What's For Dinner? - 2024

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When at Costco the other day I got a nice package with two lovely pieces of chuck steak, 2 pounds each. Wrapped and froze one, to cut for stew at some point in the not too distant future. And today

Dusted the other piece with a little salt, some pepper, semi-dried fresh thyme and a sprinkle of red vermouth on both sides. Left at room temperature for a few hours (secured from Mr Poe and Domino) turning over ever 30 minutes.

Two hours later, or thereabout, I dried it off and seared with a little oil in a Dutch oven while oven heated to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. After it was well browned I took it out, set aside, wiped out pot and browned some bacon. Set bacon aside and sauteed diced onion. Added flour for a roux. When turning brown added bouillon and red vermouth, meat, put lid on pot and set in oven.

When it was time I peeled carrots and cut in pieces, peeled potatoes and cut in half (they're smallish), cut up two stalks of celery, and took frozen pearl onions from freezer package.

Remove pot from oven. Remove meat. Add vegetables. Return meat, being sure to reverse which side is up. And back into oven for an additional 90+ minutes.

Should be quite nice. Am trying to decide if I want to add frozen green peas, microwaved at the end. Or perhaps string beans - but I think they have baby carrots which would be de trop. We'll see. Perhaps not either option.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know. I really don't. I imagine lunch AND dinner will be grab-and-heat. Maybe waffles for lunch, and chicken and rice soup for dinner. Mostly because I have a LARGE grocery order coming in tonight, and I doubt I'll feel much like dealing with anything.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Um...tonight. That's actually tomorrow for me, but I needed to do my posting in the AM to fit my schedule. SO...I'll take a wild guess at eggs scrambed with peppers and onions and an English muffin for lunch (that's midnight for me), and a grilled pork chop with mashed potatoes, and creamed corn.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Um...tonight. That's actually tomorrow for me, but I needed to do my posting in the AM to fit my schedule. SO...I'll take a wild guess at eggs scrambed with peppers and onions and an English muffin for lunch (that's midnight for me), and a grilled pork chop with mashed potatoes, and creamed corn.
Sounds really good- all of it. Guess what I had last night?
Grits casserole,so good,had some Vermont maple breakfast sausage with it

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday was crêpe day. 20 years of eating crêpes on February 2nd starting with my study abroad in France.

We got take out from this place a ways away I'd never tried before and it was sooo good.

20240202_171512.jpg

The left was a macaroni and cheese filled crêpe and the right was this amazing crab rangoon special that was basically perfection.

20240202_172604.jpg

I didn't get a picture of the dessert before I cut it up and started eating, but it was like this mixture of peanut butter, chocolate, and Biscoff cookie spread and was divine.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday was crêpe day. 20 years of eating crêpes on February 2nd starting with my study abroad in France.

We got take out from this place a ways away I'd never tried before and it was sooo good.

View attachment 469472
The left was a macaroni and cheese filled crêpe and the right was this amazing crab rangoon special that was basically perfection.

View attachment 469473

I didn't get a picture of the dessert before I cut it up and started eating, but it was like this mixture of peanut butter, chocolate, and Biscoff cookie spread and was divine.
I must know- why Feb 2nd? I love traditions,I think stuff like this is great- so glad you enjoyed it

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Lunch out with friends - I ordered a veggie specialty pizza that came with spinach, mushrooms, asparagus, tomatoes and seasoning. I'll probably just have a bowl of soup for dinner since I'm still filled up from lunch.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Last night, we did burgers on the grill. Yum! I doctored a can of Bush beans to go with and that was dinner.
Tonight will be beef stew. I brought up a nice chuck roast from the freezer, and gave Rick a choice between beef stew and pot roast. He chose stew, so that's on the menu tonight.