What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will not block you... I feel so bad about your circumstances. I really do... When I had all my GI issues, my GI doc told me to go on a FODmap diet.. It is very hard to adhere to.. Being a vegetarian, I would to know whet to begin to advise you about it... What about a real dietician? One from the hospital, and not the place where you are living?
I also take a probiotic twice a day.. I think I had an overgrowth of bacteria in my bowels.. I was on a specific antibiotic for it.. This helped the 'D" dramatically, and the FodMap diet allowed 0my GI system to rest.. also no eggs, dairy, nuts, wheat, soy, fish..... I ate tuna once a week during Lent.

The denser cheeses, like parmesan and cheddar, do not have much lactose in them..

I know how horrible this food can be... I am living in an independent senior housing where the food program is mandatory!! and it is the worst quality of food there is.. the lowest quality and cooked inadequately...It is really inedible.. I cannot even force myself to eat any of it.. The chicken breast come with FEATHERS! They do not care... I almost feel like deducting the cost of the meal, each time I have to throw it away because it is inedible. I have complained and complained.. They just placate you by 'yessing' you to death; but do not do anything to fix the problem... So disgusted with the food...

Playing devil's advocate: Your family is probably thinking that you chose to be vegetarian, you can just as easily choose to not be vegetarian...
Right now, I would love to find some type of Protein shake, like Ensure, which is made without lactose, high fructose corn strip and without pea protein...
I cannot eat any of those items..
I have intolerance to both lactose and fructose... and I know, from experience, that I cannot have peas, pea protein, cabbage, brussels sprouts, etc....t
I don't know what a FodMap diet is. I will have to look it up. I took a good brand of probiotic my brother got for me from Amazon for years but it did not help. Do you know the name of the antibiotic you took? When I was in the hospital last year they gave me a very high dose of antibiotics because I had a infection in my stomach. They finally cleared the infection up but it did not help the "D". I almost died.

I remember when you posted about the chicken feathers. That was so disgusting. Do you have to pay them a monthly fee for your food?

Peas, cabbage, brussel sprouts, lentils, beans, etc. also give me "D". The opioid they give me for pain helps control the "D" but I can't take that forever.

My family thinks that drinking the protein shakes solves my protein problem. They are nasty, expensive, high in calories and only has 16 grams of protein per bottle. As much as I am paying to live here I should not have to pay for my own nutrition. I have been a vegetarian for 62 years and I will never go back to eating meat. My family knows that.

For dinner I am having honey glazed carrots, roll and potatoes and a chocolate chip cookies.

Last edited by a moderator:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what a FodMap diet is. I will have to look it up. I took a good brand of probiotic my brother got for me from Amazon for years but it did not help. Do you know the name of the antibiotic you took? When I was in the hospital last year they gave me a very high dose of antibiotics because I had a infection in my stomach. They finally cleared the infection up but it did not help the "D". I almost died.

I remember when you posted about the chicken feathers. That was so disgusting. Do you have to pay them a monthly fee for your food?

Peas, cabbage, brussel sprouts, lentils, beans, etc. also give me "D". The opioid they give me for pain helps control the "D" but I can't take that forever.

My family thinks that drinking the protein shakes solves my protein problem. They are nasty, expensive, high in calories and only has 16 grams of protein per bottle. As much as I am paying to live here I should not have to pay for my own nutrition. I have been a vegetarian for 62 years and I will never go back to eating meat. My family knows that.

For dinner I am having honey glazed carrots, roll and potatoes and a chocolate chip cookies.
Yes, We do have to pay for the meals. It is in the lease.. dam..

Sorry, I do not remember the antibiotic I took. I threw the bottle away, after I finished it.
I had an overgrowth of Bacteria, because I had a really bad case of Bronchitis/pneumonia, and was on a couple of antibiotics plus a steroid. At least that is the theory.. and I have microscopic colitis. It was my GI doctor which prescribed it.
I also take a probiotic, twice daily: PB8. You can get it at Amazon and at Whole Foods.

The Fodmap diet is very intense. I do not know how, as a vegetarian, you would be able to follow it, without a dietician's help....
I followed it and had to add several other foods to the NO list.
Lactose and Fructose intolerant. No honey--pure fructose, Used real Maple Syrup instead for sweetener. No pitted fruits.. stayed with oranges, grapes, blueberries, strawberries..
No protein shakes~~ full of lactose and fructose...No orange, apple or grape juice, no jam.. no mayo--I have vegan mayo.. no eggs, for ME..
Plain meat.. baked potatoes.. vegan butter--no dairy..veggies were: green beans, carrots, some corn-limited to what you can tolerate..
Potato chips.. baked potatoes... rice... no brown rice... The list is exhausting.
I downloaded an app, to help me.. Monash Fodmap App..

I was on it for a good 10 months.. now, I am still on my own version of it. I have learned..
It gives your bowels a chance to rest... some people have to be on it for a very long time.. depends on your condition..

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister makes honey glazed carrots all the time. They are so good!
Yes, they are good but I'm not really a fan of honey.
Welcome to the forum. I hope you stay around.

ARTIEMOM: Thanks for your reply. No wonder you get so mad when they don't listen when you complain about their food. Sounds like your food is worst than mine.

I'll ask my doctor about the FodMap diet. It sounds like something I need to do. I'm not even sure if I have IBS. I could be like you and have colitis.
He wants me to have a CT scan and have some blood work done.
I already use vegan mayo and butter. I am going to try vegan cheese. If it is good then I will be vegan again.

Tomorrow they are having ham, baked sweet potatoes, baked white potatoes, green bean casserole, dinner roll and ice cream for their Easter dinner. I am not going down for dinner. They add bacon to their g b casserole and I don't want two kinds of baked potatoes and a dinner roll for dinner. It is nothing but carbs. I'll have some Naan bread with melted
cheese and some of Amy's tomato soup.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well...got my strawberry jello cake baked and my hot cross buns done before the oven shot craps...sometimes I feel like I cannot win!I suspect the thermostat but we'll see come Monday.Dinner was supposed to be a french meatball casserole.Yes,well...it's in the fridge.So,dinner was a ham and cheese sandwich,some sliced cucumbers and I had a warm hot cross bun with butter,and so did he,no icing cross necessary.They're so good!

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leftover spaghetti so, yes, game misconduct game misconduct , I ate my dinner. LOL. I can't find your reply from Sunday. I got the email notification, though. My dietary doctor says that I need to eat three meals a day. I don't like to eat breakfast, though.
aww :lol:i can cook up tasty breakfasts that wake you up from the smell

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So...oven is still out but there's a thermostat on order.Sunday we had a grilled ham steak,microwaved sweet potatoes and steamed asparagus.Monday we had cheese and green onion omelettes and warmed hot cross buns,Tuesday we had soft tacos,last night I fixed pork chops with onion gravy,new potatoes and spinach and tonight I think we're just going to have leftovers.I was hoping the repairman would call today.......

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Leftover spaghetti so, yes, game misconduct game misconduct , I ate my dinner. LOL. I can't find your reply from Sunday. I got the email notification, though. My dietary doctor says that I need to eat three meals a day. I don't like to eat breakfast, though.
It doesn’t need to be a traditional breakfast. A handful of nuts and piece of fruit, or a protein smoothie counts as breakfast. Go with some protein and just a few carbs and you might not mind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.