What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last night I had spaghetti and garlic toast. Not sure about tonight, as usual.

And a fortune cookie.
What did your fortune say?

but they don't always have any vegetarian, diabetic or low salt food on the menu.
That's really awful. I mean, even as a vegetarian, I get that not eating meat is a personal choice, not that it's an excuse to not have vegetarian foods available. But not to have diabetic or low salt choices either! They really don't care about their residents' health, at all, do they. :(

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's really awful. I mean, even as a vegetarian, I get that not eating meat is a personal choice, not that it's an excuse to not have vegetarian foods available. But not to have diabetic or low salt choices either! They really don't care about their residents' health, at all, do they. :(
[/QUOTE]
No, they don't care about the residents. They just care about their profits. What really gets me mad is the way they treat the diabetic residents. I heard the head nurse say that they don't have to eat everything on their plate. If they get sick it is their own fault. Most of these people have dementia and don't know what they should be eating. They serve a lot of carbs because they are cheap. Of course they are going to eat what they are served.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a big lunch - my BIL made chili for the big, depressing game, and one was a white vegan chili J and I could eat. So we just had a honeycrisp apple with peanut butter for dessert.

Tbh, I don't get the hype with honeycrisp. They were on a ridiculously good sale and J's never had that kind of apple before, but I'd prefer a gala or golden delicious any day.

I also had some Halloween candy because I made baggies for tomorrow.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think Honeycrisp are worth the extra they charge for them. I always fall for the newest apple variety and try it though. I paid a high price for Envy apples awhile back, they were okay but nothing really special. I think I expect more from the newest variety because of the hype and the extra I pay for them and I am then disappointed.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like Honeycrisp enough to pay that much either. I usually get Fuji, but Gala and Braeburn are acceptable too. I can't stand a mushy or mealy apple. I got a different kind of apple last time I went shopping because it was on sale, and I'm pleasantly surprised. It's very nice. I think it was Envy but I threw away the bag so I'm not positive. But they're very crisp and have a nice flavor. I won't pay extra for them though.

I went to a local restaurant tonight and had sliders. They were good. The restaurant was packed and nobody had a mask, not even the staff. Oh well. If you hear about an outbreak around here. . .

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I normally don't pay the extra for Honeycrisp, but with the coupon on my Jewel app plus the sale, they were only $.79/lb, so I grabbed four. I feel like we only got Red Delicious growing up with an occasional Granny Smith, and I didn't try other kinds of apples until I was an adult, so I figured I'd let J explore at an earlier age.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last night was a green pepper and onion pizza from Pizza Hut. Lunch was beef with rice and peppers. Not sure about dinner...that's a few hours off yet. We ordered enough food for most of the days that strider rose strider rose will be here, so there's a LOT to choose from!

Tomorrow night, I'll make roast beef, mashed potatoes, and we're trying the new crispy, oven-fried green beans to go with them. They sound kinda yummy, and a healthy alternative to french fries for the future!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always fall for the newest apple variety and try it though.

I tried Lemonade apples before the independent grocery store closed. They were ok. Crunchy and sweet and juicy. Honestly couldn't tell any flavor difference between it and other varieties.

20210717_152145[1].jpg

i feel like we only got Red Delicious growing up with an occasional Granny Smith,

I think there's just more interest in growing heirloom and long forgotten varieties. And some people are even creating new varieties.

Dinner is leftover pasta and spinach tonight.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
some people are even creating new varieties.
This came up in a recent conversation with my family----there are 7,500 varieties of apples! Of course most aren't commercially viable so we won't ever see them, but just think, theoretically you could have a different kind of apple every day for 20 years, and by then there would be more varieties to try. . .

I have a bit of a mental block about yellow apples, because Yellow Delicious are so mushy. But if the newer varieties are crisp, that would be ok. I should try some. I also find that most varieties are similar in taste, but I had a "limited edition" kind that supposedly tasted like "autumn spices", and it really did have a bit of a cinnamon taste.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was a kid we would go to a u-pick orchard in the Fall. We had a bomb shelter, a staple during that time of the Cold War which was great for storing apples. The heirloom apples were the staple varieties at that time. My father's favorite was one called Winesap. I have never seen them in a Supermarket. They are actually an ugly looking apple which was probably why they were never in the Supermarket.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not a big fan of apples. In my world only one kind exists. Granny Smith. They are perfect for everything.

I think I'm going to roast a turkey wing. The girls and I will share it. I'll have some kind of veggie with it. I have a nice head of organic cabbage. I might slice up some of it and sauté it with some olive oil, shallots, garlic and red pepper flakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.