What's Your Rotation Like?

ashekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I rotate through three flavors of Fancy Feast and three flavors of Sheba and occasionally a higher quality food when I can afford it. Once in a while I will give them something fish flavored because they all love fish but I know it isn't too good for them so that is only as a treat. Unfortunately I will have to only rotate through Fancy Feast when I run out of Sheba since Sheba is moving to more expensive packaging. I feed two meals a day.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I rotate between two dry foods and about six wet foods and two raw foods. It mainly depends how much money I have to spend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I rotate through three flavors of Fancy Feast and three flavors of Sheba and occasionally a higher quality food when I can afford it. Once in a while I will give them something fish flavored because they all love fish but I know it isn't too good for them so that is only as a treat. Unfortunately I will have to only rotate through Fancy Feast when I run out of Sheba since Sheba is moving to more expensive packaging. I feed two meals a day.
I feel you on Sheba discontinuing the cans. I had just started feeding my cat wet food and bought a few cans of it to try. She loved it! Then I learned they were no longer selling the cans :sigh:. There went that. I was feeding like 4 flavors of the 4health food from Tractor Supply and then my cat got picky and decided she only likes pate...Well, 2 of the 4health flavors were shreds so now those are out too. My list is slowly dwindling :(. I'm very close to being down to only Fancy Feast too. She eats ProPlan True Nature and Merrick rabbit pate but those are both Purina as well so I'm not sure it really even helps to rotate between those. People say rotate brands in case of recalls and such...well if Purina foods get recalled...it's possible for all 3 of those to be inaccessible.... I've been debating trying Dave's but I'm not positive what the texture is like and no where local sells it so I'd have to order a case on chewy and risk it being rejected... This food rotation stuff can be HARD on a tight budget.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Purina's food that I buy here is of Argentinian origin. Besides the various tastes, meat, fish, chicken Purina offers a balanced Cat Chow mixture for adult "interior" cats which I also buy for Cucumella. I never heard that Purina's food may disappear.

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I buy Fancy Feast classic pate flavors of beef, chicken and turkey with giblets. Tuff gets 2 different flavors daily. Then 2 tsp.of Fromms dry with rabbit and duck as a bedtime snack.
One happy cat!

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Purina's food that I buy here is of Argentinian origin. Besides the various tastes, meat, fish, chicken Purina offers a balanced Cat Chow mixture for adult "interior" cats which I also buy for Cucumella. I never heard that Purina's food may disappear.
It's not that they are disappearing right now. People say that rotating brands of food is best because if there is ever a food recall, you want to have other options your cat will eat. If a factory that produces Purina food ends up contaminated and they have to recall all of the food made in that factory... that could be ANYTHING made by Purina...wet food, dry food, different flavors... ANYTHING made in that factory. Since Purina makes Fancy feast, ProPlan and now the Merrick as well, it is a possibility that a recall could affect all 3 of those.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a bit at a loss with those 3 names (Fancy Feast, ProPlan and Merrick.) I don't think they have them here. The only Purina food I know are those I mentioned before The other prominent dry cat food here is Whiskas but I have never bought them and know very little about them. From what you say I should be using an alternative source of food now and then just in case there is ever a recall of my usual food sources. There hasn't been any for the food I use for the last 6 years though. I keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for your info.

elle.paco.cloey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have three mouths to feed: two five month old and one four month old. I'm currently rotating Weruva Truluxe and Nature's Variety Instinct canned foods, Honest Kitchen dehydrated food, and Orijen dry food. I like feeding different protein sources and textures. The kits aren't picky at all so far!

Evie's Mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll have to take Weruva TrueLuxe out of the rotation, my baby puked it all up, twice.
I had high hopes for it too.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been debating trying Dave's but I'm not positive what the texture is like and no where local sells it so I'd have to order a case on chewy and risk it being rejected...
A little late to reply, but if you're still wondering Dave's has a pate (I'm not sure what that's like, but pates are the same for the most part) and there is a gravy one which is a unique texture. They're super super small shreds of meat, so small that a cat can't pick around them and a soupy gravy. I attached a picture.

I also just changed up my rotation. I've been trying to find more "gravy" foods that have better ingredients that Kitty will eat. I am going to try Wellness Divine Duos (just for Kitty). I will try Hound & Gatos beef flavor, Tiki Cat After Dark (just for Luna), not going to reorder the Redbarn, but keep the Dave's Chicken and Tuna gravy. Also going to give Vital Cat Freeze dried mini nibs to Kitty along with her kibble.

So Kitty gets-Dave's Chicken and Tuna gravy,
Hound & Gatos Beef,
Wellness Divine Duos Poultry and Beef Variety
Fancy Feast Classics Poultry and Beef varieties
....and Vital Cat freeze dried raw mixed with kibble

Luna gets-- Dave's Chicken and Tuna gravy,
Hound & Gatos beef,
Tiki Cat after dark
Fancy Feast
--and kibble

Attachments

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A little late to reply, but if you're still wondering Dave's has a pate (I'm not sure what that's like, but pates are the same for the most part) and there is a gravy one which is a unique texture. They're super super small shreds of meat, so small that a cat can't pick around them and a soupy gravy. I attached a picture.

