picky

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 7 and most are pretty picky. I found 5 fancy feast flavors they all like. So I rotate those. They only get canned once a day.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a local place that gets discounted food (like if one can in the case is dented, they get it for stupid cheap, toss the bad ones, and sell the good ones. Example: I have scored 5.5 oz cans of nature's variety rabbit for 50 cents each). So mine rotates based on availability. Right now they are rotating between Nature's Variety beef, ZiwiPeak Lamb, and Natural Balance LID Venison. I try to only do 2 to 3 at a time to be able to closer monitor allergies (Jasmine can't have a few things)

ScarlettGatsby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right now I only have 2
Merrick Perfect Bistro Duck Pate
Fromm Chicken and Salmon Pate

I'm working on adding a couple more. I'd like to find a turkey one she likes, and then something on the cheaper end make it more budget friendly. The next ones we are trying are Wellness Core Turkey, and Fancy Feast Classic Chicken pate. If she likes those 2 I'll be happy with that roation.

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I rotate about 4 or 5 different wet foods. I mix higher end with lower end foods.

Lower ends such as FF Classics turkey, chicken and liver, Sheba turkey, chicken or beef

Higher ends such as Feline Natural chicken and lamb, Ziwipeak rabbit, Natures Variety Pride rabbit, Merrick Rabbit

I rotate every meal which I feed about 3-4 ounces in morning before I head to work and when I return they get another 3-4 ounces. I'll feed Purebites and sometimes a little bit of dry for treats

Works for me :)

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Boreal beef lamb and chicken duck. Decent ingredients and Canada made. Only problem is my girl is not enthusiastic about it. She would eat but never finished as quickly as FF, of which I give her turkey, chicken and liver flavors occasionally. Other brands are offered less often.
She has muscle meat as treats, usually lamb, beef or ground turkey and ~10% of her daily consumption. She get chicken ribs or turkey neck weekly.

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I currently give 3 wet meals a day and dry food as a snack overnight. For wet food, I've been rotating Nutro (Minced chicken and sliced turkey flavors), Weruva CITK (Fowl ball chicken & turkey flavor), Merrick Puurfect Bistro trays (chicken, turkey, duck, and beef flavors), Soulistic (good karma chicken in gravy), Sheba cuts(chicken and turkey flavors), and Chicken soup for the Soul (Beef stew and chicken stew flavors). I try to switch up brand/flavor at each meal,but since theres more chicken and turkey flavored stuff, sometimes those get repeated. Also going to start phasing out the Weruva because of the recent issues with them and they aren't too crazy about the food anyway, and the Sheba since they are discontinuing the cans and the perfect portions are annoying and too small per serving. Hoping to replace those with something else eventually but not sure what. I prefer no grains, no carrageenan, no cranberries and only occasionally give fish flavors.

thehistorian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed three meals a day. 6:00AM, 12:00PM, and 6:00PM. I rotate Fancy Feast Classic Pates, Nutro Natural Choice Soft Loaf Pates, and minced/sliced Nutro Natural Choice, although I am finishing up a set of the grilled Fancy Feast.

For breakfast I put down one can of Fancy Feast Classic Pate and one can of Nutro Natural Choice Soft Loaf. For lunch, I give each kitty one half of a Nutro Natural Choice Perfect Portion Pate. Right now for dinner, I give each kitty 1/8th a cup of dry food topped with grilled Fancy Feast - split between them. I am almost out of the grilled Fancy Feast and I want to stop it because I do not like the use of wheat in the formula. So, I am going to try the minced/sliced NNC formulas for the dinner time dry food mix. I hope they like them or I am out like 48 bucks. Haha

So, I typically hit on two brands I think work and rotate through the different varieties. I avoid the hell out of fish. I typically use chicken, turkey, beef. I would give duck to my girl, but not my boy because of the fat content. I have never tried it, though. I might try a can or two of rabbit someday and see how that goes over.

