What's on Your Mind Thread - 2024

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe people with Type 2 are using it to lose weight, therefore trying to get the diabetes under control this way, and not just dieters trying to lose weight.
I understand what you're saying and of course that is a good thing if it's what their Dr prescribed .

But the reason for the shortage( they say,news etc) is all the people who want to lose weight and are getting the prescriptions from I'm not sure what kind of Dr because they are far from obese- it's been talked about alot especislly in Hollywood who's who
with celebrities suddenly losing weight and looking like toothpicks and all the allegations surrounding the reality TV people......I suppose money talks if not a medical necessity & insurance will not cover the cost.... sad

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe people with Type 2 are using it to lose weight, therefore trying to get the diabetes under control this way, and not just dieters trying to lose weight.
People with Type 2 would be on the medication anyway. Weight loss is just a side effect. My issue is that there are doctors out there prescribing it for people ONLY to lose weight. They are unnecessarily causing a shortage for people who actually depend on it to live.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand what you're saying and of course that is a good thing if it's what their Dr prescribed .

But the reason for the shortage( they say,news etc) is all the people who want to lose weight and are getting the prescriptions from I'm not sure what kind of Dr because they are far from obese- it's been talked about alot especislly in Hollywood who's who
with celebrities suddenly losing weight and looking like toothpicks and all the allegations surrounding the reality TV people......I suppose money talks if not a medical necessity & insurance will not cover the cost.... sad
Michele and I were watching the early news a couple of days ago, and there was Oprah Winfrey showing off her weight loss, and touting an upcoming special of hers about how she used, I believe, Ozempic to help her lose weight. Given the number of people who hang on her every word, I am sure that will only increase the demand, and never mind those who actually need it.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Michele and I were watching the early news a couple of days ago, and there was Oprah Winfrey showing off her weight loss, and touting an upcoming special of hers about how she used, I believe, Ozempic to help her lose weight. Given the number of people who hang on her every word, I am sure that will only increase the demand, and never mind those who actually need it.
I heard about the Oprah thing. There are injectables out there that are like Ozempic but not diabetes medications. If people would use those instead of actual diabetes medications, that is fine.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yed, but this medication does control blood sugar as well by excreting excess sugar in the individual’s urine, so for diabetics it serves a dual purpose.
I didn't realize that Dr's were prescribing it if it wasn't necessary to control diabetes. Maybe they should release a low dose version (like many other drugs) for OTC use and leave the 'real' stuff for people who actually need it.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
All drug stores around me are out of briviact which I take for seizures. Last one to take is tomorrow. Very annoying! Now what? At least I don't work til Thurs. I'm trying to make an appt asap. My dad has diabetes and weighs 132
Yes, Type 2 isn’t all about weight. It has a very strong hereditary component that isn’t weight or weight gain based. Some also have a progressive loss of pancreas function that is very similar to Type 1 diabetics.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Couldn't fully commit to Gracie being upstairs overnight with my bedroom door open because Mr Grumpy Pants was doing some hissing for no reason. They had such a good day together too with zero hissing. Grr!! So I let Gracie stay upstairs but I shut my bedroom door with Boone inside because I couldn't fall asleep worrying about possible middle of the night fights.

Boone started banging on my door around 4am so I let him out. Gracie was asleep on the back of the couch. He immediately went to get a snack of dry food so I decided to just feed them breakfast then. I went back to bed and sleep another few hours. Everything was fine with Boone and Gracie so we'll see if an open door can be achieved tonight.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Couldn't fully commit to Gracie being upstairs overnight with my bedroom door open because Mr Grumpy Pants was doing some hissing for no reason. They had such a good day together too with zero hissing. Grr!! So I let Gracie stay upstairs but I shut my bedroom door with Boone inside because I couldn't fall asleep worrying about possible middle of the night fights.

Boone started banging on my door around 4am so I let him out. Gracie was asleep on the back of the couch. He immediately went to get a snack of dry food so I decided to just feed them breakfast then. I went back to bed and sleep another few hours. Everything was fine with Boone and Gracie so we'll see if an open door can be achieved tonight.
I don't pay too much attention to hissing as long as the body language shows no real threat of aggression- hissingis more or less " STAY AWAY FROM ME" if that's all there is without an arched back,puffy tail etc

I completely understand your hesitancy because you'll be sleeping & unable to assess...it does sound like they are making great progress so Im cheering you on to give it a go tonight-----👍❤..

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't pay too much attention to hissing as long as the body language shows no real threat of aggression- hissingis more or less " STAY AWAY FROM ME" if that's all there is without an arched back,puffy tail etc

I completely understand your hesitancy because you'll be sleeping & unable to assess...it does sound like they are making great progress so Im cheering you on to give it a go tonight-----👍❤..
I agree with your assessment of hissing however in the past, Gracie has taken it upon herself to attack over that. Usually right after they are reunited after a fight. Now that a month has passed, Gracie sees it as a signal to leave Boone alone but it always makes me nervous. Normally I tell Boone to be quiet and that Gracie isn't doing anything to him and he seems ok.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with your assessment of hissing however in the past, Gracie has taken it upon herself to attack over that. Usually right after they are reunited after a fight. Now that a month has passed, Gracie sees it as a signal to leave Boone alone but it always makes me nervous. Normally I tell Boone to be quiet and that Gracie isn't doing anything to him and he seems ok.
I understand your hesitancy completely- they have made much progress and I'm looking forward to your " Peaceful" evening report with the door open- I know you'll achieve success soon enough as you've been patient and going about it all wonderfully👍

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand your hesitancy completely- they have made much progress and I'm looking forward to your " Peaceful" evening report with the door open- I know you'll achieve success soon enough as you've been patient and going about it all wonderfully👍
It stresses me out more than the cats. Gracie likes being downstairs and Boone enjoys not having his sister around so they are more resistant to the process than I'd like.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
People with Type 2 would be on the medication anyway. Weight loss is just a side effect. My issue is that there are doctors out there prescribing it for people ONLY to lose weight. They are unnecessarily causing a shortage for people who actually depend on it to live.
This is what I’ve heard. As someone who carries way too much weight; I understand why some people are driven to try a medication. But I cannot stomach the idea of people who truly NEED that not being able to access enough. That’s selfish.

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In general medication has been harder to access lately it feels like. Had to buy my husband’s brand name meds because they hadn’t gotten in the generic. So frustrating especially because pharmacies can’t tell you where they have stock, which is so stupid if you have a prescription just transfer it to someplace that does :angrywoman:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel fortunate that- currently, at least- I don't have to take any prescription meds; only ibuprofen for the aches and pains common to old age, plus vitamin C. Of course, I haven't had a physical in maybe 8 years, either. About my eyes, I have an exam scheduled for Monday, and who knows what that will turn up.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always heat water for tea in my big glass measuring cup in the microwave. It works well! We had a ton of rain today and after a week at the inlaws; who keep their house toasty, I’ve been chiliy enough to envy that hot chocolate bomb! :lol: :yummy:

Good thing Ive got a slightly clingy cat and my Pusheen bathrobe. :cloud9:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG!! I purposely closed my door but not all the way when I went to bed so that if Gracie came in, it would creak and wake me up. Turned out, Boone opened the door to leave. I laid in bed for a bit and didn't hear anything. Curiosity was killing me so I got up to see what he was doing. This is how I found Boone and Gracie. :yess::cheerleader::loveeyes:
20240324_011726.jpg