I also just changed up my rotation. I've been trying to find more "gravy" foods that have better ingredients that Kitty will eat. I am going to try Wellness Divine Duos (just for Kitty). I will try Hound & Gatos beef flavor, Tiki Cat After Dark (just for Luna), not going to reorder the Redbarn, but keep the Dave's Chicken and Tuna gravy. Also going to give Vital Cat Freeze dried mini nibs to Kitty along with her kibble.

So Kitty gets-Dave's Chicken and Tuna gravy,
Hound & Gatos Beef,
Wellness Divine Duos Poultry and Beef Variety
Fancy Feast Classics Poultry and Beef varieties
....and Vital Cat freeze dried raw mixed with kibble

Luna gets-- Dave's Chicken and Tuna gravy,
Hound & Gatos beef,
Tiki Cat after dark
Fancy Feast
--and kibble
Thank you. Do you happen to know which cans are pate? I was looking on chewy and it doesn't show on the picture of the can. Most foods say something on the front of the can about "pate" or "shreds" etc. and I can't find it on the Dave's photo. Perhaps I'm missing it.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Do you happen to know which cans are pate? I was looking on chewy and it doesn't show on the picture of the can. Most foods say something on the front of the can about "pate" or "shreds" etc. and I can't find it on the Dave's photo. Perhaps I'm missing it.
It should say pate on the picture. In the description on the right hand side chewy lists the type of food

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is where it says pate. And if it doesnt, chewy does in its description.

Attachments

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here is where it says pate. And if it doesnt, chewy does in its description.
Ahh.. thank you! I was totally missing that. I didn't even realize chewy lists "food texture" on the right side. That's a big help.

Antarcticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a kitten whom I swear has pica. If it fits in his mouth, it's a potential snack :lol: point is, he's not picky.

When I got him he was eating fancy feast tender turkey and I planned to transition him to Blue Buffalo. Thought it might take a day or two but he made it clear he was fine with the new stuff as soon as the first can was opened! I rotate between wet and dry and sometimes mix them during individual meals just for the sake of variety, but his wet and dry are both Blue Buffalo blends and I'm trying to establish them as staples. That being said, I'm blessed in the fact that if I ever do have to switch him, it doesn't look like it's going to be a challenge!

RequestKen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
3 different kinds of cheap wet food (beef, deer, fish and shrimp) and kibble for neutered cats. If I am cooking chicken for myself, I usually boil some for the terrorist. If I am making stock or bone broth, that's always a big hit.

thehistorian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just changed my rotation a bit. My cats do NOT like the Nutro Natural Choice slices in gravy and I refuse to feed them the Fancy Feast grilled slices in gravy anymore because they contain wheat gluten.

So here is a list (by brand) of the flavors I feed my kitties. Please note that I feed these flavors because they are grain-free, plant-free, and fish-free. I carefully read the labels, so if any of you are looking for further foods to add to your rotation, these are excellent.

Fancy Feast

1. Fancy Feast Classic Turkey and Giblets Feast

2. Fancy Feast Classic Tender Beef and Chicken Feast

3. Fancy Feast Classic Tender Liver and Chicken Feast

4. Fancy Feast Classic Tender Beef and Liver Feast

5. Fancy Feast Classic Chopped Grill Feast Feast

Nutro Natural Choice

1. Nutro Senior Soft Loaf Chicken Recipe Grain-Free (I cannot find the regular adult recipe on Chewy, but this seems just about the same).

2. Nutro Adult Soft Loaf Turkey Reicpe Grain-Free.

These are the only 7 flavors and varieties I rotate with them right now. I am extremely picky about what I feed them and finding other grain, plant, and foo-foo free canned cat food is difficult! I have thought about adding the Nutro Natural Choice Duck to the rotation, but neither of them have ever had duck and I am hesitant because you know cats!

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a kitten whom I swear has pica. If it fits in his mouth, it's a potential snack :lol: point is, he's not picky.
This is how Luna is. I swear she has pica. She tries to eat everything. I caught her today snacking on some lettuce I left on the counter at lunch. She was chowing down on a huge piece of iceburgh. She also loves cottage cheese. I have to lock her away if I'm going to get the cottage cheese out.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
This is how Luna is. I swear she has pica. She tries to eat everything. I caught her today snacking on some lettuce I left on the counter at lunch. She was chowing down on a huge piece of iceburgh. She also loves cottage cheese. I have to lock her away if I'm going to get the cottage cheese out.
My Miss Purrdy comes running for ham, so do the dogs, must be an aphrodisiac for them