what's your favorite cat litter?

barbh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pet supplies plus store brand clumping. Cats don't know it's not Tidy Cat---& saves a ton!
Currently trying this one myself, clumps well but I have found it to be extremely dusty. I have always used Tidy cats and even though there is some dust it doesn't seem as bad as the pet supplies plus brand. Not sure if maybe I got a batch from the end, but I have issues with asthma and the extra dust from this litter seems to been causing me more issues lately.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can't disagree on the dust - I don't find the dust enough of an issue to override the savings (we use so much litter that the savings of up to $8 a box is enormous for us). And for anyone with asthma - I can see it very possibly being an issue. But it's the only issue I find to be much of a difference. All 5 of our indoor cats made the switch with not a single accident, and I haven't noticed a difference in clumping/smell/etc. But I will agree on the dust - for me it's barely noticeable and worth the savings, but I can see where for some people (and cats) it would be a problem!

audri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been so confused about this whole litter thing!! It's frustrating! Such varied opinions of the same items every time! Insane! Have tried so many and either there is way too much dust covering everything in my house , the cats hate it (I have 2) or my house smells despite the expensive litter I buy. So far I know I need the litter to clump and it CANNOT be dusty and most importantly, I CANNOT have my house smelling! I used Fresh Step the longest because the odor protection was great. However, I could no longer handle the dust plus my hubby was about to get rid of the cats and I if that didn't change! Arm & Hammer was not that great at odor control and still too dusty. Now I have been using the very expensive Clump & Seal which was okay when I just started using it - almost no dust (Thank God!!), some clumping  (could be better really), but after just a few weeks I can smell the litter box despite throwing everything out and starting over after a few days. This litter is way too expensive for all that! HELP!! I don't know what to do anymore and my husband is certainly NOT happy!! I empty the litter boxes (I have 2 active boxes plus one stand by for my 2 cats) at least twice daily as the cats are fussy and will not use the boxesif they are dirty. Is there any hope out there? I don't know who to believe anymore!! 

psl8675309

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We use Dr. Elsey, blue bag. No stink and nice clumps. No dust. We tried several and found this one. Hope this helps.

aoi chan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat uses Dr. Elsey's Ultra Precious Cat too.

Audri, is it possible to get an air purifier to get both the smell and the dust? Just a thought.

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I actually tried arm & hamer and didnt like it. Scoop away is my litter now love it and cheaper in the long run good oder control even for my cat that doeant cover up her busines. It even says not to dumo but scoop daily and that is cheaper in the long run

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here's a great one that I stumbled on ....
It is Rural King's clumping litter. It clumps great & NO DUST !!! 40 #'s for $9.99 in heavy plastic bags (brown label).

I've been using it a month now, the cats prefer its fine sand texture. :)

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you made it to AZ @pbm ? How are you liking it?

, Somewhere I read that some folks were getting pine pellets from tractor supply stores for a low price.  I want to keep the cats happy, but don't have unlimited time or money to spend on them. So... I might look for a tractor supply store after we move to Arizona in 2-1/2 weeks or so.  In the meantime, I'll prolly be using temporarily disposable litter boxes with either Fresh Step or another, similar litter.  I returned 4 bags of Jonny Cat for a refund.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dumped in some TSC clumping kitty litter yesterday. Didn't find it any less dusty than any other. Clumps ... okay. Don't think I'll buy it again because I can't do the lifting in and out of the car. It comes in a 50 pound box. It was difficult to put it into a cache of smaller containers that I can lift. I do this outside to keep some dust out. Cheap, though, especially when one cat is diabetic and the other is on sub-q fluids.

