What's on Your Mind Thread - 2024

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
sigh... I am sick... think it is the flu... dam.. This morning's Covid test negative..Ugh.. Left a message for my doctor.. but she does not listen to them until late in the day... sigh.. I could ask for a NP appointment.. I really rabbit drive in-- achy coughing, eyes tearing, fever..sneezing, nose running... fever........
Oh nooooo- I sure hope you feel better super fast- praying expedited recovery - to BETTER than before the stupid flu,grrr❤🙏

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dropped off the wee one for her itty bitty kitty surgery this morning, she yowled so loudly the whole way but then at the office she crawled on my shoulder to make biscuits while purring. Nervous but hopefully she comes through ok and has a much more comfortable life after this.

Came home and the wooly mammoth (XiaoXiao) was demanding his food 4 hours before meal time. Then I found someone had chewed my head phone cable straight off my computer, XX has always been interested in batting at cords but never chewing them but I still think he did it. Had to take the rest of the parts leftover from the cat tower to assemble an enclosure around my computer then will spend the rest of the day making sure there aren't any other cords he can dismember.

He better be glad my husband's stuff is in a room he isn't allowed in because if he had chewed his cables XX would be in kitty jail for a week probably.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What did I do that was productive today you ask? Why I arranged 21 of 31 pages of my Kindle content into categories from my laptop!! Thats 757 books to sort. Not counting the ones I have deleted while going through them. :dizzy: :lol: We still to school done too. It helped my DD had a 5 page history test again. (She got a 100% too. :banana1:) I might be too tired to read now. :lol2:

I also figured out the other day why the app we use for Spelling (and formerly reading; but we completed that program in its entirety) disappeared off DS's kindle. They are now outdated and no longer updating so not supported by the app anymore. Super annoying... BUT; I also saw today that the kid's kindles are eligible for trade in. If I trade in both I can get $25 for each and a 20% off coupon for a new kindle fire. That's roughly half the cost of a new one. So maybe soon we can bite the bullet and get a new one. DS does have a birthday in a few months.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I've now made $150 in 3 weeks just from selling plant clippings and I'm wondering how far this will go for me and if I should look into expanding and turning it into a little business.
How do you advertise these clippings,if I may ask?

That's $50 per week so far- nice pocket change ,isn't it? The thing is the more you expand as a business the more plants you need and it then really calls for alot of your time and attention,do you have the time and the room for such an endeavor?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kashmir64 kashmir64 --Are the very first "kitten" shots a full dose? What happens if I skip the 4 week boosters & wait a year to booster them? No, I would never shot them myself! Yikes. Recipe for disaster with me.

Kwik Kwik --Holden has been outside almost 10 years. I never saw him with a human. The first time I saw him he was probably 2 months old. Then as he got older, he would spray our garage. But he doesn't spray or hump anything now. I hope the vet was correct, that he is already neutered. He mostly hung out in the neighbors yard & garden, but they claim to never have saw him. Yeah right! Some winters he looked terrible! There are some other neighbors & 2 farms, but they never came looking for him.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are the very first "kitten" shots a full dose? What happens if I skip the 4 week boosters & wait a year to booster them? No, I would never shot them myself! Yikes. Recipe for disaster with me.
I've always given the full shot to kittens, puppies, horses and other livestock.
You really should ask your vet to show you how. It's so super easy. It will take a $200 vet bill down to around $15. Except for the rabies shot. Only a vet can give those. (I do know people who have given those themselves, but it's risky and you can't register them with the state yourself).

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, they need both rabies & distemper, so I will just let the vet do it. It is $233 for all 4 cats. Not bad, but I would really like to wait a year if possible.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like I said, if he's been fixed there is a real good chance he's had his shots. Is he indoor only now? If so, I see no harm in waiting.
But that's just me.

Edit: check your area. Our mountain has had recent outbreaks with rabies in wild animals and waiting on a rabies shot is not an option. Advise yourself on what's going on in your area.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
kashmir64 kashmir64 --Are the very first "kitten" shots a full dose? What happens if I skip the 4 week boosters & wait a year to booster them? No, I would never shot them myself! Yikes. Recipe for disaster with me.

