What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NY Times had a new "cooking from your pantry" recipe from Melissa Clark. I usually like her recipes so decided to give it a try. White beans and tuna casserole using canned ingredients, with a crushed potato chip topping. Also incorporates diced sauteed onion, grated cheese, grated lemon zest, butter, a little white wine.

Don't know what to say. It wasn't bad but it wasn't "wow, I'll be making this again!" good. It was . . . different. Very filling. The crushed potato chip topping with some grated cheese and bits of butter was maybe the best part.

Oh well, can't tell if I don't try it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Long day and we spent most of it outdoors working around the house so the pasta casserole I made a few days ago really came in handy for leftovers. We both had a side salad and red seedless grapes plus honeycrisp apple for dessert.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had to use up some corn and black beans. I put some rice with it, on the stovetop with a bunch of spices and 1 TB Oil, 1 TB Hot Sauce. It turned out pretty good. The spices cooked up better on the stovetop than in a baked casserole. It tasted much better than my other creations (abominations). :thumbsup:
That's totally something I would make, sans the hot sauce, though. ;)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tonight? Corn dogs. SO easy, and I'm done in. I've spent three 7-hour days setting up Suzanne's new Smart TV and computer, and teaching her to use them. I'm worn out! HOWEVER...Wednesday, I'm going to bake a pecan cake with caramel icing, AND an old-fashioned tuna casserole. You know, our moms (or grandmoms for you young things), used to make them with egg noodles and tuna and cream of mushroom soup and green peas. Haven't had one in years, but I used to BEG Mom to make them...I never knew I was eating mushrooms until I was a teenager!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Well, let me see. On Sunday, we used the last of the asparagus in an asparagus and tomato frittata. (I guess I shouldn't say "last" of the asparagus because every time I go up to the garden I find more coming up!).
And Monday, we had pulled pork (7 hours on the grill with mesquite chips), potato salad, and crock pot beans. With a corn, pea, and green bean salad (that tasted similar to three/four bean salad). A frozen peanut butter pie for our dessert.

And tonight? Leftovers from last night. We have enough for tonight, plus a huge portion for another two or three meals in the freezer.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's evidently a good asparagus year. One of my co-workers goes out looking for wild (?) asparagus in the ditches (I have no idea how it got there or if it's wild, but we have a lot of asparagus growing in the ditches for some reason), and the first day he went out he got 34 pounds, which is a record for him. He says he usually gets 10-12 pounds on a normal outing. He gave me a pound but I haven't done anything with it yet.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
(I have no idea how it got there or if it's wild, but we have a lot of asparagus growing in the ditches for some reason)
We call it "wild" asparagus, but it is actually feral asparagus. It was brought over by Europeans some 400 years ago, and some of it escaped, and, like the Mustangs in the West, made itself right at home.

Tonight? An omelet.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We call it "wild" asparagus, but it is actually feral asparagus. It was brought over by Europeans some 400 years ago, and some of it escaped, and, like the Mustangs in the West, made itself right at home.
Europeans have only lived in this area for ~150-ish years. So it's had less time to get established. I wonder if there was ever a Johnny Asparagusseed? :tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.