What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think you're making it harder for yourself trying to find new recipes all the time? I've read most people rotate through the same recipes/meals most of the time. Maybe make a list of you and your husband's favourite meals, and just make them for a while. And try to make enough of freezable ones, so you have easy microwavable meals when you don't have time/feel like cooking from scratch.
:yeah: I agree. That is what I do. I have a list of about 20 recipes that I know are "fan favorites" that I rotate through and maybe add in one or two new recipes a month. I also have "standards" each week like tacos once a week, breakfast for dinner once a week, etc.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think you're making it harder for yourself trying to find new recipes all the time? I've read most people rotate through the same recipes/meals most of the time. Maybe make a list of you and your husband's favourite meals, and just make them for a while. And try to make enough of freezable ones, so you have easy microwavable meals when you don't have time/feel like cooking from scratch.
I do pick a lot of recipes from my app we've had before and I know we like in general, but then they just start looking boring and unappetizing. And there's things I really like (like butternut squash), that my husband isn't a huge fan of. Maybe I need to pick more of the ones he's not big on just for me and J and have leftovers, but right now we're in a very difficult time where she is not happy being on the other side of the baby gate while I'm cooking, so anything when my husband's not watching her has to be fast. So having meals pre-frozen would be good.

I know this stage won't last forever, but it was definitely easier when she'd be happy on her play mat while I cooked.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do pick a lot of recipes from my app we've had before and I know we like in general, but then they just start looking boring and unappetizing. And there's things I really like (like butternut squash), that my husband isn't a huge fan of. Maybe I need to pick more of the ones he's not big on just for me and J and have leftovers, but right now we're in a very difficult time where she is not happy being on the other side of the baby gate while I'm cooking, so anything when my husband's not watching her has to be fast. So having meals pre-frozen would be good.

I know this stage won't last forever, but it was definitely easier when she'd be happy on her play mat while I cooked.
You are a better wife than me (or maybe because I've been married for almost 25 years). I make what I make and the husband has learned to not grumble and eat it. He knows if he grumbles, my response will be "Then make your own dinner." :angrywoman:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom should have done that early on in the marriage. My dad is supremely picky; there are fewer than 10 things he'll eat. Not things she likes, usually. So she's always made whatever she wants to eat and something boring for him. Fortunately his food is easy: chili, spaghetti, rice with cut-up sausage/hotdogs, etc. I think I would have shown him how to use a can opener and a saucepan (no microwaves back then!) after the first week, lol.

I have frozen pizza last night. Costco brand, pepperoni. I ate 5 slices last night and had the last 3 for work lunch today.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I treated a good friend to lunch today and we both ordered breakfast food. I wasn't too hungry for dinner so had a sandwich that I usually make when I'm home for lunch plus zucchini with hummus on the side. Strawberries for dessert.

P.S. This is the friend I have mentioned sometimes in The Positive Thread whose husband has MS plus Diabetes and is wheelchair bound. They have been hit hard financially due to his health so I felt she could use a girl's day out. :rbheart:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
are you getting pt still?
Done with that, although I still do the exercises they gave me twice a day. Will be starting Chair Tai Chi next week, adjusted for those with standing and balance issues. Will get my upper body moving better, and can add lower body when I'm steadier on my feet!

cooking a pot of chili only hope the market has corn bread still when we go later :rolleyes:dinner rolls just not the sameas cornbread other wise i need to boil some taters
an

You really must learn to make corn bread, and to make it on a waffle iron! It's GREAT, only takes minutes to cook, and you can put the cornbread "waffle" on a plate, the put the chili on top of it! YUMMY!

Chicken fried rice tonight. I'm going to be ordering several of the Smart Ones dinners for next week. Do some exploring!

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Done with that, although I still do the exercises they gave me twice a day. Will be starting Chair Tai Chi next week, adjusted for those with standing and balance issues. Will get my upper body moving better, and can add lower body when I'm steadier on my feet!
not sure what side your stroke affected if any. just please remember to move slow its ok if we move slow and take longer to get any place or get stuff done as long as the stuff gets done :). the stability and endurance will gradually come back in time as you continue with what your doing now. dont take chances either i did in the begining and took a few tumbles. oh and since your doing that chair tai chi might wanna practice / try(using chair or something stable to hold your weight) getting back up off the floor with someone present while trying.being able to get yourself up comes in handy never know when you could fall

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Lari Lari You mentioned J going through a bit of separation anxiety while you were prepping meals and such. Our son went through that. I used to plop him in his high chair and keep him in the kitchen right by me while I was cooking. He had a few toys with him and he also had a bit of fresh veggie-type snacks to keep him occupied. And I'd talk, talk, talk to him. He'd always talk back and we'd have these great "conversations". He was in his chair, so he wasn't underfoot in the kitchen and I didn't have to worry about spilling things on him or anything like that. And I think he actually enjoyed it. (Your daughter's hair is gorgeous!)