Kwik Kwik --Holden has been outside almost 10 years. I never saw him with a human. The first time I saw him he was probably 2 months old. Then as he got older, he would spray our garage. But he doesn't spray or hump anything now. I hope the vet was correct, that he is already neutered. He mostly hung out in the neighbors yard & garden, but they claim to never have saw him. Yeah right! Some winters he looked terrible! There are some other neighbors & 2 farms, but they never came looking for him.
Well darlin,I hope she's right too- lol ! I'll tell you,when she said" can't FIND his private parts" that concerned me but perhaps you were paraphrasing

I am not sure what kind of Vax your Vet gave Holden,I don't know why she chose what she chose for a 10yr old cat but I did not opt for series Vax for my 7yr old feral because he would not be returning to conplete the 3-4 wk interval that is used to immunize kittens.... there are many types of vaccines and many to choose according to level of risk and lifestyle so my advice is to have this conversation with your Vet....

The typical low dose series vaccines and the core FVRCP can
be purchases by anyone- others require a script or can only be administered by a licensed Veterinarian

Kittens immature immune systems are different than adults(I'll spare you the details).... after 14wks they can get just one MLV and not require a booster- no longer receiving dams protection in her milk-so its important to find out exactly what Vax Holden was given

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you advertise these clippings,if I may ask?

That's $50 per week so far- nice pocket change ,isn't it? The thing is the more you expand as a business the more plants you need and it then really calls for alot of your time and attention,do you have the time and the room for such an endeavor?
I advertise them on facebook marketplace right now. Hmm, yeah. I never really considered the time it might take because the plants do most of the work anyway. I just make sure they are watered and fed. And right now, I guess if I were to expand, I'd need more grow lights. Maybe it's okay at it's current size after all.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Like I said, if he's been fixed there is a real good chance he's had his shots. Is he indoor only now? If so, I see no harm in waiting.
But that's just me.

Edit: check your area. Our mountain has had recent outbreaks with rabies in wild animals and waiting on a rabies shot is not an option. Advise yourself on what's going on in your area.
I would say be careful about waiting and make an educated choice. Call the vet and discuss it with them if you need to. There might even be a rescue that can help subsidize the cost. I've had Mooch nip a tech at the vet last year resulting in me having to send the state proof she is vaccinated. She's super chill at home; but being arthritic and old; she didn't like being handled. I've also had a dog get frightened and bite my stepdad out of fear; resulting in having to get medical treatment so it got reported and we had to prove she was not a dangerous dog and had her shots. She was a goofy lab; she just got scared. I've also had a cat come home injured and behind on shots; resulting in having to quarantine her while they determined if she still had the antibodies. I was about 15/16 and beside myself upset. Even though they said it was likely that our other cat was the one who bit her; those laws are there for everyone's safety. When Noodles seemed so fragile I got nervous to vaccinate older cats so we discussed the pros and cons. But after Mooch went and nipped someone, I was so glad we'd done what they asked. (I do get her a cat-specific one and I've done it at a year dose first to be sure she tolerated it.) I've also taken our dog and cat to get their rabies updated at a local fire station hosted event where it was super low cost.

So that's all my experience. My parents and I learned our lesson about getting behind and saving money. I understand they just didn't always have the finances they do now. I know several friends who've benefited from help from rescues. Sometimes they help enough to keep a pet in it's home. The trick seems to be finding who is out there that can help. I wouldn't know without word of mouth help here. A friend of mine was unexpectedly widowed last year and found herself having to quickly move to more affordable housing. She was going to have to give up a cat she'd found as a stray but not gotten fixed yet. This friend happens to live near my SIL now so I asked if she knew anyone looking for a cat. It turned out my SIL knew a rescue who sponsored getting the cat neutered so my friend could keep her cat. I did not expect that and my friend sure didn't!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But that's just me.
M maggiedemi I agree, but would add, your vet can do titers on him for vaccine levels, and take all the guesswork out of it.