What's For Dinner? - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I made a cornbread recipe from my daughter's neighbor to go with a large pot of veggie chili for tonight's dinner.
Try making the cornbread in a waffle iron. Plop on a plate, butter, then ladle the chili over it. FLIPPIN YUM!

Lunch was...um...one of my dad-burned frozen meals, and monumentally non-memorable. Supper will be another.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds delicious! I'm going to have extra cabbage (it's napa - does the type of cabbage matter?) and bacon, so I may need to try this. Do you have a good recipe somewhere?
Lari Lari I didn't use a recipe. I just chunked up 6 slices of bacon and sauteed that. Kept the bacon fat to brown the chopped onions (one large onion) and a couple smashed garlic cloves well. Then added the chopped cabbage, about one good, thick slice of cabbage that I chopped up. You want the cabbage to go to the crisp, tender stage. Test til it's done to your liking. While that's cooking, cook about 6 ounces or so of just regular noodles. Drain the noodles well and add them to the cabbage in the frying pan. Combine really well. I just used green cabbage, but you can try it with napa, I'd think. I didn't have a recipe, but here is one: Haluski (Fried Cabbage and Noodles) - A Family Feast® People use gnocchi or small rivel-type dumplings in place of the noodles. Kielbasa would work instead of the bacon. Or even small chunks of ham. It really is good. (If you don't want to use the bacon fat, you can always melt butter instead.)

We're having hot crab dip with vegetables (celery, carrots, pepper sticks, some broccoli) and crackers tonight as our supper while watching movies. An assortment of sliced cheese, some ring bologna. I'm going to make pita chips in the NFG.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
left over beef chow fun from brunch( beef already dicarded and removed) :biggrin:

Yum :yummy: Will you and GF be celebrating Asian New Year next week?

The slow cooker ravioli lasagna is cooking. I accidentally bought two different cheese raviolis, the regular square ones and mini round ones :doh: The bags are identical with only teeny print indicating the mini round ones. It shouldn't make any difference but we'll see in 8 hours :crossfingers:

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yum :yummy: Will you and GF be celebrating Asian New Year next week?
not sure my dad said theres no family stuff planned but then again its the women in my family that really run things in regards to family stuff:lol:us men just do as were told better that way.(like gimmie a time and place list of stuff to buy)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't normally, but I wonder if it's something with it being chickpea pasta, like how you're supposed to rinse rice.
You could probably leave the heat on low while mixing in the milk and butter. Usually the heat of the pot is enough to melt the butter.
Hope your burn aren't too bad!
Yeah, maybe cause it's chickpea. Yes, definitely have to leave the burner on or it gets cold!

I don't, but I only make the boxed Kraft Dinner, which is regular pasta. Possibly the chickpea kind requires rinsing.
My mom made it once and didn't rinse. It tasted terrible. Mine tasted much better. It was just cold. So yeah, maybe it needs rinsing.

I leave the burner on low, and just stir till it's mixed. Though I will gently stir
Okay, thanks. So 5 minutes or less is okay?

What type of strainer do you have?
It doesn't have much legs or handle. Can you hold onto that one with the long handle and not set it in the sink while straining?

or a one day snow storm :runaround::rolleyes3: Among other things, I bought ingredients for tomorrow's dinner Recipe: Slow Cooker Ravioli Lasagna
I love Ravioli & Lasagna! I hope that snow storm isn't going to be bad here in NY.

We're having hot crab dip with vegetables (celery, carrots, pepper sticks, some broccoli) and crackers tonight as our supper while watching movies. An assortment of sliced cheese, some ring bologna. I'm going to make pita chips in the NFG.
Your snack plates sound so much better than mine!

Last night for dinner I had: Cheese Omelet on Dad's Homemade Bread Toasted, 1TB Sriracha Sauce, 2TB Hot Salsa.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lari Lari I didn't use a recipe. I just chunked up 6 slices of bacon and sauteed that. Kept the bacon fat to brown the chopped onions (one large onion) and a couple smashed garlic cloves well. Then added the chopped cabbage, about one good, thick slice of cabbage that I chopped up. You want the cabbage to go to the crisp, tender stage. Test til it's done to your liking. While that's cooking, cook about 6 ounces or so of just regular noodles. Drain the noodles well and add them to the cabbage in the frying pan. Combine really well. I just used green cabbage, but you can try it with napa, I'd think. I didn't have a recipe, but here is one: Haluski (Fried Cabbage and Noodles) - A Family Feast® People use gnocchi or small rivel-type dumplings in place of the noodles. Kielbasa would work instead of the bacon. Or even small chunks of ham. It really is good. (If you don't want to use the bacon fat, you can always melt butter instead.)
Thanks! We have most of the stuff already. Can't have butter yet, so bacon drippings would be fine. I should have gotten some egg noodles at the grocery store, but we have regular pastas.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you hold onto that one with the long handle and not set it in the sink while straining?
I have one that actually extends to fit entirely over my sink. I LOVE IT! You don't have anything down IN the sink, and you don't have to hold the colander with one hand while pouring the pot with another.
1643473997556.png

I have no idea about dinner. LUNCH is still 12 hours away, and dinner about 17 hours away.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last night was soup from the freezer. Maybe the same tonight.

