What's For Dinner? - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For lunch I had the same veggie sandwich as yesterday, except I used sharp cheese. Tomato, Lettuce, Hardboiled Egg, Sunflower Seeds, Blue Cheese Dressing on toasted Rye Bread.

I've been thinking of getting some mushrooms to put on sandwiches, but somebody mentioned that mushrooms should be cooked, not eaten raw. Is that true? We used to serve raw mushrooms on the salad bar when I worked at Pizza Hut many years ago.
You can eat mushrooms raw if you want.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
You can eat mushrooms raw if you want.
Yah... If you google "eat raw mushrooms" you'll get a variety of results.

Some folks say cook them to destroy a certain toxin and to break down the woody cellular structure to get to the nutrients.
Others say the toxin is degraded by chill and dry air, so most grocery mushrooms are likely safe enough raw (like on salads).
And there are other folks who say they just prefer their mushrooms cooked for the flavor.

So... :dunno:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finally made my Lentil Loaf
Do you put anything on it?

For dinner I had a frozen Sweet Earth vegetarian breakfast burrito. I didn't like it much, but that might be because I put taco sauce on it. It had scrambled eggs in it, so maybe I should have used ketchup. Or maybe eggs just don't freeze well. Anyway, if I get another one, I will try ketchup next time.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I ended up getting the sausage rice bowl. It was really good :yummy: Picture from the cafe web site which obviously looks a lot better than the real life compostable bowl with everything jumbled up inside. I'll have to try the other rice bowls the next time this cafe returns. I think the pop up meal service has the cafes rotate once every 2 weeks or so.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've eaten the regular white mushrooms from the grocery store raw on salads. Hopefully it's safe.
I think it's more of a precaution for various reasons, e.g. some people have difficulty digesting raw mushrooms, cooking them helps break down the cell walls making them easier to digest and also helps release the nutrients, therefore, making them beneficial.
There's been a lot of discussion back and forth about this subject so basically 'be informed' and decide what's best for you. :)

Last night I had leftover veggie chili with spinach salad and tonight I'm planning to have lentil soup with salad. Trying to be good before the holidays, lol. :biggrin:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't know. I'm cooking and making individual frozen meals for my mother for Christmas this year and I have one thing left to make - minestrone soup. I don't know if I'm going to make that today or tomorrow. Last night was chicken breast with green beans and baby potatoes. There is a slight chance we go out tonight for dinner. If not I may be making that soup today.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ended up getting the sausage rice bowl.
That looks good, except I would want the spinach cooked.

Usually just ketchup.
I used to put ketchup on meatloaf, so I imagine it would be good on lentil loaf.

pizza place. I have to eat GF
Dominos has good gluten free pizza.

For lunch I had my usual veggie sandwich. This is totally weird, but I threw a handful of granola on it. :lol: It was way too crunchy, it hurt my teeth. Oh well, I'll try anything on a sandwich once. I'm always looking for fun ideas. I want to get some radishes next.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was supposed to have pizza tonight while watching Christmas movies with a friend, but she bailed on me, too cold. I'll give her a pass. It is chilly (NC chilly, not Wisconsin chilly), and she has an ankle that's mostly metal, and the cold makes it ache, so...I guess now, whatever I scrounge, whenever I get hungry. Maybe PBJ for me, too!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had another slice of my lentil loaf. This time with a salad. And a kiwi for dessert.
The rest of the lentil loaf has been sliced and put in the freezer for future meals.

Status
Not open for further replies.