what's your favorite cat litter?

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've been through so many, but have settled on World's Best Multi Cat. It tracks less than others and we like that it doesn't have silica. It is scooped at least once a day( and likely more). Oder hasn't been an issue except when our little fella had a parasite.
Plain old layer crumbles for baby birds works just as well as WBC. It's a whole lot cheaper too.

bijouandrocky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our household uses tidycats instant action. I was curious to see which litter was best, so I tested all the types of litter (crystal, clay, pellets, and plant based) and clay had better absorbency and clumping strength according to the data I collected. However, there are many other benefits with the other varieties, I simply stick with clay litter as it has worked well for me.

annonymous

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think most cats prefer clay litter. The shelter where I adopted my cat from used Feline Pine pellets. They said he wouldn't use the litter box. I buy Dr. Elsey's Precious cat litter from Amazon . My cat has never not used the litter box. Unscented, dust free clay litter is best.

kj24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Arm & Hammer Essentials Clumping Natural Cat Litter is the best to me. It clumps. It's natural. It has a light citrus smell. It has little to no dust. It doesn't require to be changed as often. My cat loves it.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like this litter too (Fresh Step extreme). Dr Elsey's is still my favorite but this is a good one, too. They are selling it in bonus size boxes at Wal Mart. 3 extra pounds in the 25 pound box.

For you World's Best fans, Wal Mart has it on clearance (at least my store did). The lavender kind is $11.97. The one in the red bag (Multi cat?) is a little more for a 15 pound bag. All bags had $3 off coupons on them

Last edited:

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra  , the best  I have found so far ..  It has almost NO dust . That is my number one concern with cat litter ..

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I like this litter too (Fresh Step extreme). Dr Elsey's is still my favorite but this is a good one, too. They are selling it in bonus size boxes at Wal Mart. 3 extra pounds in the 25 pound box.

For you World's Best fans, Wal Mart has it on clearance (at least my store did). The lavender kind is $11.97. The one in the red bag (Multi cat?) is a little more for a 15 pound bag. All bags had $3 off coupons on them
I am more concerned with smell. I must say no one would ever smell cat in my house. My monster boy used to wake you up with smelly poo when he ate dry, no more smell on wet food. He smelled worse than 4 girl kitties. His turds were bigger than my dogs, not any more now he eats wet. I know, too much information. [emoji]128576[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128576[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️ Does Dr. Elsey's control odor as well as FSE?

Last edited:

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am more concerned with smell. I must say no one would ever smell cat in my house. My monster boy used to wake you up with smelly poo when he ate dry, no more smell on wet food. He smelled worse than 4 girl kitties. His turds were bigger than my dogs, not any more now he eats wet. I know, too much information. [emoji]128576[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128576[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️ Does Dr. Elsey's control odor as well as FSE?
The Dr. Elsey's I use is unscented .  I love it .  There is never any litter box odor in my house  , I also clean it twice a day ..  I used to use Tidy Cat Clumping , to me the Dr Elsey's is 100% better ..

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Henry's #2 used to smell until I got him off the dry food. Now none of theirs smell (once in a blue moon maybe) but yes, the Dr Elsey's is great for odor control and IMO clumps better than anything. I have the FSE in the house now because I won't pay the premium price for the Dr Elsey's from Petco. It's cheaper from Amazon and I can get it delivered to my door in 2 days. Dr. Elsey's is still #1 with me but the FSE is the one I'd use if I got low on Dr. Elsey's and was waiting on a shipment.

scotty parno

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I was told that worlds best is from corn and a lot of cats are ingesting it and running into serious problems

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Henry's #2 used to smell until I got him off the dry food. Now none of theirs smell (once in a blue moon maybe) but yes, the Dr Elsey's is great for odor control and IMO clumps better than anything. I have the FSE in the house now because I won't pay the premium price for the Dr Elsey's from Petco. It's cheaper from Amazon and I can get it delivered to my door in 2 days. Dr. Elsey's is still #1 with me but the FSE is the one I'd use if I got low on Dr. Elsey's and was waiting on a shipment.
Is Elseys only sold at Petco? Not pet smart or pet supplies plus?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is Elseys only sold at Petco? Not pet smart or pet supplies plus?
Petsmart sells it for $17.99 for a 40 pound bag. I mentioned Petco because it was where I had gotten the first bag I tried. I'll buy it again from Amazon. My UPS driver is going to hate me.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm still using the Hartz clumping. So far it's still working and I still like it.

Hardly any dust and great clumping power. With 5 cats it is been put through the test.

I am not a fan of any Hartz product but I had tried everything else in the store and so far this has been the best yet.

baby may

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my fur babies prefers Fresh Step, but the other one REALLY likes PDQ Stall Refresher or Stall Dry. These last two are for animal stalls and absorb ammonia.  They do NOT clump (well, they do, but it's very loose).  That said, they're more like sand and my other fur baby LOVES the sandy feel apparently.  She digs and buries much better in it also.  PDQ is available at my local farm store for about $9/bag and one bag lasts me quite a long time........say, over a month or more.....for my one baby.  Unbeknownst to the other kitty, I've begun mixing Fresh Step with the PDQ in her box.  It makes it easier to CLEAN as it keeps the "residual" muddy residue down to a minimum. THAT fur baby likes to dig all the way down to bare box, pee, then leave a puddle.  I can just flip a bit of litter with PDQ over that, and walk away knowing it won't create MUD.  Then, I can go back and stir it into the litter. It won't make a "clump" but it won't make mud either.  Makes washing the boxes easier that way, too. :)

cindi406

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried Feline Pine the other day and it was pretty good as far as pellet litter is concerned. I liked the fresh smell, but it seemed a bit overwhelming. I would have to say that I am much happier with Yesterday's News. I just like pellet litters so much better because I cannot stand the dust everywhere from other types of litter. I tried the corn cob litters and they remind me of massively huge dust particles because they tracked the little bits all over the place. So, I have to say after experimenting I returned back to Yesterday's News because it does not have an overwhelming odor that overwhelms my candles and Murphy's Oil or Fabuloso. It has a mild scent that is closer to neutral and I just continue to keep the litter boxes cleaned as I pass by on occasion throughout the day. I change out the litter boxes when I do begin to tell they need cleaned or begin to be dirty. I think it works just great!