Can you hold onto that one with the long handle and not set it in the sink while straining?
Yes. But you still have to be careful, as steam will sometimes still feel hot.

I have one that actually extends to fit entirely over my sink. I LOVE IT! You don't have anything down IN the sink, and you don't have to hold the colander with one hand while pouring the pot with another.
Ohhh... that would solve M maggiedemi 's issue. As long as the arms extend far enough. I may have to look into getting one for myself.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried a chicken recipe from the American Heart Association Cookbook.....Blah.....
It was Chicken with Onions, carrots, potatoes... scallions, parsley...dry sherry in broth....

Too bland.. It needed oomph! and the chicken did not brown... not appetizing.. and for me, too many onions, not enough carrots...and nothing was roasted to add flavor...
Got the chicken from Trader Joes---tasted old... No more chicken from TJ's....

I jotted down some recommendations on the recipe---if I every use it again..

The sauce was not bad... it really wasn't.... I have tons leftover.. I can add more chicken broth, to the sauce, to thin it out, when reheated..
The chicken---I am afraid, has nothing I can do with it.. except reheat, with leftover veggies, and use it for chicken salad

I hate when a recipe does not come out; after all the prep and cooking...

Nothing else to do today--- watch the blizzard.. so far, no power outages... Cannot see see the ocean, sand or sea wall... a White OUT, right now...Cannot see the ice cream shop, 3 doors down...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm thinking of having soup with the cornbread I made yesterday. It's still fresh and since we've been having cold temps it will taste great warmed up with a little butter. We picked up some new honeycrisp apples today so that will be dessert.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The ravioli lasagna turned out well despite two different ravioli shapes. Next time I might use cheese and spinach ravioli instead of plain cheese, just to add some veggies. I used a slow cooker liner this time and it made clean up so easy. Somehow a bit of water got under the liner but that's way better than crusted on sauce and pasta.

20220129_161021[1].jpg

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need one of those! Thanks so much for telling me about it. :)

I hate when a recipe does not come out; after all the prep and cooking...
Story of my life pretty much every meal! :lol: I hear we are going to get the storm in NY too, but I hope somehow we don't!

Lunch: Oatmeal, Dried Cranberries, Walnuts, Pecans, Sliced Almonds, 2TB Maple Syrup, 1/4 Cup Sweetened Coconut Milk. Yummy! I hardly ever eat oatmeal, but I guess I like it now!

Dinner: Same Chickpea Mac & Cheese as last night, but this one was orange cheddar. I didn't like it at all. The white cheddar one was better. Added salt, pepper, sriracha sauce.
1643506008249.png

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very good! leftover meatloaf shepherd's pie.
Leftover Meatloaf Shepherd's Pie_2022-01.jpg
But it does take some effort.​

As you can see I used two individual Pyrex casserole dishes. Crumble a slice of meatloaf for each serving. Make Herb-ox bouillon and simmer a sliced carrot. When carrot about done add some frozen whole little pearl onions. Ladle carrot and onion on top of crumbled meatloaf. Microwave some frozen green peas, a little shorter time than called for. Ladle on top of everything already in the dishes.

Next, since I didn't feel like boiling then mashing potatoes I reconstitute dried potato flakes - water, a little butter, pinch of salt, some milk. Set aside.

With bouillon used for carrots and onions - add a little ketchup, some mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix a half Tablespoon of cornstarch with cold water. Add to bouillon etc. Mix well, portion over casseroles.

Top with potato, spreading to cover. Top with some shredded cheese. Into toaster oven at 375 degrees F. for about 30 minutes, turn from bake to broil for an additional 5 minutes to lightly brown.

Serve, and enjoy!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Lunch: Oatmeal, Dried Cranberries, Walnuts, Pecans, Sliced Almonds, 2TB Maple Syrup, 1/4 Cup Sweetened Coconut Milk. Yummy! I hardly ever eat oatmeal, but I guess I like it now!
Yay! :cheerleader: I love oatmeal and have it every morning for breakfast. Your version sounds delicious. I have mine with ceylon cinnamon, blueberries, ground golden flaxseed and almond milk.

Status
Not open for further replies.