Evie's Mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My tabby likes different foods every meal but my calico doesn't care much for change so I keep her on the same food for about a month at a time. This is what they're currently getting:

-Authority chicken and liver pate
-Fancy Feast Pate (classics)
-Merrick Purfect Bistro rabbit pate

I will also be adding Weruva TruLuxe into the rotation too, they're going to be buy one get one free at Pet Valu so I'm gonna stock up on those. Excited for them to try it cause its so expensive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for sharing! It's just interesting to see how other people do their rotation. I just started feeding my cat wet food about 2 months ago and am still trying to perfect my rotation as I learn more.

cat dad72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have six cats currently I am rotating four different brands with different proteins. Duck,chicken,turkey and beef. I have noticed that if I give them a certain food brand that they really like too often they start getting picky so I like to mix it up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My tabby likes different foods every meal but my calico doesn't care much for change so I keep her on the same food for about a month at a time. This is what they're currently getting:

-Authority chicken and liver pate
-Fancy Feast Pate (classics)
-Merrick Purfect Bistro rabbit pate

I will also be adding Weruva TruLuxe into the rotation too, they're going to be buy one get one free at Pet Valu so I'm gonna stock up on those. Excited for them to try it cause its so expensive.
Apparently the U.S. sale isn't as good! We have a Pet Valu like 2 minutes away so I checked their website and it's only buy 2 get 1 free here :hmmm:

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to feed my kitten a new can/flavor at every meal but I think some of his tummy troubles and digestion issues might be because his system couldn't handle all the different proteins I was throwing at him! So now he gets, at most, two different proteins a day but his full rotation (currently) consists of: Weruva Cats in the Kitchen Fowl Ball, Against the Grain chicken and pumpkin, Against the Grain chicken and cheese, Primal freeze-dried duck, Whole Earth Farms chicken, turkey, and duck pates, and Halo Impulse guinea hen.

WhiteWolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I stock up on cans each pay check. I mostly get Wellness Core (Turkey & Duck and Chicken, Turkey, & Chicken Liver flavors). I'm trying to figure out what they will eat reliably since switching to all wet food. They all agree on Stella & Chewy's freeze dried Duck Duck Goose. They seem to like variety so I rotate through the non-fish Tiki Cat flavors if I have the money for it. I also use Weruva Fowl Ball and non-fish Fussie Cat. Each meal is a different flavor.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy by the case from chewy.com and petco.com, after trying individual cans out when they were young, I found which they like. I give soulistic chicken dinner pate & shreds every morning. Dinner is rotated between whole earth duck or beef pate or Merrick rabbit pate, impulse quail or guinea hen, or wellness Core natural chicken & liver. I top off with purebites freeze dried chicken treats (dog size). They don't get kibble, it made them vomit. Their evening meal is rotated daily.

Last edited:

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently give 3 wet meals a day and dry food as a snack overnight. For wet food, I've been rotating Nutro (Minced chicken and sliced turkey flavors), Weruva CITK (Fowl ball chicken & turkey flavor), Merrick Puurfect Bistro trays (chicken, turkey, duck, and beef flavors), Soulistic (good karma chicken in gravy), Sheba cuts(chicken and turkey flavors), and Chicken soup for the Soul (Beef stew and chicken stew flavors). I try to switch up brand/flavor at each meal,but since theres more chicken and turkey flavored stuff, sometimes those get repeated. Also going to start phasing out the Weruva because of the recent issues with them and they aren't too crazy about the food anyway, and the Sheba since they are discontinuing the cans and the perfect portions are annoying and too small per serving. Hoping to replace those with something else eventually but not sure what. I prefer no grains, no carrageenan, no cranberries and only occasionally give fish flavors.
What are Weruva issues you mention?

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy all Purina's dry food variety of tastes for adult cats as well as the occasional canned food such as Primogato's fish "pâté" and Whiskas' canned meat. Cucumella adores raw fish but I only give it to her very seldom and very little of it because otherwise she doesn't digest it well. She doesn't like cooked fish.