What's on Your Mind Thread - 2024

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what his PT said of my older brother who had a total hip replacement at age 82. He has never been one to take things easy, but is always doing something- like his latest hobby is restoring old farm tractors. He even had to put up a building to house his collection.
Wonderful 82....God Bless him

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Had my eye exam today, and it went better than expected. Yes, they found cataracts in both eyes; no surprise there, but they are still small enough to not require more than monitoring. My mother suffered from macular degeneration in her latter years, but the doctor said there was no sign of that, and no sign of glaucoma, either. She does, however, want me back in another year- no more going 8 years between exams.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When I had my back surgery, the doctor prescribed Demerol, but I said, in so many words, "Noooooooooooo!" So he prescribed Darvocet N100 instead, with the Demerol as a backup if needed. It wasn't, and even the Darvocet was only sparingly used. I remember back in my time on the thoracic/ plastic surgery ward, when patients- especially burn patients- would watch the clock for the exact moment they could get their next dose of Talwin- a synthetic morphine. I vowed that would never happen to this kid.
LOL, never had to worry about that. I have SERIOUS sensitivities to Demerol, ALL opiates and synthetic opiates. I can, if utterly necessary, take one of them, but only in a hospital setting with serious anti-nausea meds on board before the pain med. Even then, the anti-nausea med only mitigates, it does not prevent. It really isn't worth it. Of course, pain management is a real lady-dog, but I'm in no danger of becoming addicted to anything.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL, never had to worry about that. I have SERIOUS sensitivities to Demerol, ALL opiates and synthetic opiates. I can, if utterly necessary, take one of them, but only in a hospital setting with serious anti-nausea meds on board before the pain med. Even then, the anti-nausea med only mitigates, it does not prevent. It really isn't worth it. Of course, pain management is a real lady-dog, but I'm in no danger of becoming addicted to anything.
The only pain med that I have a reaction to is Codeine. I was given that when my blown out discs were first diagnosed, and in the month's time between that and my appointment with the neurosurgeon, I lost 15 pounds, and I only weighed around 170 at the time. It was quite some time before I gained it all back.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, this is interesting. I went to clear out the cat shelter - typical straw filled tote sitting up against my garage, and found that it has three eggs in it. Not little ones, so duck maybe? They do stop in my yard as they migrate thru and I don’t know what other bird lays eggs on or near the ground.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, this is interesting. I went to clear out the cat shelter - typical straw filled tote sitting up against my garage, and found that it has three eggs in it. Not little ones, so duck maybe? They do stop in my yard as they migrate thru and I don’t know what other bird lays eggs on or near the ground.
Do you have any outdoor cameras you can put on it?! That’s really neat!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The killdeer does, as it makes it's nest in the dirt, but those eggs are about the same size as those of a robin, and nowhere near those of a duck or goose.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Curious to see what critter turns up. What are the temps where you are?

That's what his PT said of my older brother who had a total hip replacement at age 82. He has never been one to take things easy, but is always doing something- like his latest hobby is restoring old farm tractors. He even had to put up a building to house his collection.
Sounds like my dad. In his early 70s and still working as hard as he did 50 years ago even though his back is not right anymore. Refuses to slow down for anything. He said only death will do that. :sigh:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise

Sounds like my dad. In his early 70s and still working as hard as he did 50 years ago even though his back is not right anymore. Refuses to slow down for anything. He said only death will do that. :sigh:
It has been warm during the day but at or just below freezing at night , so I don’t know if these eggs could survive, or how long they have been in there. I just don’t open this shelter very frequently. Guess we will find out if mom returns or not.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, my paternal grandmother, in her mid-80s, was caught by one of her sons up on a ladder using a chain saw to trim a tree. She said, according to him, that it was no big deal and she didn't want to bother anyone. The same brother who got his hip replaced stopped in at our parent's house and caught our father, age 90 at the time, carrying a bundle of asphalt shingles up a ladder to do some roof repairs. It was the same story of not wanting to bother anyone. So, I guess it kind of runs in the family. And that grandmother? She lived to be 101.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’ve always thought farm raising makes most of these stubborn but strong older people. The man who built our house was about 80. Ours was the second to last one he did. My bestie had an older veteran friend she loved that passed in his mid 90s recently. He was doing heavy construction till 85!! Both were raised on farms. My grandpa was like that; hand laying a paver patio at 82… He lived in the city but spent summers picking beans and peas on farms outside of town.

FIL recently told DH that he tried to use his chainsaw and stumbled with it and decided not to do that anymore. Hes 84 and shuffling when he walks. Sometimes those stubborn sides help but gosh im glad he admitted it wasn’t safe. Hes been stubborn about hiring someone to help with his yard so its looking rough in the middle of a nice neighborhood. He says he didn’t build enough muscle when he was younger because he worked in an office. I’ve been thinking about that recently.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve always thought farm raising makes most of these stubborn but strong older people. The man who built our house was about 80. Ours was the second to last one he did. My bestie had an older veteran friend she loved that passed in his mid 90s recently. He was doing heavy construction till 85!! Both were raised on farms. My grandpa was like that; hand laying a paver patio at 82… He lived in the city but spent summers picking beans and peas on farms outside of town.

FIL recently told DH that he tried to use his chainsaw and stumbled with it and decided not to do that anymore. Hes 84 and shuffling when he walks. Sometimes those stubborn sides help but gosh im glad he admitted it wasn’t safe. Hes been stubborn about hiring someone to help with his yard so its looking rough in the middle of a nice neighborhood. He says he didn’t build enough muscle when he was younger because he worked in an office. I’ve been thinking about that recently.
I think they just don't make em like that anymore- the generation with backbone ,perseverance ,fortitude and determiniation- a very special generation

So much to learn from them-admirable

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Had a rough couple of days,my physical therapy was aggressive,excessive imo but I'm glad my therapist acted wisely when I told him it was too much,I was really hurt and he took it seriously and called my surgeon- he says I'm a beast ,lol So if I say it's unbearable then it truly is

The surgeon told him to tone it down because he knows me well and I don't need to be pushed or forced beyond what I say is tolerable- took 2,days to control the pain and swelling so whats on my mind now is to not let anyone force me beyond my limits and to stay positive and get well

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they just don't make em like that anymore- the generation with backbone ,perseverance ,fortitude and determiniation- a very special generation

So much to learn from them-admirable
I wish you were right, but for altogether too many of the latter generations, those attributes that you consider to be strengths are to them faults. They don't want to listen to us because, after all, what could we possibly know about anything? Most of us can't make our phones stand up and do tricks, many of us are only marginally computer literate; we just know how to actually do things with our hands. I long ago gave up butting my head against the wall of indifference. Let the young'uns find out for themselves the hard way.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Duck update. I do have a Mr and Mrs hanging out on the side of my house. From what I have read today, the female lays her eggs, about a dozen, over the course of a number of days, and doesn’t nestle on them until they are all laid so they all hatch at the same time. Three in the nest right now.
Is it a mallard?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise

I think you are right. My dad grew up on a farm as well. Definitely makes tough kids.