What's for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Tonight I'm making my favorite pizza-ish food that I have only seen in one pizza place, in my hometown. The food is called a pizelli, the place is called Red Devil in Holly, MI.

Homemade pizza dough topped with mozzarella, provolone, turkey, and ham, cooked like a normal pizza. At the same time, you're cooking another thin pizza dough to put on top when you're done. After cooking, top with lettuce, onions and a healthy spattering of italian dressing. Place the other pizza dough on top, and voila! Those are the base ingredients. Sometimes I make it more salad-like with cucumbers, tomatoes, and olives, and I make it with less cheese and meat. Other times I make it more pizza-like with more meat and cheese, and adding butter and garlic to the dough. It's a very handy meal to make when you want something your kids will love as much as pizza (I know I asked for pizellis every night growing up vs every other night asking for pizza) that is still pretty healthy. Since I finally tried out our breadmaker, I am definitely making this treat much more often. The only thing keeping me from doing so before was that my wrists get sore from all that dough kneading.
You know, that sounds kind of like a Priazzo (not sure of the spelling) that the Pizza Huts around here used to carry years ago. It was the bottom crust, then filled with the ingredients and topped with the top crust, then sprinkled with cheeses. I make our own Priazzo, too, and they are so good! Most of the time, I fill them with a mixture of veggies and then a few pieces of turkey pepperoni, but sometimes Rick really wants meat, so then the sky's the limit.

I have a breadmaker, but I don't think I ever used it (Rick used it a couple times). I use my KA to mix the dough, then give it a final finish by kneading on the counter. I always make extra dough, shape the pieces into dough balls and throw them into the freezer in freezer bags. Honestly, I think I could eat pizza or priazzo or pizellis every night of my life.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keeping it simple - salad, ribeye, fresh asparagus, lower calorie high fiber bread from Dave's Killer breads, as toast.  Covers my veggie/protein/carb :)

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Chicken for me, a tuna steak for Aaron, couscous and some mixed vegetables.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night I did garlic chicken, I got a seasoning pack and it comes with a bag, you slice the chicken breasts up and cook the chicken with the seasoning in the bag, wow it was so delicious. I had salad and garlic tear and share bread with it. I smell a bit garlicy today lol.x

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight I'm making my favorite pizza-ish food that I have only seen in one pizza place, in my hometown. The food is called a pizelli, the place is called Red Devil in Holly, MI.

Homemade pizza dough topped with mozzarella, provolone, turkey, and ham, cooked like a normal pizza. At the same time, you're cooking another thin pizza dough to put on top when you're done. After cooking, top with lettuce, onions and a healthy spattering of italian dressing. Place the other pizza dough on top, and voila! Those are the base ingredients. Sometimes I make it more salad-like with cucumbers, tomatoes, and olives, and I make it with less cheese and meat. Other times I make it more pizza-like with more meat and cheese, and adding butter and garlic to the dough. It's a very handy meal to make when you want something your kids will love as much as pizza (I know I asked for pizellis every night growing up vs every other night asking for pizza) that is still pretty healthy. Since I finally tried out our breadmaker, I am definitely making this treat much more often. The only thing keeping me from doing so before was that my wrists get sore from all that dough kneading.

I had a version of this in Ny last week. they made it the same but used the meats, cheeses and lettuce, , onion and vinaigrette like an itiaian combo sandwich. Mmmm it was delicious.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last night I did garlic chicken, I got a seasoning pack and it comes with a bag, you slice the chicken breasts up and cook the chicken with the seasoning in the bag, wow it was so delicious. I had salad and garlic tear and share bread with it. I smell a bit garlicy today lol.x
I've seen those and wondered what they were like?. Is there many calories in them?

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I took some vegetable soup from the freezer for dinner tonight. We'll have garlic-parmesan yeast rolls to go with it. When Rick was in Oregon a couple weeks ago, I made a big pot of vegetable soup and another big pot of ham and bean soup to put into the freezer.

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The other night we had veal, it was my first time and I LOVED it. 

Tonight we're having bison burgers. I have buns baking in the oven now, so once they're done Mike will make the actual burgers. 

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been so rushed in the evening for the last few weeks due to being on a jury that is been really quick meals. Unfortunately quite a few were fast food grabs on my way home. On Sat I made a pot of soup and we had that for 2 meals, that was my best attempt at real cooking. No more trial...we delivered the verdict tonight. Hubby is going fishing on the ocean tomorrow so I'm planning on making fresh fish for dinner tomorrow night.

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tonight is potato and leek soup. The base is chicken stock, and I added crumbled bacon, rosemary, black pepper, shredded Jarlsberg cheese, and a bit of cream, all of which I had leftover in my fridge. :D

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Goodness, yesterday's dinner was delicious. Early in the morning, I made a rub with ground coffee, baking cocoa, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, a mixture of paprikas, brown sugar, etc. and rubbed it on two pork tenderloins. We let the pork marinate in the fridge all day, then grilled them last night for dinner. (I put one of the tenderloins back in the freezer; since we had cooked it, it was OK to refreeze and it will make a quick meal later on). To go with the pork, I made a bit of macaroni salad (warm days scream for pasta salad!) and we wrapped and grilled corn on the cob that I took out of the freezer. Some iced tea made with mint from the garden. And I made chocolate brownies for dessert that I frosted with chocolate frosting and served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. YUM!

Tonight is our Meatless Monday, so we're having grilled portobello mushrooms, stuffed with couscous and chopped spinach. And leftover pasta salad. With a salad of green beans and slivered carrots in a vinaigrette.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight will be grilled chicken with a marinade recipe from my old fannie farmer cookbook (essentially the "cornell" recipe for bbq chicken except the fannie farmer version uses less salt, less oil, less vinegar, less poultry seasoning..just..less..lol). Fresh zucchini, big salad.  Dessert - dark chocolate nut clusters.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Rick is working OT tonight and he's bowling early, so he will be the door and then back out. I'm doing a German pot roast in the pressure cooker....it won't take long, so he can eat and run.

The man has been working OT every night (and Saturdays) for the last two weeks, so he's getting really pooped. It's supposed to continue for another two weeks or so, then things should calm down again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.