What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry for the rant. But I don't know what's for dinner.
You don't have to apologize, we all have days like that. 🤗 In fact, sometimes I go three days in a row not knowing what I'm going to eat for dinner and I don't even have a baby anymore. I like to eat breakfast and lunch but then just don't have the energy or enthusiasm for dinner. I'll eat cereal, yogurt with fruit or scramble some eggs instead.

Speaking of tonight's dinner we were invited to one of our neighbors - the same neighbor I mentioned in the Question of the Day about where I was on 9/11. I baked a chocolate olive oil cake that is dairy free and it tasted delicious. My neighbor is an excellent cook and sent us home with a doggie bag.

IMG_1276.jpeg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is totally a first world problem, but I'm just so tired of food. Picking out recipes on my app is frustrating because things don't look good, I'm tired of my dietary restrictions, and on days I don't cook I don't have much that's quick and easy.

And I know I need to eat, especially with breastfeeding, but I don't mind losing weight - I want to lose more weight even though I'm trying not to say anything about it in front of J so I don't give her the wrong ideas about body image.

And then when I could make something fast, like tacos, my husband decides he's tired and goes to lie down which leaves me at 7:20 and not having eaten anything since some pretzels and hummus for lunch around 1.

2dc70edbc9899bd61025f5ef342f7897.jpg

It's a thing!

I really have to be in the right mood to cook or I just end up grabbing a can of baked beans and adding a hotdog. Which can't possibly be healthy, all that sugar and hotdog-ness. It's 10 pm and I still haven't made dinner, trying to avoid beanie-weenies.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 394584

It's a thing!

I really have to be in the right mood to cook or I just end up grabbing a can of baked beans and adding a hotdog. Which can't possibly be healthy, all that sugar and hotdog-ness. It's 10 pm and I still haven't made dinner, trying to avoid beanie-weenies.
And now it's not just me - I have to figure out what kind of table food to give the kid as well.

We ended up ordering Korean and had dinner at 8:30 and I worked on putting J to bed after that.

I'm like Sparkle in that I tend to get hangry. I know I need to take better care of myself in that way. But at the same time it's nice to be down a couple pounds from my pre pregnancy weight and would be thrilled if I could get another ten off. But I need to make sure I'm eating enough as a priority.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is totally a first world problem, but I'm just so tired of food. Picking out recipes on my app is frustrating because things don't look good, I'm tired of my dietary restrictions, and on days I don't cook I don't have much that's quick and easy.

And I know I need to eat, especially with breastfeeding, but I don't mind losing weight - I want to lose more weight even though I'm trying not to say anything about it in front of J so I don't give her the wrong ideas about body image.

And then when I could make something fast, like tacos, my husband decides he's tired and goes to lie down which leaves me at 7:20 and not having eaten anything since some pretzels and hummus for lunch around 1.

That is why I like that I meal plan. Doesn't matter what I feel like eating, it is already set in stone ( and trust me, I get comments if I go rogue once in a while). Even if I don't feel like eating what's for dinner, I make it anyway or sometimes will make Wednesday's dinner on Monday because it's easier (that's when the comments happen). In the end, it's nice to not have one more thing to think about every day.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I use to plan our meals a week in advance, down to page numbers of cookbooks I was going to use. Somehow, that went by the wayside, along with everything else during the pandemic. Or maybe because I retired. And I was just thinking about trying to get back into the habit. It was so much easier when I knew what I was going to make for dinner. (Believe me, once one retires, all planning seems to go out the door!) Rick did well while I was laid up with my leg; well, we did a lot of store-bought pizza and Wendy's. But overall, he did well. Once I could start actually walking and doing things, he disappeared during meal prep!

I had planned on tuna and noodles last night. That didn't work. Neither of us felt all that hungry, so I defrosted some hamburger-vegetable soup from the freezer and we shared a toasted cheese sandwich.

Rick and his sister are going out for lunch today, so he won't be that hungry tonight. And he's bowling. I'm seriously considering making tuna salad and calling it dinner.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been having toasted tomato sandwiches almost every night. Not tired of them yet, but think I need something different for tonight. Not sure what that'll be though. :lol:

know this is totally a first world problem, but I'm just so tired of food. Picking out recipes on my app is frustrating because things don't look good, I'm tired of my dietary restrictions, and on days I don't cook I don't have much that's quick and easy.
I think we all have that problem from time to time. I have my old standbys like grilled cheese and tomato, or scrambled eggs and toast, or French toast, or pasta and jarred sauce. Also I always have my homemade naan pizzas in the freezer, so they make a quick meal. I also always have veggie burgers and buns in the freezer, so another pretty easy meal. And when I'm really lazy, I make cinnamon toast. But I just have to feed myself. Can't imagine having to cook for a family every night.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I'm still having to rely on microwaveable dinners, because I just cannot stand and do prep work, then cook. So, whatever I grab out of the freezer. Last night (early this morning), I had a Mexican rice and beans thing by Smart Ones, which was actually very good! I'm going to try some more of their meals. It had discernible seasonings, which was a really pleasant change! Tonight, I make go so far as to throw a few taquitos on a baking pan. I think I can even manage THAT much cooking!

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm still having to rely on microwaveable dinners, because I just cannot stand and do prep work, then cook. So, whatever I grab out of the freezer. Last night (early this morning), I had a Mexican rice and beans thing by Smart Ones, which was actually very good! I'm going to try some more of their meals. It had discernible seasonings, which was a really pleasant change! Tonight, I make go so far as to throw a few taquitos on a baking pan. I think I can even manage THAT much cooking!
are you getting pt still?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a Mexican rice and beans thing by Smart Ones, which was actually very good!
I like that one, too, and their chicken enchilada suiza. It's even a bit spicy! Also the 3-cheese ziti (with or without meatballs) and the ravioli florentine.

It's kinda sad that I've become such a frozen meal connoisseur, but on the other hand it's probably better than fast food!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually only cook every other night and then we either order out or sort of do our own thing. But even picking out my recipes for the next week frustrates me sometimes, especially when something looks good to me, but I know my husband will think it sounds weird. And it's hard to cook if he's not watching J these days because she's going through some separation anxiety. And when it's just me and her, I feel like I need to offer her something a bit nutritious.

I got to the store and bought a can of chicken noodle soup for us to share tonight. She's more interested in playing with her spoon and yelling, though.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I usually only cook every other night and then we either order out or sort of do our own thing. But even picking out my recipes for the next week frustrates me sometimes, especially when something looks good to me, but I know my husband will think it sounds weird.
Do you think you're making it harder for yourself trying to find new recipes all the time? I've read most people rotate through the same recipes/meals most of the time. Maybe make a list of you and your husband's favourite meals, and just make them for a while. And try to make enough of freezable ones, so you have easy microwavable meals when you don't have time/feel like cooking from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.