What's the last thing you ate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how do you make apple peel jelly?
you use the apple peels, cores, stems, and seeds to make apple peel jelly. i like it partly because it makes use of parts of the apples that would normally be thrown out.

i boil the apple peels/cores/seeds/stems in water for 30 minutes, then pour it through a strainer into a bowl. it's important not to press the peels when draining them, because if you do you'll end up with cloudy jelly. you take the liquid and return it to the large saucepan, and mix in powdered fruit pectin with a whisk until it's fully dissolved. then you pour the sugar into the liquid all at once and stir until the sugar is dissolved. bring the liquid mixture to a full rolling boil, and let it boil hard for about 3 minutes or so stirring constantly. the pectin instructions say to boil for one minute, but in my experience it takes a good 3 minutes of hard boiling for the jelly to get to the point of gelling properly. i always test it by putting a spoon with a little jelly on it in the freezer for 2-3 minutes -- if the jelly holds firm/doesn't stick to your finger when you run it across the jelly after cooling in the freezer, then it's gelled properly. i then pour the jelly into sterilized canning jars and process them in a hot water bath canner.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds lovely. I used to make tons of jams but instead pectin used lemon juice.
it really does taste very nice. the apple peel jelly is clear pinkish colored, very pretty. i've never tried using lemon juice instead of pectin. i know that it's helpful to add a bit of lemon juice when making jams/jellies, it can help the pectin gel better.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm eating snow peas and carrot sticks. One of my cats just stepped in the bowl. I'm trying not to think about the bottom of her paws!!! ;)

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a fruit I used to make two jams out of but I can't remember which one. One was from the fruit and another was jelly jam. Yummy. I made tons of jams when the kids were small and granola. And baked caked and cooked. Not any more though. No energy.
We've had rain at last.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a fruit I used to make two jams out of but I can't remember which one. One was from the fruit and another was jelly jam. Yummy. I made tons of jams when the kids were small and granola. And baked caked and cooked. Not any more though. No energy.
We've had rain at last.
there are people who make jams/jellies at home still, but (maybe) not as many as used to make them years ago. it's really too bad, because homemade jams/jellies are very tasty and much better than store bought (with who knows what preservatives and etc in them).

last year was my first year making jams/jellies, and i gave some jars as christmas gifts. they make wonderful gifts.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a hard boiled egg, toast with butter and apple peel jelly, a glass of juice, and a glass of milk -- my breakfast. my toast this morning was from a loaf of english muffin bread i made for the first time -- really very good!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
During my jam making days i bought a new fridge. A larger one but as the old one was still good I stored all my jams there. I used to make 3 kilo at a time and summer was most of them. Peaches ,
plums, apricot, short season, grape, my one failure. I overcooked them. Those tiny oranges just cut with the peel. You name it I tried it so we had strawberry jam in the summer. I was self taught. Mum kept us out of the kitchen.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

there are people who make jams/jellies at home still, but (maybe) not as many as used to make them years ago. it's really too bad, because homemade jams/jellies are very tasty and much better than store bought (with who knows what preservatives and etc in them).

last year was my first year making jams/jellies, and i gave some jars as christmas gifts. they make wonderful gifts.
I love in a community with a lot of Mennonites and they are always selling at the Farmer's Markets and have little stands around so I usually buy my jam from them. I once bought a strawberry rhubarb one....it was SO good. 
 I love buying canned items from the Mennonite stands.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
During my jam making days i bought a new fridge. A larger one but as the old one was still good I stored all my jams there. I used to make 3 kilo at a time and summer was most of them. Peaches ,
plums, apricot, short season, grape, my one failure. I overcooked them. Those tiny oranges just cut with the peel. You name it I tried it so we had strawberry jam in the summer. I was self taught. Mum kept us out of the kitchen.
when i replaced my old fridge (19+ years old) with a new energy efficient fridge, i kept the old fridge too. i had the delivery men move it out to my enclosed back porch. i use that old fridge to store my flours (i buy flour in 50lb bags), some of the many 32 oz containers of yogurt i always have on hand, and apples during apple season.

i'm a self taught cook, baker, food preserver. i learn so much via the internet.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I love in a community with a lot of Mennonites and they are always selling at the Farmer's Markets and have little stands around so I usually buy my jam from them. I once bought a strawberry rhubarb one....it was SO good. 
 I love buying canned items from the Mennonite stands.
ooohhhhh!!! mennonite and amish cooks/bakers make such wonderfully tasty foods! there is an amish community near where i live, and some mennonites in my area too.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Mmmm, my mom used to make piles of jams come late summer as we lived in an area where they grew raspberries, strawberries, and blackcurrants amongst other things.   About 40 jars of each - we would all drive out to where the farms were and on the way home the boot of the car would be completely stuffed full of tubs of berries ready for the jam.  Of course a few would be eaten fresh but most went in to jam.

Tonight I am afraid I had an almond Magnum ice cream.
    They are being sold off half price now with summer being well and truly over.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Didn't have Internet then. Don't forget I'm 70. This was trial, error, recipes and help from married women at work.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Didn't have Internet then. Don't forget I'm 70. This was trial, error, recipes and help from married women at work.
then it's even more impressive that you learned to make so many jams and jellies!

i'm old enough that i didn't grow up with the internet either. i used computers at work for years, but it's only been in the last 8-9 years that i've had a personal computer. i'm really very comfortable on a computer, and i find them fascinating and enjoy learning more about computers in general. these days i use the internet to learn how to do all sorts of things, including finding recipes and making home repairs.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Mmmm, my mom used to make piles of jams come late summer as we lived in an area where they grew raspberries, strawberries, and blackcurrants amongst other things.   About 40 jars of each - we would all drive out to where the farms were and on the way home the boot of the car would be completely stuffed full of tubs of berries ready for the jam.  Of course a few would be eaten fresh but most went in to jam.

Tonight I am afraid I had an almond Magnum ice cream.
    They are being sold off half price now with summer being well and truly over.
that does sound very yummy! homemade jams are so wonderfully tasty.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the Internet also for recipes and to check stuff out but I use my phone..I'm more comfortableb it.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
A milk chocolate encased cream thing with a tiny bit of crystalized parma violet on top - very yummy but very sickly. 
  (I can only eat one and that is saying something!)

Status
Not open for further replies.