What's For Dinner? - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I brought two cartons of cottage cheese today just to have it on hand. A lot of times when I don't feel like cooking I will eat cottage cheese and fruit for a meal. It is quick, healthy and I need the protein.
I've done the exact same thing, I really like it with berries.
Sometimes I sneak in a handful of chips too :biggrin:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Thought you might like to see the BBQ chicken. I'm pleased. It has a nice tang from the apple cider vinegar and from the liquid smoke (I added just a tad). It was cooked well, but not overly-done. And it's nice and moist. Rick does not like chicken, so he wasn't amused about dinner tonight. But even he said it was good....for chicken, that is. Mollipop and Tabby loved theirs and even Ms. Pepe had a teeny piece. (I used mayo, apple cider vinegar, veg oil, black pepper, salt, poultry seasoning, and smoked paprika. I also added just a wee bit of smoke. An all-day marinade, and then used the remaining marinade as a mop sauce while it grilled over indirect heat for an hour. About 300 to 350 degrees.)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thought you might like to see the BBQ chicken. I'm pleased. It has a nice tang from the apple cider vinegar and from the liquid smoke (I added just a tad). It was cooked well, but not overly-done. And it's nice and moist. Rick does not like chicken, so he wasn't amused about dinner tonight. But even he said it was good....for chicken, that is. Mollipop and Tabby loved theirs and even Ms. Pepe had a teeny piece. (I used mayo, apple cider vinegar, veg oil, black pepper, salt, poultry seasoning, and smoked paprika. I also added just a wee bit of smoke. An all-day marinade, and then used the remaining marinade as a mop sauce while it grilled over indirect heat for an hour. About 300 to 350 degrees.)
Beautifully done. Looks perfect :thumbsup:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Our gas grill has a temperature range, so I always know approx what the temp is. I can't actually set it for 350, but I can keep an eye on the temperature as it rises and then goes back down (opening the lid, keeping the lid shut). I also use a probe thermometer, set at the desired temp. When it gets to the temp that I set it for, the timer goes off. And I also use an instant read thermometer, just to check on the cooked meat.

The grill has six burners, plus a side burner for kettles of beans and such; it's a big thing. We have a nice-sized cast iron griddle that came with our old grill and I kept that. I turned on all the burners to High, then cleaned the grates. Then I turned burners 1, 3, 4 and 6 off, but kept 2 and 5 on medium-high. And put the four chicken quarters over 3 and 4. Indirect heat.

We do a lot of grilling in the summer. And I've learned how to work with different meats on the grill at the same time, and working around the burners to get it all done. That's partially why I wanted a big grill. It does what I need it to do. When we use the pizza oven box on the grill, I need 2, 3, 4, and 5 all turned to High and kept there.

For years, Rick did all the grilling. Then several years ago, I decided that I wanted to try it. He does seafood, steak, burgers and dogs; I do the poultry, briskets, and pork butts. I also like to play with wood chips and pellets. So when we decided to get a new grill a few years ago, he let me decide how big to go.

And I know that's TMI!! :paperbag::paperbag:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nothing exploded in the oven :yess: The sausages aren't anything fancy, just hot Italian. I had to put them in the fridge to thaw yesterday because I needed space for more bags of raw cat food :rolleyes:

Last edited:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing exploded in the oven :yess: The sausages aren't anything fancy, just hot Italian. I had to put in the fridge to thaw yesterday because I needed space for more bags of raw cat food :rolleyes:
Good news on not exploding your food! We have some sausage in the fridge we might throw in a cream sauce and make potato soup with.
They need to invent a fridge that runs wall to wall but is only about a foot deep so lost food doesn't get thrown to the back and forgotten about. I found a head of cabbage that was turning black and some celery that looked like it had the flu the other day :sigh: We clean it out once a week but apparently we (I) missed the middle shelf :hmmm:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Yay! micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom I'm so glad you liked it.

I was going to do BBQ chicken sourdough pizza yesterday for dinner, but never got around to making the crust. So I took two pork chops out of the freezer. Made some marinated carrots (different kind of recipe with tomato sauce, but not bad). And dessert was a peach cobbler. (And I put the two remaining chicken quarters in the freezer for another time.)

I had canned peaches last year and I need to get them used up, so I can can more this year. I have one jar left. I'm going to can peaches and zucchini relish this summer.

Tonight Rick is making his hamburgers. Yum

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We got two cartons of cottage cheese in the fridge with my name on them. It's only recently I really decided I liked the stuff.
Welcome to the Dark Side. It's good with most everything, including veggies and some meats.

Tonight I'm having tuna salad, mostly because Hek wants "tuna soup."

I have added those small frozen pancakes and breakfast links to my shopping list...next month I can have "hot dogs" for breakfast...although NOT with cheese and onions!

I'm also ordering this
upload_2019-6-24_17-11-41.jpeg

so I can make these
upload_2019-6-24_17-10-27.jpeg

It says to use pancake batter, but I bet that cornbread batter would work, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.