And it is summer! - which means the garbage can is back in the park beside my house. Making nightly trips to dispose of clumps. Lessens the smell.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bought 2 more boxes of TCS litter because I was at the store and it was on sale. Poured one box into smaller containers outside where the dust doesn't matter. By the time I was finished, there was a big cloud of dust in the air, so much that I could feel it in my lungs. My initial box did not contain so much dust. Could explain why it was on sale at $8.99 instead of $12.99. Will be taking the other box to the local shelter.

gladys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Love tidy cats!!!!! As long as you keep filling as it gets low it's great!!!!  The clumps don't really stick to the bottom unless u are really low,yet light enough to scoop up. I scoop twice a day so the boxes stay clean. My cats actually wait if they think the boxes are nasty  for me to clean before they go in. I buy the plastic  35 gallon  bins and cut a 4x4 square in the bin instead of buying those small litterboxes that cost a fortune in the pet stores. The cats feel that they have "luxury" bathrooms.

blackcat416

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just started using corn to keep the dust down. For some reason Swheat Scoop had become way to dusty for me. So far so good with the corn. Looks like Swheat Scoop is history.

sunset97

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For the last couple months I have been using Cat's Pride Fresh & Light.  The one I got was scented but it has a really light scent not like most scented litters. They also have a unscented litter. It clumps really well.  And best of all it is almost completely dust free!  I did not notice any dust pouring it into the box or when scooping.  And my cat no longer comes out of the litter box coughing like he did with previous litters I tried. I am sticking with this litter.

Last edited:

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it or not, but I have tried a ton of litter over the years and nothing has come close to this inexpensive "Paws n Claws" litter from tractor supply.

It is low dust (thank God!), doesn't have a smell (ie no perfume smell), and covers odors well.

Wait for it...

It costs $6 for 25#. I've paid 3 times that and not been satisfied.

Give it a try:D

purrrdy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been using Cats Pride scoopable and flushable and really like it. I get it at Big Lots or Wal Mart Marketplace grocery.  It has no heavy perfumes and hides odor very well. It is a very fine consistency, like sand. I keep it right next to a toilet in my master bath and it flushes and dissolves easily.

Tidy Cat clumping is in my other box upstairs  and it does not hide odor well and is very dusty, it also has a nasty perfumey smell that is over powering when mixed with strong cat pewp.

kailey0317

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I have been so confused about this whole litter thing!! It's frustrating! Such varied opinions of the same items every time! Insane! Have tried so many and either there is way too much dust covering everything in my house , the cats hate it (I have 2) or my house smells despite the expensive litter I buy. So far I know I need the litter to clump and it CANNOT be dusty and most importantly, I CANNOT have my house smelling! I used Fresh Step the longest because the odor protection was great. However, I could no longer handle the dust plus my hubby was about to get rid of the cats and I if that didn't change! Arm & Hammer was not that great at odor control and still too dusty. Now I have been using the very expensive Clump & Seal which was okay when I just started using it - almost no dust (Thank God!!), some clumping  (could be better really), but after just a few weeks I can smell the litter box despite throwing everything out and starting over after a few days. This litter is way too expensive for all that! HELP!! I don't know what to do anymore and my husband is certainly NOT happy!! I empty the litter boxes (I have 2 active boxes plus one stand by for my 2 cats) at least twice daily as the cats are fussy and will not use the boxesif they are dirty. Is there any hope out there? I don't know who to believe anymore!! 
Hi! I'm not sure if you found a solution to your problem but I can try to help. My kitten has a cheapo litter box with cheapo litter. Yet the litter works. My go-to for my kitty is Tractor Supply if you have one near it could just about be a life savor. The litter I use is called Paws and Claws Scoopable. It has minimal dust which the Fresh Step her previous owner had given me had tons of! I believe the smell works pretty well for the low cost and the litter itself has no gross (as my boyfriend says) cheap cologne scent. There is a review on the site you can check as well.

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pet Valu's Fresh For Life Multi. I've used Pet Valu litter since 1994 in its many incarnations and its always been the best. It clumps well, the odor control is great, and it has no added perfume do repulse the cats (or me!)

sophiegirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I like Tidy Cat and Cat's Pride clumping litter. When I came to my daughter's for a couple of weeks in Alabama, she bought Arm & Hammer 7 day litter and it works fantastic. Even though I clean both containers of poop and urine daily, there is no odor. I love this litter but it is expensive for me. I will definitely have to work this litter into my budget. Give it a try you will love it and it is clumping litter.

thehistorian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I switch between World Best's Cat Litter and Swheat Scoop. My girl does not have a problem with either and they are both dust free, have great clumping action, and great odor control. The only issue is tracking and that my cat still manages to get an irritated paw every now and again.