What's for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Grilled chicken, mashed potatoes and black-eyed peas. I forgot I had corn in the fridge and it's too late to get it on the grill. Oh well, I'll save it for Saturday.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Grilled London Broil with a mustard slather, topped with caramelized red onion and mushrooms, baked potato, and garlic green beans. MInt iced tea. Dessert was a chocolate chip cookie (I made cookies this afternoon).

I started out with a recipe for the mustard slather from Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue, added another recipe for caramelized onion-mushroom sauce and then just started winging it. I had canned a few pints of honey-glazed red onions last year, so I used a pint of the onions in place of the caramelized onions in Kirk's recipe, added the sliced mushrooms....and then took it from there on my own. Delicious! I'm going to have to write it up the way I did it because Rick says it's worth keeping.

Last edited:

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stuffed peppers, baked potatoes and mac and cheese that will get done in oven-i tend to cook noodles then drain it and add cheese and butter and call it done. 

Also got these chicken poppers from aldi to try so will throw a few in.   House smells very nice with onions:)

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will be having large salad (my garden is producing wonderful salad greens - arugula, curly endive, romaine, red leaf lettuce, chives and scallions), london broil with a sugar-free rub, either boiled or creamed spinach (no flour) or boiled zucchini.  Not sure yet what my carb will be - probably low calorie/lower carb dave's killer bread :)

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Leftovers, which are salad, also made with greens from my garden, and grilled teriyaki chicken.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Ive taken a container of my homemade spaghetti sauce out to thaw and I think we will be having that with some turkey sausage.

I did pick a bunch of kale from my garden yesterday and plan on making kale soup. A good friend of mine mentioned over the weekend that he misses kale soup since he's become a vegetarian. I'm thinking of heading to Whole Foods today to pick up some soy chorizo to make a batch of vegetarian soup for him. I may see something at Whole Foods that sounds yummier for dinner. :lol3:

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive taken a container of my homemade spaghetti sauce out to thaw and I think we will be having that with some turkey sausage.
I did pick a bunch of kale from my garden yesterday and plan on making kale soup. A good friend of mine mentioned over the weekend that he misses kale soup since he's become a vegetarian. I'm thinking of heading to Whole Foods today to pick up some soy chorizo to make a batch of vegetarian soup for him. I may see something at Whole Foods that sounds yummier for dinner.
Have you tried making Kale chips?  For someone like me who had to quit her beloved potato chips (except my once a year single serving size bag..hah!), they are a divine substitution!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Couscous with pine nuts, green beans, a spicy black bean "burger" from Morning Star Farms, and a green salad.  Some pineapple for dessert.  Iced coffee.  

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Last night we had breakfast for dinner. There was leftover roast beef, a bit of leftover ham, some red pepper, and some honey-glazed red onions in the fridge. I sauteed everything together, added some EggBeaters, and some fresh herbs from the garden, and threw together a frittata with a bit of pepper jack cheese sprinkled on and melted. With toasted English muffins and a bit of applesauce on the side. Every once in a while, we really like breakfast for dinner and it was a good way to use up some leftovers.

Tonight is chicken with noodles. And strawberry shortcake for dessert. Lots of carbs, between the noodles and the shortcake, but.....oh well! Rick is so hungry for strawberry shortcake and my co-worker gave me three quarts of lovely strawberries to use. Some will go into the shortcake and some will go into a lowfat strawberry ice cream pie that I can throw into the freezer to use later.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried making Kale chips?  For someone like me who had to quit her beloved potato chips (except my once a year single serving size bag..hah!), they are a divine substitution!
Now you sound like me, Pat. Only with me, it's a bag of M & Ms with peanuts. And I allow myself to have them twice a year....Rick puts a bag in my Christmas stocking and gives me a bag on Good Friday. Those are the only times I will eat them. (I should do that with potato chips, too!
)

Last edited:

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dinner today will be breakfast for dinner - Jones farm breakfast sausages, scrambled eggs, french toast made with lower calorie (and lower carb) dave's killer bread (a really really high fiber, smaller sliced bread that is divine).  I will probably make a maple compound butter where I use just 1/4 tsp. maple syrup, some cinnamon and vanilla with melted butter for my french toast.  Lot of flavor bang for low carbs (obviously, I am not worrying about the butter's fat!).

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now you sound like me, Pat. Only with me, it's a bag of M & Ms with peanuts. And I allow myself to have them twice a year....Rick puts a bag in my Christmas stocking and gives me a bag on Good Friday. Those are the only times I will eat them. (I should do that with potato chips, too!
)
Heh..I should add doughnuts except I simply avoid those, or deflect by making spingi instead (and only once or twice a year).  Spingi are like protein pumped up doughnut holes - made with ricotta cheese, and I eat mine plain, no powdered or other sugars, no icing.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you give a link or more info about Spingi-sounds interesting and would like to try

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise

I did pick a bunch of kale from my garden yesterday and plan on making kale soup. A good friend of mine mentioned over the weekend that he misses kale soup since he's become a vegetarian. I'm thinking of heading to Whole Foods today to pick up some soy chorizo to make a batch of vegetarian soup for him. I may see something at Whole Foods that sounds yummier for dinner. :lol3:
I haven't, but with 4 more bunches of kale that will be ready to pick next week, maybe I should!

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been awhile since we've done this, so I thought I'd post it again.

Tonight it's our Meatless Monday. I have a bean stew simmering in the crock pot back in the computer room. When I get home, I'll throw together some parmesan and basil biscuits to go with it for a fast supper.

What are you making for dinner tonight?
Yumm... sounds delish Winchester.  I'm going light with baked tilapia with a lemon, dill and mustard sauce.  Brussels sprouts and wild rice with mushrooms.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a nice salad - everything homegrown - romaine, red leaf lettuce, arugula, scallions, tillapia I sauteed in butter with fresh lemon juice and garlic, broccoli, and a small slice3 Ingredient Italian Sponge Cake that I made with almond flavoring, couple grapes, couple homegrown strawberries, 1 large spoon vanilla ice cream atop.  decaf with half and half.

Status
Not open for further replies.