What's For Dinner? - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The ravioli lasagna turned out well despite two different ravioli shapes. Next time I might use cheese and spinach ravioli instead of plain cheese, just to add some veggies. I used a slow cooker liner this time and it made clean up so easy. Somehow a bit of water got under the liner but that's way better than crusted on sauce and pasta.

View attachment 409195
That looks yummy, so I've book marked the recipe, to maybe make sometime.

I've made a slow cooker vegetarian lasagna that uses regular lasagna noodles, and since there's a lot of liquid, and it's slow cooked, you don't have to pre-boil the noodles. Here's the recipe, with pics, if anyone is interested. Recipes - Main Dishes And Entrees - Vegetarian/vegan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Pot roast with tomato gravy in the crock pot for tonight. Rice pudding for a bit of dessert.

C catapault What a neat idea! I have a tray (I think Mom got it from Pampered Chef or maybe Tupperware?) with sections for various nibbles. I use it for Rick and me when we're doing a movie night in the WeShed. I keep little plates and such in the WeShed, so they're there for us as well as a small tub to carry everything back to the kitchen for the dishwasher.

This also works well for pizza night out on the grill. I can carry one item full of pizza toppings and we can put our own toppings on each pizza.

PTray.jpg

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I used a slow cooker liner this time and it made clean up so easy.
Now that's a great idea! The next time I go to the store I'm going to look for slow cooker liners. Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

Veggie chili leftovers tonight with cornbread. I still have a lot of chili from the other night so we'll be eating leftovers for awhile.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you guys make boxed Mac & Cheese, how long does it take you to boil the water? Do you put a cover on it? I didn't and it took 6 or 7 minutes to boil on High. That seems kinda long. Then when you turn the heat back and cook for 10 minutes, do you put it on Medium? I made this Annie's Vegan Pumpkin Sweet Potato Mac & Cheese for lunch. I didn't really care for it. It wasn't very sweet. I don't think I like special mac & cheese, I think I'll just stick with Kraft from now on!
1643577756225.png

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now that's a great idea! The next time I go to the store I'm going to look for slow cooker liners. Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

I bought these:

It comes in a smaller size for 1 to 3 quart slow cookers. You'll find it with the plastic food storage bags and plastic wrap and foil and such.

When you guys make boxed Mac & Cheese, how long does it take you to boil the water? Do you put a cover on it? I didn't and it took 6 or 7 minutes to boil on High. That seems kinda long.

The lid will trap heat and help the water boil faster. Electric stoves take longer to reach temperature than a gas stove so water may take longer to boil.

Then when you turn the heat back and cook for 10 minutes, do you put it on Medium?
Cooking the pasta? Dump it into the boiling water and stir. Adjust the heat and how much depends on your stove. You don't want a simmer but you don't need a full roiling boil either.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you guys make boxed Mac & Cheese, how long does it take you to boil the water? Do you put a cover on it? I didn't and it took 6 or 7 minutes to boil on High. That seems kinda long. Then when you turn the heat back and cook for 10 minutes, do you put it on Medium? I made this Annie's Vegan Pumpkin Sweet Potato Mac & Cheese for lunch. I didn't really care for it. It wasn't very sweet. I don't think I like special mac & cheese, I think I'll just stick with Kraft from now on!
View attachment 409327
That just looks nasty to me. Why would anybody want to eat that? You can't go wrong with Kraft although I don't like their mac & cheese either.

I went down for dinner last night and when I was ignored I came back up and had pizza. My IBS-D was acting up this morning so I did not go down for breakfast or lunch. I went down for dinner tonight and was ignored again. I went back up stairs and had frozen egg rolls dipped in sweet and sour sauce and soy sauce. It was not very good. I really wanted the cole slaw and corn fritters they were having but it was not to be. They also stoped serving cottage cheese. So in the morning all they give me is a tiny cup of oatmeal and a few grapes if they have them.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight saw the last of the meatloaf: sliced and reheated in the toaster over, served with steamed Brussels sprouts and Green Giant frozen corn with butter sauce.

So that's original meatloaf, crumbled meatloaf spaghetti sauce, crumbled meatloaf shepherd's pie, reheated meatloaf. All good, shepherd's pie best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Instead of pot roast, I did the beef in the crock pot with a packet of Lipton herb mix and some tomato puree from the freezer. Made a tomato gravy, which was quite good. Mashed potatoes, green beans. The rice pudding was a fail. Oh, it was OK, I guess, just not very creamy. I got the recipe from FB and she does it in the oven. But it didn't thicken for me at all. I ended up having to pour it into a saucepan and cook it on the stove. Don't know why. Rick said it was OK, but he wouldn't be upset if I never made it again.

Tonight I'm making popovers to have with the leftover gravy. There are slices of meat left. Roasted butternut squash. I think I'll get a peach pie out of the freezer.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I went down for dinner last night and when I was ignored I came back up and had pizza. My IBS-D was acting up this morning so I did not go down for breakfast or lunch. I went down for dinner tonight and was ignored again. I went back up stairs and had frozen egg rolls dipped in sweet and sour sauce and soy sauce. It was not very good. I really wanted the cole slaw and corn fritters they were having but it was not to be. They also stoped serving cottage cheese. So in the morning all they give me is a tiny cup of oatmeal and a few grapes if they have them.
I do not understand how you were ignored. You were seated at a table--correct? The server ignored you? Is there a hostess? Someone in charge? did you say anything?

Does not sound right to me... Not saying you are overstating facts, but..... how can they ignore you? Sometimes you have to be persistent.. and not wait until they come up to you.

Did you ask why they are not serving cottage cheese? A lot of substitutions are based on the fact that the food suppliers are not fulfilling the orders.. I am on the Food Committee, in my building..

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We pulled up the last of our turnips, diced the roots to roast alongside some homegrown carrots, and boiled the greens. Also had a beef brisket. While that finished cooking, DH came home with a dozen assorted Krispy Kremes someone gave him at work.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not understand how you were ignored. You were seated at a table--correct? The server ignored you? Is there a hostess? Someone in charge? did you say anything?

I was sitting at a table and the two servers were asking people if they wanted fish or chicken. One of them asked me which one I wanted and I said I just wanted the sides. He did not reply, he just went to the next table. I thought he would tell someone in the kitchen what I wanted but apparently he did not.
I sat there until every one else was served and they started giving out the desert so I gave up and left. I have been ingored many times. I have complained in the past but nothing ever changes. It happens mostly on the dinner shift.

Does not sound right to me... Not saying you are overstating facts, but..... how can they ignore you? Sometimes you have to be persistent.. and not wait until they come up to you.

I'm sorry if it does not sound right to you. The servers ingore me by refusing to take notice of or acknowled me. Two different servers did apologize this morning for what happened last night. They said that they have complained about the servers but nothing changes. Most of the servers are good and are very nice. A new chef has recently taken over the kitchen and they are having trouble getting help. There is a lot of unrest going on here since a new company took over last year.

Did you ask why they are not serving cottage cheese? A lot of substitutions are based on the fact that the food suppliers are not fulfilling the orders.. I am on the Food Committee, in my building..
I asked 3 different servers about the cottage cheese and got 3 different answers. They did have it this morning so I guess they had a hard time trying to get it. I heard they was a shortage with dairy products.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.