What's for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Rick has the beginnings of the flu, so we won't be doing much at all tonight. I'll probably make a tuna sandwich.....he'll still be in bed or on the couch and I know he won't eat.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Making my sugar-free coconut curry chicken tonight, having a recipe I came up with for lemon walnut pinwheel cookies (just 1..I swear..maybe 2..omg these are to die for) for my carb dessert.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Swedish meatballs that I made with venison and fresh pork belly, substituting homemade blueberry gooseberry jam for cranberry jelly. Will serve it over noodles, and - probably - green beans as a side dish. Chocolate chip cookies for dessert - I think I could make then at least 49 weeks a year and my husband would be happy.

BTW - when I'm cutting venison the boys are my best buddies, hanging around for tidbits. Mr Poe runs up and perches on my shoulder, peering intently at the cutting board as if to magic some extras into coming his way. Domino just winds around my ankles, occasionally yeeking so I won't forget him. As if I would!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Cranberry roast pork in the crock pot.....just finished putting it all together.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Swedish meatballs that I made with venison and fresh pork belly, substituting homemade blueberry gooseberry jam for cranberry jelly. Will serve it over noodles, and - probably - green beans as a side dish. Chocolate chip cookies for dessert - I think I could make then at least 49 weeks a year and my husband would be happy.

BTW - when I'm cutting venison the boys are my best buddies, hanging around for tidbits. Mr Poe runs up and perches on my shoulder, peering intently at the cutting board as if to magic some extras into coming his way. Domino just winds around my ankles, occasionally yeeking so I won't forget him. As if I would!
That sounds awesome..do you have a recipe you would share for the blueberry gooseberry jam?  We planted gooseberry bushes last year - not sure how long it will take before we get some gooseberries, but i want to be prepared with recipes :)

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pat, it is a really easy preserve to make. Both blueberries and gooseberries "set" well.

2 cups blueberries and 2 cups gooseberries *Note: ripe gooseberries will be red and milder in taste. Under-ripe gooseberries are green and rather tart. Either may be used for preserves

Rinse and pick over fruit

Toss with 3 cups sugar and set aside for 1 hour. Berries will start to produce juice.

Sterilize 8 ounce and 4 ounce jelly jars Yield should be about three 8-ounce, one 4-ounce

Bring berries and sugar to a boil and cook over high heat until the preserves begin to thicken - a spoon dragged through the mass will leave a slowly closing track

Pot up preserves in the sterilized jars, wipe rims, cap with two piece lid and ring.

Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Let cool. Store in cupboard, refrigerating after jar is opened. If you do not process this way, refrigerate as soon as cool.

Lovely stirred into yogurt, over vanilla ice cream or pound cake too

My book Preserving Memories: Growing Up in My Mother's Kitchen has other recipes that might interest you.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
That preserve recipe sounds wonderful! C and P'd and I thank you!

Mac and cheese in the pressure cooker. Rick has been asking for it now for two weeks. Not sure what we're having with it.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got it..thank you so much!

I got the most wonderful wedding gift from my mother, not sure she realizes it has been one of my favorite gifts - a 3 ring binder of family recipes..which has now grown to a much larger 3 ring binder, and several more as I keep low carb recipes compliant with my diet in one, recipes to try in two others!

Perhaps someday I'll make a cookbook for my nieces.  Love the title of yours :)

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Making a venison meatloaf tonight. Haven't decided on oven roasted potatoes or mashed or what kind of veggie to go with it.Hubby will take a meat loaf sandwich and an extra for a co-worker, if he doesn't, the co-worker will bug him mercilessly for half of his. That kid loves my meatloaf!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I am going out to dinner tonight with co-workers and friends to celebrate my birthday today! I am 58 years old......shhhhhh! don't tell anybody! Rick is bowling tonight, so he won't be able to go. So it's just the usual people; there will be six of us. We always have a great time.

Anyway, we're going to our favorite Mexican restaurant.....I told everybody the heck with the food, bring on the margaritas!!! This place makes an awesome beef fajita, so I'll probably have that. And since I've finally developed a love affair with guacamole (thanks to my DDIL who made it for me a couple of weeks ago), I will now eat the guacamole that comes with my fajitas. Still won't touch the sour cream though.

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tonight's dinner is spaghetti with sauce that's been simmering in my crock pot all day, salad, and toasted garlic parmesan bread.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going out to dinner tonight with co-workers and friends to celebrate my birthday today! I am 58 years old......shhhhhh! don't tell anybody! Rick is bowling tonight, so he won't be able to go. So it's just the usual people; there will be six of us. We always have a great time.

Anyway, we're going to our favorite Mexican restaurant.....I told everybody the heck with the food, bring on the margaritas!!! This place makes an awesome beef fajita, so I'll probably have that. And since I've finally developed a love affair with guacamole (thanks to my DDIL who made it for me a couple of weeks ago), I will now eat the guacamole that comes with my fajitas. Still won't touch the sour cream though.
Happy birthday!!
  Enjoy your dinner and night out with your co-workers and friends.   Tonight we're having Papa Murphy's pizza!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.