What's For Dinner? - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I grilled up some chicken thighs that I marinated with a copious blend of herbs grown in my garden, plus a little salt and olive oil. Very simple, but so tasty.

As a side, I make Rotkohl (aka German-style sweet and sour red cabbage). I sliced the red cabbage thinly, then slowly braised them in a large copper pan with olive oil, homemade vinegar, just enough sugar to subtly sweeten, salt, and flavored with a hint of freshly ground juniper berries, allspice, and nutmeg.

Also made herbed mashed potatoes.

Sort of an old-fashioned continental meal, but pretty tasty. Especially as I'm still "living off" what I've got on hand. I generally love to market--the one sort of "shopping I do generally enjoy--but I've felt lazy in the heat, and temps are predicted to increase.

Bill

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And it is now 108.

A funny thing, Desmond--being a true descendent of wild desert animals--chose to go lay out in the heat (granted he had cool concrete to stretch out on) in our catio/breezeway for an hour or so. But even he gave up and came into the cooler air-conditioned house.

No real "cooking" is happening here today. I'm stuffing whatever leftovers I have into warm tortillas, douse with salsa and calling it "tacos."

Bill

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
115° here.

There’s an updraft from the pavement.
Oh dear. I've got it good.

I'm surprised the sidewalk isn't melting.

I'm one of those people who likes his steaks cooked to 115. Perhaps an iron skillet left on the sidewalk would get well above that?

At least I have an excuse for being lazy today. LOL

Bill

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He goes for his infusion treatment tomorrow...yay!I Dinner tonight was grilled polish sausage,fingerling potatoes and green beans.My neighbor asked if I ever made the butterscotch brownies with chocolate chips...nope...never have til today.So I made a big batch and sent half up to her and put the rest in the freezer.She offered to pay for them...of course not!

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our "tacos" consisted of some grilled chicken thighs (left over from last night), some rotkohl (also left over from last night), a bit of canned chili, shredded romaine, a piece of Danmuji (Korean Pickled Daikon Radish) and a healthy amount of pico de gallo in hot corn tortillas.

Sounds like a weird combo, even to my ears, but the flavor and textures really came together. LA fusion tacos.

Bill

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Remember yesterday when I said I took chicken out of the freezer to thaw? Well, Rick suggested tuna and noodles instead. We just had tuna and noodles, not that long ago. His response? "So? I like tuna and noodles." OK. Put the still-frozen chicken back in the freezer and we had tuna and noodles last night.

This morning, while I was back in the freezer, Rick hollered down, "Not chicken!" I took two pork chops out of the freezer and will do them in the NFG, along with the baked potatoes that we didn't have last night.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight, is a turkey sub on the menu; or pastrami-- too much sodium for me...
I think I will hollow out part of the roll--- it is too bready.

Last night was gross. I did not feel like a salad. Poor choice on my part. I should have made one. I got a yucky turkey sandwich from the store.. gross... It did not fill me, or satisfy me.. It was a ton of junk food..

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
He goes for his infusion treatment tomorrow.
Fingers crossed it goes well and helps him to feel better. :crossfingers: :crossfingers:

I spent the day in the city yesterday so by the time I got home I wasn't too hungry - made half a sandwich with red grapes for dessert.
DH asked for individual pizzas tonight so that's what I'm making. It's become our summer go to meal. I think we'll finish up the Planet Oat coffee fudge swirl ice cream since it should go well after pizza.

That stuff is so addicting! I bought a couple bags in the individual servings. What I want to know is: Who decided on the serving size?? Not enough!! ugh...I need a 12 step plan to get away from them.....:hyper::flail:
I looked at my bag of TJ's trail mix today and decided to throw the rest out. Granted there wasn't much left but knowing it's in the house makes me want to eat it. 😉

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
going to japanese market once gf gets home to get supplies to make an easy tasty dinner
I just went to the Asian market yesterday. It’s the only place I’ve found Red Fresno peppers. I also picked up a Japanese eggplant (skinny eggplant), a Ha Mi melon, and some seaweed salad, among other odds & ends.

The market I go to has live tanks with lobster, crab, clams, and large shrimp. I’ve been tempted on occasion, but haven’t researched on the best method for cooking them.

Today is FVP for me, so It’ll be salad again, sans shrimp. Also, black beans & corn with a bit of salsa.

Last edited:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking of blueberries.....!Thinking about them yesterday made me realize we haven't had pancakes in awhile,so blueberry pancakes it was.I was going to grill a small piece of ham to have with and he said no,so...okay with me.So far so good with the infusion.He's really tired tonight...already in bed,so we'll see what tomorrow brings.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Fruits
Veggies
Protein (simple, dairy or plant based, no meat)
No breads/grains/cereal, sugars, or salt

I eat about 4 oz portions five times throughput the day (3-4 hrs apart): alternating portions of each, though I try to include protein throughout. One of the meals can be a large salad if hunger gets intense.

It’s something my trainer worked out to be used as an occasional cleanse or as a low calorie day for weight loss. Only to be used as a one day thing, not back to back. Eat as normal the rest of the time. Since I’m focused on weight loss at the moment, I’m doing two FVP’s each week. Exercise is, of course, part of the program as well. 😊

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.