Dinner tonight? I don't know. I'm considering some kind of take-out/delivery option. It's just me.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lari Lari You mentioned J going through a bit of separation anxiety while you were prepping meals and such. Our son went through that. I used to plop him in his high chair and keep him in the kitchen right by me while I was cooking. He had a few toys with him and he also had a bit of fresh veggie-type snacks to keep him occupied. And I'd talk, talk, talk to him. He'd always talk back and we'd have these great "conversations". He was in his chair, so he wasn't underfoot in the kitchen and I didn't have to worry about spilling things on him or anything like that. And I think he actually enjoyed it. (Your daughter's hair is gorgeous!)

Dinner tonight? I don't know. I'm considering some kind of take-out/delivery option. It's just me.
I could try that! I just worry she'd be sick of being in the high chair once it's time for us to eat, so I haven't done it just so she isn't in there too long. Anything is worth a try, though.

And thank you! She doesn't have really long hair like I had as a baby, which would have been fun, but I like the color it's coming in as, and in my biased opinion, she's the cutest baby ever.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lari Lari saw this and somehow thought of you: Chicken Yakisoba Is a Quick, One-Skillet Weeknight Wonder I would think any Asian type noodle would work, even Italian spaghetti and the like, if you can't find yakisoba noodles.

If you need weekly meal plan ideas, try these: Next Week S Meal Plan

I don't recall what my mom did with us when she was cooking. I know there was a baby gate in the kitchen doorway at one point. We probably just watched tv and played with toys in the living room, likely unsupervised.

Tonight... I took a frozen subscription meal out, Moroccan beef and veggies. It's just meh. I bought some rotisserie chicken leg quarters from the supermarket today so will have one tomorrow and freeze the rest. The supermarket got cheap. It used to be 6 chicken leg quarters for $5. Now it's just 4 for the same price :ohwell: Stupid pandemic and supply issues and rising food prices :angrywoman:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last night I had a toasted fried egg and cheese sandwich, and a peach for dessert. As usual, no idea about tonight.

. The supermarket got cheap. It used to be 6 chicken leg quarters for $5. Now it's just 4 for the same price :ohwell: Stupid pandemic and supply issues and rising food prices :angrywoman:
I've been reading news articles about that, and how food manufacturers are making package sizes smaller, again, while still charging the same amount. My "favourite" was how they've redesigned orange juice bottles so there's a bigger hollow bubble of space on the bottom, so you think you're getting the same amount of juice, but you're not.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lari Lari saw this and somehow thought of you: Chicken Yakisoba Is a Quick, One-Skillet Weeknight Wonder I would think any Asian type noodle would work, even Italian spaghetti and the like, if you can't find yakisoba noodles.

If you need weekly meal plan ideas, try these: Next Week S Meal Plan

I don't recall what my mom did with us when she was cooking. I know there was a baby gate in the kitchen doorway at one point. We probably just watched tv and played with toys in the living room, likely unsupervised.

Tonight... I took a frozen subscription meal out, Moroccan beef and veggies. It's just meh. I bought some rotisserie chicken leg quarters from the supermarket today so will have one tomorrow and freeze the rest. The supermarket got cheap. It used to be 6 chicken leg quarters for $5. Now it's just 4 for the same price :ohwell: Stupid pandemic and supply issues and rising food prices :angrywoman:
Thanks! That skillet looks good. I think oyster sauce doesn't count as fish, so I should be able to have it. I'm not sure if the weekly meal plans are allergen friendly. One thing I really like about my mealime app is that I can click for dairy free and fish free and it will only show me recipes without those ingredients so I don't have to spend my time thinking that something looks good and then finding out we can't eat it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many of the weeknight meal plan recipes include allergy friendly alternatives and substitutions. It probably is a pain to look through each recipe to check, though.

Some dairy free recipes:

Dairy Free Recipes | Budget Bytes
Recipes

The Moroccan beef and veggie dish was even more disappointing than the previous one I had. A single small barely playing dice sized piece of beef in the entire package :bat: I had one of the rotisserie chicken leg quarters to go with it. It was an awful lot of quinoa and carrots and olives so I still have all that leftover for tomorrow.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
making pan fried breaded pork chops with egg fried rice and some grilled veggiesand a bowl of the soup i brewed lastnight was supposed to be my off night of cooking but gf is laid out with bad cramps from the time of the month.hopefully after i feed her a deent meal and another midol she will feel better and get a good nights sleep :lol:then i get to feed her a plate of french toast,sausages and eggs in the morning to go with her coffee

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pork tenderloin dusted / rubbed with Hungarian hot paprika, oregano, freshly ground black pepper, salt, then dusted with flour. Browned, added a little broth and a splash of apple cider vinegar, covered pan and braised on low heat for 45 minutes. Served with couscous and steamed broccoli. I had ice cream for dessert, Himself had a large chocolate chip cookie from the batch I baked late this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.