What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi - they're similar to barbecue flavor, but I think there's a few more flavors mixed in. Apparently they're popular in Canada. We bought them on a whim when we saw them once, and I hadn't seen them in months so when I did, I had to grab them.

Friday during Lent, so I made seafood - this veggie and scallop sauté. Except the onion I had was older than I thought and had gone bad, so it was made without onion.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I didn't get my hot dogs with cheese and onions, nor will I get them tonight. My schedule has gone nuts, and I don't trust myself with a sharp knife to dice onions on so little sleep...SO...ramen noodles in the microwave. I'll try those hot dogs tomorrow night, when (hopefully) I'll have had more than 3 hours or so of sleep!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they're similar to barbecue flavor, but I think there's a few more flavors mixed in.
I think it's supposed to be every flavor mixed together, but, yeah, barbeque really sticks out the most. They also taste similar to ketchup chips. (Oh here, I found this, I guess not EVERY flavor: "The original recipe combined the flavours of salt and vinegar, sour cream and onion, barbecue, and ketchup.")

They're good! They're Canadian but I can sometimes find them in Sioux Falls. Mostly at gas stations, not regular stores, though.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I knew Ketchup chips were only in Canada, but didn't realize All Dressed chips were too. There's 2 brands that make them - Old Dutch and Ruffles. I prefer Ruffles. :yummy:

Here's how they're described on their website.

1616842353106.png

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're good! They're Canadian but I can sometimes find them in Sioux Falls. Mostly at gas stations, not regular stores, though.
I used to get Nongshim onion rings as well as ketchup potato chips whenever I went to Niagara Falls. Nongshim are like Funyuns except much better. You can't get them in US stores. I love the ketchup potato chips but I've only seen them in Canada. I never tried the All Dressed chips.

Last night I had black beans enchiladas and a side salad.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew Ketchup chips were only in Canada, but didn't realize All Dressed chips were too. There's 2 brands that make them - Old Dutch and Ruffles. I prefer Ruffles. :yummy:

Here's how they're described on their website.

View attachment 374873
The first time we saw them, they were Ruffles. The past ones I got were Signature Select, the generic brand at Jewel. I think it's new amd they're trying to expand chip flavors, because I saw barbecue rib flavored chips as well, and I never had before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I took two boneless, skinless chicken breasts out of the freezer yesterday to thaw in the fridge. Maple chicken tonight in the FG with roasted butternut squash and green beans and, hopefully, vanilla pudding for dessert. Need to check to see how much milk we have. Probably should have gotten a half-gallon out of the freezer yesterday when I got the chicken.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles posted in the Positive thread about Dave's Killer bread. She described making
a fried egg with the bread and others also raved about it, so my helper bought a loaf of the 21 grains
and seeds, thin-sliced. It is possibly the best bread I've ever had. I only had it with butter, not toasted
and I was in bread heaven There is a story (true) about how this amazing bread came to be. It's pricey
but so worth it.

I had 2 pieces of DKB for brekkie, and strawberry yogurt

My dinner will be something using this bread, maybe Gruyere cheese, not sure yet.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never heard of Dave's Killer Bread before, and figured, as so often happens, that it would not be available in Canada. But it is. :yess:

However, the online price for the Dave's Killer Bread Thin-Sliced 21 Whole Grains and Seeds Organic Bread is $6.29. :eek2:
Might be cheaper in store, but that is definitely pricey. How much is it in the US?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never heard of Dave's Killer Bread before, and figured, as so often happens, that it would not be available in Canada. But it is. :yess:

However, the online price for the Dave's Killer Bread Thin-Sliced 21 Whole Grains and Seeds Organic Bread is $6.29. :eek2:
Might be cheaper in store, but that is definitely pricey. How much is it in the US?
I just checked Giant Eagle and it is $5.99. I think Giant Eagle is a little higher then other stores so it may be closer to $5 some other places. Giant Eagle is the easiest one to check their website for prices on everything they sell. That is probably where some of the extra they charge goes, a fancy website. That is more then I am willing to pay for packaged bread. I might pay that much for a really good artisan loaf at a bakery but not packaged bread.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
About 5 dollars.
I just checked Giant Eagle and it is $5.99. I think Giant Eagle is a little higher then other stores so it may be closer to $5 some other places.
So 6-something isn't way more than the US prices. Still a lot more than I'd normally pay for a loaf of bread,. but maybe I'll try it someday. Or maybe, better still, it'll go on sale sometime.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to pay around $5.50. for Dave's Killer Bread when I lived in Md. My B/L delivered bread for them and sometimes he would give me some for free. It's good bread and I would not buy anything else. It's organic and each slice has 5 grams of protein and it is Bobby approved.

