What's on your Mind Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor nervous Livie! How's the butterfly now?
I know he worked on that apple for quite awhile, and now he's hanging on the side of the pen, and I'm 99% sure he's "asleep" (apparently they don't sleep like we do, but they go into kind of a vegetative state at night.) When he did this earlier, I removed the lid and gave his feet a touch and he woke up and tried to climb out!

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the magnetic ones at work, because the hair doesn't tend to stick to them as bad, and the brace I keep "as hair free as possible"!
It's weird because it's my outer tendon and that hasn't given me problems in years. Work this week was a little crazier than normal so I'm assuming that's what did it. I really don't want to lose my grip strength anymore than I already have. I tried to open a bottle of gelcaps earlier and had to use a jar opener to pry the lid off. :sigh:
Losing grip strength sucks! Some of the women at knitting were showing they can't even really make a fist anymore. :(

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know he worked on that apple for quite awhile, and now he's hanging on the side of the pen, and I'm 99% sure he's "asleep" (apparently they don't sleep like we do, but they go into kind of a vegetative state at night.) When he did this earlier, I removed the lid and gave his feet a touch and he woke up and tried to climb out!
Fingers crossed he'll be able to fly again despite the tear. I wonder how old he is? Apparently they live 2-6 weeks except for the last generation of the year, which can live 8-9 months.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Fingers crossed he'll be able to fly again despite the tear. I wonder how old he is? Apparently they live 2-6 weeks except for the last generation of the year, which can live 8-9 months.
I was wondering the same thing. I am hoping he will fly again. If he shows better wing strength, my plan is to shoo the cats inside and turn him loose in the catio for an hour or so to see how he does before releasing him.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I found a monarch butterfly that wouldn't fly today. I placed him in a patch of milkweed and kept checking and he didn't fly away, only climbed a short bit. His one wing looks a little banged up but nothing seems to be "missing" from it, but I did find a small tear.
View attachment 455011
He's currently in a makeshift bug cage with sugar water, grasses, milkweed leaves/buds, a few random flower parts, and a few apple slices (he really went to town on those :lol: ). I don't really know what else to do for him, I know they can do wing transplants but I have no idea how to do that, nor a donor wing. There was a big storm moving in and I couldn't just leave him out there to be pounded away by rain and blown around by the wind. Is there any chance a slight tear in a wing can heal itself if given time and rest?

Also...Livie was half afraid of him!
View attachment 455014
Sadly,no it will not heal and unless this beautiful creature is the last generation of the year( unlikely this time of year) the life span is maybe 6 weeks
You can feed & house the butterfly during thst time ,might even hatch eggs if it's already mated......

I live near Butterfly World,they use cotton balls soaked with diluted sugar water in petry dishes for the ones that cannot fly......

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sadly,no it will not heal and unless this beautiful creature is the last generation of the year( unlikely this time of year) the life span is maybe 6 weeks
You can feed & house the butterfly during thst time ,might even hatch eggs if it's already mated......

I live near Butterfly World,they use cotton balls soaked with diluted sugar water in petry dishes for the ones that cannot fly......
Crap, I was so hoping it would heal :(
I'm wondering if I could keep my cats inside for part of the day and let the butterfly at least be outside in the catio for a few hours a day? I gave the sugar water on cotton balls this morning and he's loving it, so I don't think he's sick, he just can't fly. 😥 I would turn him loose in my yard, but I'm afraid a predator might get him?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Crap, I was so hoping it would heal :(
I'm wondering if I could keep my cats inside for part of the day and let the butterfly at least be outside in the catio for a few hours a day? I gave the sugar water on cotton balls this morning and he's loving it, so I don't think he's sick, he just can't fly. 😥 I would turn him loose in my yard, but I'm afraid a predator might get him?
Not anywhere high off the ground though,he could injure himself in a fall.....
And yes,he'd be an easy snack for predator-poor beautiful butterfly that can't fly 😢

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
That's the thing with aIoe, it both is and is not toxic to cats. The pure geI is not, but the white inner Iining of the leaf is, because it contains Iatex. And I don't trust commerciaI fiItering processes. Best to avoid it entireIy.
Yep, Amazon accepted return for both.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
today my gf celebrates 18 years drug free. she also told me its been nearly 20 years now we have known each other :eek: i' got owned by her:eek::eek: and i never seen it happening :lol:
That's fantastic! It helps when you have a loving, supportive partner to help you get through the rough patches.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Why is it I can’t toss brass doorknobs, though I’ll never use them? Mysterious and ancient hinges? And what, precisely, am I to do w/ a huge box of screws of all stripes and sizes? This, and other things go through my mind as I attempt to organize the toolshed.
I have the same issues when it comes to tools and hardware. It might be easier to give them away that toss, but keep the screws! Those things are blasted expensive if you need them. They have those inexpensive small parts boxes where you could keep them sorted by size.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have the same issues when it comes to tools and hardware. It might be easier to give them away that toss, but keep the screws! Those things are blasted expensive if you need them. They have those inexpensive small parts boxes where you could keep them sorted by size.
And the day after you toss them, you realize you really need a few of them for the first time in 10 years. 😩

Status
Not open for further replies.