What's For Dinner? - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nor my kitchen. I LOVE onions !!! :yummy:

Checked the label on the can in my cupboard, plus the Canadian Campbells soup website and neither show Natural Flavour. But I might email them to confirm it's vegetarian.
View attachment 307218

Not sure what I'll be having tonight, but last night I made an egg burger.
Let me know what you find out. It was 17 years ago that I asked them about being vegetarian. They may have changed. I am going to check the next time I go to the store. Their original soups are not that healthy.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if there's an egg and milk in them, there's some protein there.
Oh yeah, that makes sense. Thanks! :)

Tomatoes and okra
I saw some okra in a can the other day. I wonder if that would taste any good.

Natural Flavors
I never thought about Natural Flavors being non-vegetarian. I wish they would list what they are exactly on the can.

For lunch I will just have my usual veggie sandwich on toasted Aldi's whole grain wheat bread. They have another 12 grain bread I want to try. For dinner I will probably have leftover chicken alfredo. (The pasta was expired, so it was kind of bland. Gluten-free too, so double bland.😞)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let me know what you find out. It was 17 years ago that I asked them about being vegetarian. They may have changed. I am going to check the next time I go to the store. Their original soups are not that healthy.
I only buy canned soup for one recipe that I only occasionally make, so not sure how quickly I'll get around to contacting them, especially since they don't have an email contact. :hmmm:

I never thought about Natural Flavors being non-vegetarian. I wish they would list what they are exactly on the can.
Here's a link to a site that answers the question Why Natural Flavors as an Ingredient Are Not Always Healthy

And an excerpt:
"Are natural flavors suitable for vegetarian and vegan foods? Natural flavors can be made from animal products. So, unless the manufacturer explicitly states the natural flavors are plant-based or the food product is vegetarian or vegan, there's really no way to know whether they come from animals or plants."
:mad:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
That's one reason why I stay away from Campbell's products. Plus I really like Dr. McDougall's soups which are vegetarian and vegan friendly. You may want to try them on your next trip to the grocery store: Home - Dr. McDougall's Right Foods

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's one reason why I stay away from Campbell's products. Plus I really like Dr. McDougall's soups which are vegetarian and vegan friendly. You may want to try them on your next trip to the grocery store: Home - Dr. McDougall's Right Foods
We don't have any McDougall's soups in any of my stores. But if I ever get back to Wegman's or Whole Food I will try some. They are about 30 miles from my house. I haven't had any of the classic Campbell's soups in 17 years and I grew up on their soups.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had some expensive soups that were awful;;;;can't think of the name but got them at Whole Foods
years ago.I still like Campbell's Vegetarian Vegetable.

Had a baked potato for lunch, sooo filling.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had some expensive soups that were awful;;;;can't think of the name but got them at Whole Foods
years ago.I still like Campbell's Vegetarian Vegetable.

Had a baked potato for lunch, sooo filling.
I could not eat Campbell's Vegetarian Vegetable soup because it has egg whites in it. I did not care much for it anyway.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We picked up Asian food from a new restaurant. It was fantastic, can't wait to go back. 👍 I had tofu with mixed vegetables and brown rice. It was loaded with all sorts of veggies. DH had mongolian beef tenderloin.
I also had tofu with mixed vegetables and rice. You must have a lot of nice restaurants where you live. We have the same old restaurant's every other neighborhood has. There are very few privately own restaurants around here.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Riced cauliflower, veggie "pasta", chicken meatballs with jarred pizza sauce.

Hmmm. On reflection, most of this was food masquerading as something else LOL! But, it sure tasted good ;)
I've had cauliflower rice before and honestly thought it was bomb. It didn't taste like rice, but it's own flavor was good.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had made stew the other day and being in a rush (strange? no, not with everything happening right now) I bought precut stew meat at the store. Stew was flavorful but the meat was somewhat tough. So last night I cut the cubes of cooked meat into small pieces, shredded the remaining potatoes. Stirred together and browned as one large patty in a cast iron pan. As it finished I added the chunks of carrot from the stew around the edges, to reheat and brown a little. Cooked fresh broccoli in a zip-steam bag. Thickened the stew gravy and poured over the hash as I plated it up.

May have been leftovers but we agreed it was a better meal than the stew was.

Status
Not open for further replies.