Could someone please delete the first post that I screwed up.

Last edited:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So 6-something isn't way more than the US prices. Still a lot more than I'd normally pay for a loaf of bread,. but maybe I'll try it someday. Or maybe, better still, it'll go on sale sometime.
It may be a difference in the dollar, too. I remember when I'd buy books as a kid they'd have the US and Canadian prices on the back, and the Canadian one was always higher.

I finished my last yogurt from that massive load I'd bought, so I guess it's time to go officially dairy free, because just cutting back and cutting out straight milk hasn't really made a difference. I bought myself some dairy free cheese, butter, and blue cheese dressing. My white chocolate bunnies for Easter will be saved until either 1) we don't see any differences and learn dairy is not what J is allergic to 2) she outgrows the allergy, which usually happens or 3) I finish breastfeeding. Not sure if I also need to cut out things that "may contain" milk, assuming due to cross contamination. And I also read about 50% of babies with milk allergies also have soy allergies, which would really make things hard. So I'm hoping this alone will make a difference.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
combined the flavours of salt and vinegar, sour cream and onion, barbecue, and ketchup.
That sounds good! I prefer corn/tortilla chips over potato chips though.

How much is it in the US?
It's $5 here. Too expensive for me, but maybe it will go on sale someday.

I bought myself some dairy free cheese, butter, and blue cheese dressing.
Is it vegan cheese? What is it made of, soy?

Breakfast: Aldi knockoff of Golden Grahams cereal, 2 diced Turkish figs, half a diced Anjou pear, 1/3 cup whole milk.

Lunch: Snack plate- Great Value Burnin hot chips, Aldi horseradish cheddar kettle chips, the other half of that diced Anjou pear, aged Gouda cheese, ketchup, mustard, salsa, el yucateco black habanero hot sauce.

Dinner: Leftover veggie pasta alfredo. I put some crushed Great Value burnin hot chips on top and baked in toaster oven. I probably should have put butter or oil on them cause they burnt. El yucateco black habanero hot sauce on top.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A good bakery might have bread similar to Dave's Killer Bread :think:

I made a one pot pasta: One-Pot Spaghetti with Meat and Mushroom Ragu I made minor substitutions based on what I had on hand: ground Italian sausage meat for the ground beef and rotini pasta instead of spaghetti. I also added in two Fresno peppers for a spicy kick. The dish needed a little more than the 2 cups of water for the rotini to fully cook. I'm sure the recipe can be made vegetarian with plant based "meat" and vegetarian-friendly marinara sauce. The cheese is just a topper on the finished dish and can be omitted.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I used to pay around $5.50. for Dave's Killer Bread when I lived in Md. My B/L delivered bread for them and sometimes he would give me some for free. It's good bread and I would not buy anything else. It's organic and each slice has 5 grams of protein and it is Bobby approved.
Your price is similar to everywhere else, including here in Canada. The bread sounds really healthy, and 5 grams of protein per slice is good for us vegetarians. :thumbsup:

It may be a difference in the dollar, too. I remember when I'd buy books as a kid they'd have the US and Canadian prices on the back, and the Canadian one was always higher.
I hated that we had to pay the higher price for books! As for the bread, it's actually baked here in Canada, not imported, so the dollar exchange shouldn't apply. But who knows. :dunno:

It's $5 here. Too expensive for me, but maybe it will go on sale someday.
Keep watching sales, it might go on sale for you sometime. :crossfingers:

A good bakery might have bread similar to Dave's Killer Bread :think:
You're probably right. But even though I never heard of it until today, I really, really want to try the authentic Dave's Killer Bread. :lol:

Back on topic, I haven't really been cooking much lately. Even tonight I just had Gardein Crispy Tenders on a bun with mayo and tomato, plus a few fries.

But I bought mushrooms, and green pepper and Naan bread, so I plan to make pizzas, mushroom fried rice, and rice and beans over the next few days.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it vegan cheese? What is it made of, soy?
It's soy free too. It's this dressing from daiya. I assume it's vegan, and I hope it tastes like blue cheese.

We're getting Steak N Shake. Of course, I can't get a milkshake, or even my normal Steakburger. Having some chicken fingers and fries. This is already depressing. But I'm going to do my best for a month to see if I see improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.