What's on your Mind Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
i got shingles itching like crazy:bawling:chicken pox all over again
I had shingles about 10 years ago... It was a mild case on my abdomen. I went crazy..burning, etc...
My doctor told me that there was some success with using Zostrix ointment.. It is a pepper based arthritis cream. I could only find it on Amazon. I do not know if it is still in production, but may be something to check out.. also, she gave me a medication, not sure of name--perhaps gabapentin-- to help reduce the nerve pain...

I also covered the area with gauze... taped in place..

Shingles is highly contagious, until the the are blisters over and forms scabs.
GF and anyone you have come into contact with, should be warned.

(((Hugs)). You have been through so much this year... ((hugs)))

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I had itt in my eyes bad. Imagine putting your eye on a burner. I kept thinking of the songs I Wear My Sunnglasses at Night and Blinded by the Light. You can now get a shingles shot. My sis had one in her abdomen.
game misconduct game misconduct

You poor dear...... not much you can do about the eyes -is it effecting your eyes as well?though tricyclic antidepressants are often prescribed and help ease some pain......you can try cold wet compresses and if you can get lidocaine patches,I believe under 5% can be obtained without a Rx,no doubt your primary care physician will be happy to call you in some patches to help relieve the pain
"SHINGLES " ( herpes zoster) is in fact not contagious but it is the same virus that causes chicken pox and that is what is contagious -so until scabs are formed ( crusty) over your rashes you can spread the virus to others -anyone unvaccinated or who have not had chicken pox- and especially pregnant or nursing women......
I'm so sorry you are going through this,very painful......take a nice cool bath

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
game misconduct game misconduct

You poor dear...... not much you can do about the eyes -is it effecting your eyes as well?though tricyclic antidepressants are often prescribed and help ease some pain......you can try cold wet compresses and if you can get lidocaine patches,I believe under 5% can be obtained without a Rx,no doubt your primary care physician will be happy to call you in some patches to help relieve the pain
"SHINGLES " ( herpes zoster) is in fact not contagious but it is the same virus that causes chicken pox and that is what is contagious -so until scabs are formed ( crusty) over your rashes you can spread the virus to others -anyone unvaccinated or who have not had chicken pox- and especially pregnant or nursing women......
I'm so sorry you are going through this,very painful......take a nice cool bath
I ment eye not eyes. That was years ago. I had drops for pain killer and antibiotic. He said it could affect the brain

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got my shingles vaccination last year. Don't want to ever have it. Now, I don't really know what it is like to have chicken pox, as I managed to contract chicken pox, measles and mumps at one time, and it was just one big ball of itchy, throat-achy misery that felt as if it lasted forever!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my shingles vaccination last year. Don't want to ever have it. Now, I don't really know what it is like to have chicken pox, as I managed to contract chicken pox, measles and mumps at one time, and it was just one big ball of itchy, throat-achy misery that felt as if it lasted forever!
Wow- go big or go home huh?
Were you a kid when you had all 3 or an adult,not fun!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I had chicken pox when I was 2.5, gave it to my mom who had somehow never had it despite having every other childhood disease, and my brother who was- approximately two weeks old. I don't remember, but I assume our house was full of misery.
Your poor Mom,2 little ones to care for and herself feeling awful-I believe you're right on,that was a whole house full of misery.... no doubt she remembers it well,lol

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i got shingles itching like crazy:bawling:chicken pox all over again
Thank you for explaining just how bad "Shingles" feels. Your statement plus a few others comments prompted me to get my 1st Shingrix dose this morning. I was a little apprehensive to get it believing it maybe expensive. Only to find out that I could get the shot Free of Charge.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had chicken pox when I was 2.5, gave it to my mom who had somehow never had it despite having every other childhood disease, and my brother who was approximately two weeks old. I don't remember, but I assume our house was full of misery.
Sounds like how it went when my mom had it. She had it at about 6 weeks old. My uncle brought it home from school when grandma was having mom. Then my aunt; who was 2, got it. So basically she had a baby and one sick kid at a time for her postpartum period. I was very happy to have my kids vaccinated for that one!

My bestie had shingles several years ago and it settled on her cheek. She was in so much pain! She was told its common for people who have had chemo and/or stem cell transplants like she had. It scarred too. :cringe:

DS has picked up my love of HGTV type programming. This is awesome. :yess: He keeps taking the tv remote and sticking it in my pocket before dinner saying “Wanna watch Cabins?:anticipation:” And then we watch an episode or two before I let DH have a turn with the remote.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.