What's the Weather and Temperature like where you live ? - 2024

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a heater you can run in that bathroom?
Yes, had one aimed at pipes in closet with crawl space opening all day, no luck. What is so weird is that sink & tub cold faucets are open and if the hot is turned on in sink, warmish water comes out of the cold tap in tub, and visa versa.:runaround:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
-10 this morning but -26 with windchill. It's clear outside though which is a plus. 👍

-2°F with real feel-22°f. Upstairs toliet, tub & bathroom sink cold water are frozen. Hot water ok in both. Hot & cold water working in kitchen & basement. Have heater on pipe in basement and another in upstairs bathroom blowing on pipes in crawlspace opening. Made chili last nite, going to make tater soup now. Front door dead lock not wanting to work. I got plastic on all but 2 of large downstairs windows. Gypsy hibernating.
Any change with your frozen pipes? Did Gypsy come out of hibernation? :coldcat:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
-10 this morning but -26 with windchill. It's clear outside though which is a plus. 👍

Any change with your frozen pipes? Did Gypsy come out of hibernation? :coldcat:
We got above 0° today! Windchill was still below 0° but not double digets. I had the heater in basenent in the same location as last year when all the pipes froze but it wasn't doing any good. I finally got the idea of following the cold water copper pipe running across the basement ceiling. Knew it was working in the kitchen so followed it to the junction to the out side faucet but was afraid to go outside to see if it was froze up just in case it wouldn't shut off or break off or something. (House is over 100 yrs old with little or no upkeep ). I moved the electric heater to just past the junction and set it on a tower of boxes and totes a few feet below the pipe. A couple of hours later I was just getting ready to go down with the hair dryer and an extension cord when from upstairs came the thundering sound of cold water coming full force out of the tub tap! Made me jump, it was very loud! So all is well with the water, will be letting it drip til temp gets above freezing. Sun was shining bright and was warm enough coming thru the dining room South window I was able to open the shades for Gypsy to lounge in her regular spot in the window sill and her padded stool. She wouldn't venture outside with me to replenish the water bowls but did some major zoomies, chasing her wand toy and napping in upstairs sun spot. We have been very attuned to her state of mind throughout this very stressful bitter cold. She has been eating and pooping and peeing just great. Thanks for checking 😽

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another Cold Day as its currently 1F. And under a Windchill advisory again. Supposedly tonight windchill is to dip to a -25F. I certainly with be happy when Spring arrives.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
The weather here is absurd.. walking outside is like going into a steaming oven. It is our hot season, but this is unreal.
Yesterday, for example, the actual temperature was 30C (86F), which is right for this time of year, but the 'feels like' was 36C (97F)! Even that temperature can be bearable, but not when you feel like you're in a steambath.
Bit of a rant, but honestly, it's been like this for a month and it's very hard to do anything. Thank heavens for aircon in the house!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Currently 9F with snow showers tonight. Carleton is laying by the heating vent - smart kitty. :winkcat:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to think global warming wasn't real. I thought it was just the natural course of the world and this is the current rotation we are on. However, Jan 20th and it's 60° (15° C)?
I now believe I was wrong and it's getting worse. We've had virtually no snow and this is where most of the water for the state comes from. It's going to get bad quick.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to think global warming wasn't real. I thought it was just the natural course of the world and this is the current rotation we are on. However, Jan 20th and it's 60° (15° C)?
I now believe I was wrong and it's getting worse. We've had virtually no snow and this is where most of the water for the state comes from. It's going to get bad quick.
If your missing the Cold weather. Then come too Iowa as we have plenty of that to share. For instance right now it's 1F with appropriately 10 inches of snow on the ground.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it is 13 degrees outside, and my car battery will not start!! It worked, remotely, yesterday afternoon and again around 9pm.... Not this morning... dam
It has some charge, as all the dashboard lights go on when cranked, and the headlights go on. But the car will just not crank over... dam..
Was going to mass today, but I guess I cannot... I think I will try it later... I do have AAA; however, it will take hours and hours for them to arrive. I am retired, have tons of food in here...

If I wait until Tomorrow, I know one of the Maintence guys in here has a portable charger; hopefully... If so, then I can ask him to jump it. If successful, I can zip down to the garage... and have them check things out. I can either Uber back or get a friend to pick me up.
Probably Uber.

I knew I should have gotten an oil change a couple weeks ago... but we had a massive outbreak of Covid-- I was afraid to wait in the garage... I was really avoiding things.. One of the woman who had covid, works as a receptionist in the garage...

It is weird: When you stay home by choice, yet know you can go out with a working car; things are ok.. When the car does not work, and you are stuck inside.. then you get anxious..

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your missing the Cold weather. Then come too Iowa as we have plenty of that to share. For instance right now it's 1F with appropriately 10 inches of snow on the ground.
Not missing it, just worried. Right now it's around 50° and raining. But rain isn't what we truly need. We need the snow runoff.

Jahpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had freezing rain today, and it was so bad that I was hearing stories that cars were in the ditch and a semi went on its side, kind of in a city close to ours. I was so scared to go in because I have a three month old too, because we go to I work at a daycare, I asked if I could go in later and they said sure but I was so nervous about driving in that they called me later and said I didn’t have to go in but it was super icy out