Cat Food Recall Weruva Best Feline Friend (bff) Product Recall - Australia

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I received this email today.

Dear Customers,

We have been informed about a potential product issue with the Best Feline Friend (BFF) canned cat food line manufactured by Weruva.

As a precaution, we have taken the proactive measure of immediately removing all BFF products from all our stores and online until further product testing is completed. We recommend you do not feed this product to your pet.

The product is currently undergoing independent testing in Australia. We are liaising with the manufacturer Weruva to investigate this further.

Andrea Hutchings

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I received this also today, does any1 know why? as my cat has been very ill and almost died could this be from this food?

Miffysmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rang the number to try and find out more about it. They did not say too much other than being made aware that the product may not have been produced to their guidelines and recipe. They could not confirm if I kept feeding my cat that she may become ill. As I live in a regional area and get relatives to buy it for me in bulk and send it up me, I am not in a position to return it for a refund.
Kitten, how long have you been feeding your cat BFF? And do you give it to him/her everyday? What sort of illness did your cat have?
I am not sure what to do, as my cat seems to really like it and at 16 years old she is so fussy.

overwhelmed2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I received this email too. I started feeding it to my cat in the last few weeks as she was recently diagnosed as diabetic and this food is supposed to be low cal and grain free. I'm so anxious watching my kitty like a hawk in case she gets a hypo from the insulin and now I have to worry if the food I've been feeding her is going to make her sick too!! They should at least tell us what to watch for / worry about. I wonder if we email and threaten to sue them if they will give more info?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The email I received was from Petbarn, they stated in it that if you returned it to them they would refund your money.

Andrea, fish is not generally recommended for cats as an everyday food, it can cause a thiamine deficiency for one. If you perform an internet search and pick a site you trust you will find other reasons.

Andrea Hutchings

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was eating primarily (a good brand) dry food and only had wet food as a treat. I have fed him a few cans of this food and he went off all food & would only drink water if I held him near dripping tap. He lost almost 2kg and with daily visits to vet is now on the mend and eating & drinking again. I would like to know if this NEW food I gave him caused this!

SJW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
if your cat is refusing to eat/drink for more than 2 or 3 days I am told that is high risk of kidney failure....I took my cat to vet and she was put on IV fluids for 24 hours, now a weekend of monitoring, pain meds admin, syringe for water min every hour.....etc.....coincides with BFF recall.....have to say, PetBarn have handled this very well...also BFF so far

wendy r

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 16 year old cat has been really ill vomitting every night we have done blood tewsts Xrays and tried anti biotics anti inflammatory and now steroid injections.. tHis is awful....we need to find out what happened not fair on our cats

Mia the Siberian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also tried to call Weruva Customer Service yesterday immediately after receiving a text from Petbarn. I was advised by a woman that I would be called back in the afternoon with more information.

Of course, I was not called back.

My cat recently turned one and we transitioned her from The Hills Science Diet branded kitten food to BFF. Coincidentally, after feeding her a can of BFF one evening, she immediately threw up.

My cat has never thrown up food in the year that we have had her. At the time, we put it down to her being a bit of a guts and ingesting the food quickly. I'm not so sure anymore.

Yesterday, upon returning the BFF cans to Petbarn, one of the staff members advised me that the previous person who had returned the cans also reported that her cat had vomitted after consuming a can of BFF.

I am genuinely concerned for my cats health, and am outraged that Weruva will not disclose any further information about the recalling of their product.

If anyone receives information from Weruva, please post to this thread.

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Is it true that this company never had a recall before now? Weruva Cat & Kitten Food Reviews & Recalls 2017, I don't feed BFF, but it is certainly concerning nonetheless, as I know it was regarded as a highly reputable brand and was a favorite of many cats (and their owners).

Mia the Siberian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
FYI...

Petbarn's Facebook page have posted about the product recall and there are hundreds of comments underneath the post from individuals who have fed their cats BFF, and consequently, their cats have become very, very ill. There have sadly also been fatalities.

Last edited:

Sedans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Like others I heard about this cat food recall yesterday via SMS and i commend PetBarn for using an effective and far reaching way to communicate this to cat owners and users of BFF. Like others, my cat loves BFF.

I took my cans straight to PetBarn and was refunding quickly and easily. I think was the first person to return my tins. I encourage you to gather you tons and return them and then try to find an alternative food which you cat will like.

I appreciate they are doing their best to determine the effect of this and hopefully they will be able to give us more information soon. That would be helpful to everyone and allow us to look for real signs and symptoms and escalate appropriately rather than speculating on the internet.

I feel terrible for the owners whose dear pets are unwell and hope they get treated quickly and they respond. I'm thinking of you and you furry family member.

Last edited:

wendy r

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently this letter attached when I wrote and begged them to tell me the problem so I can get my boy better

Attachments

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pet valu sells in toronto sells weruva bff. I wonder if they will pull it off the shelves or if its just an Australian problem. Our guys get weruva chicken licken.

tracie hotchner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pet valu sells in toronto sells weruva bff. I wonder if they will pull it off the shelves or if its just an Australian problem. Our guys get weruva chicken licken.
The only potentially affected foods are some flavors made only for the Australian market- no products in the U.S. are in any way affected. Paw Lickin' Chicken will always be everybody's favorite!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BFF is fish only here.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, it's very much a fish-based food in Australia so I've never bought it for my two.

tracie hotchner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, it's very much a fish-based food in Australia so I've never bought it for my two.
The wonderful relieving news for everyone is this message from the Weruva company:
Regarding our recent announcement (goo.gl/fxDcy8), all tested foods have come back clear.
Per veterinary guidance, initial testing focused on heavy metals (mercury and arsenic). All foods tested have shown levels well below industry required standards for human and pet consumption. We remain committed to our customers and their pets’ well being. We will continue to provide updates as they are available.

Last edited by a moderator:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
The wonderful relieving news for everyone is this message from the Weruva company:
Regarding our recent announcement (goo.gl/fxDcy8), all tested foods have come back clear.
Per veterinary guidance, initial testing focused on heavy metals (mercury and arsenic). All foods tested have shown levels well below industry required standards for human and pet consumption. We remain committed to our customers and their pets’ well being. We will continue to provide updates as they are available.

So they couldn't figure out what was wrong with the food? Lots of cats became very sick after eating this, so there must be something tainting those batches of BFF.

tracie hotchner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's actually not clear the the food was teh cause of whatever illnesses there were- which may not have been accurately reported, either. Social media can create problems actually. So for now, take a deep breath and let's see how this all shakes out.