What's For Dinner? - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Campbell's Mushroom soup. It is not vegetarian.
What ingredients are not vegetarian in it?

I just had another grilled ham and Swiss on sourdough.
My sourdough bread is all gone. So for lunch I had a veggie sandwich with Aldi's whole wheat bread. I ruined the sandwich by adding dried cranberries to it. It was too sweet.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The best way for me to describe the taste is earthy and nutty. If you don't care for the rubbery-like texture of tofu then tempeh is a good alternative and it's firmer than tofu. I also think it's easier to prepare. I like the pan frying method best. Here's a good link about it: Here’s What You Should Know About Tempeh
Thanks for the link. Will check it out. Texture is a thing with me ...

rubysmama rubysmama --If you had a pancake dinner, what would you have with it for protein? Some type of potato maybe?
Hmmm... when I have pancakes, I usually just pile it with maple syrup and fruit - strawberries, blueberries, banana. But I love fruit !!!

About the protein,if there's an egg and milk in them, there's some protein there.

And probably not a type of potato, as that would just be more carbohydrates.

You could always have some Greek Yogurt for dessert, which would have a good amount of protein.

Campbell's Mushroom soup. It is not vegetarian.
:eek3: I use it sometimes. Must check the label ...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you ok?
Yikes! I hope that's not too dangerous.
I'm fine, thanks. I did feel a little shaky, so I had a bowl of sweet cereal. I keep it on hand for just such occasions!

Ummmmmm...tonight...once again, I have given this no thought at all, so probably corn dogs with honey-mustard sauce. And a veggie of some sort...green beans? Tomatoes and okra? One of those. Just so I can pretend I'm eating healthy...

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Made some broccoli and cheddar soup. This was my first time making it, and as someone who isn't much of a cook, I think I did a pretty good job. Next time I'm going to opt-out on the onions, though, because 1 - onions are the devil's butt-nuggets, and 2 - they didn't add anything to the soup. I took out each individual broccoli and then pureed the rest to get rid of those slimy things 🤮 (I hate onions in case no one got the hint lol)

Anyway, good first go!
IMG_20191109_151841.jpg

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I made Green Bean Casserole for dinner tonight. I won't be able to eat the one my sister will make on Thanksgiving because she uses Campbell's Mushroom soup. It is not vegetarian. She used a natural organic mushroom soup last year and it was not good.
Which one does she use? Campbell's cream of mushroom is vegetarian. That's the one most people use in green bean casserole. You can use any "cream of" soup though. I have used cream of onion before and it was great. I prefer to make the sauce from scratch now. Very easy to do and easily made vegetarian. I add extra mushrooms because they are yummy.

1573338992915.png

1573339083005.png

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We can never, EVER share a kitchen. Ever. never.
giphy (3).gif

There goes my plan of showing up unannounced to be a disaster of a human being in your kitchen. Now you'll never witness me running around in panic while making a simple roux, acting as if it will explode all because I forgot to pre-measure out the milk.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
View attachment 307149
There goes my plan of showing up unannounced to be a disaster of a human being in your kitchen. Now you'll never witness me running around in panic while making a simple roux, acting as if it will explode all because I forgot to pre-measure out the milk.
DARN IT! And I was going to sell tickets and have a concession stand!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the link. Will check it out. Texture is a thing with me ...

Hmmm... when I have pancakes, I usually just pile it with maple syrup and fruit - strawberries, blueberries, banana. But I love fruit !!!

About the protein,if there's an egg and milk in them, there's some protein there.

And probably not a type of potato, as that would just be more carbohydrates.

You could always have some Greek Yogurt for dessert, which would have a good amount of protein.

:eek3: I use it sometimes. Must check the label ...
Campbell's soup will not tell you on their labels. Some of their new soups are vegetarian.
Which one does she use? Campbell's cream of mushroom is vegetarian. That's the one most people use in green bean casserole. You can use any "cream of" soup though. I have used cream of onion before and it was great. I prefer to make the sauce from scratch now. Very easy to do and easily made vegetarian. I add extra mushrooms because they are yummy.

View attachment 307151

View attachment 307152
When I became vegan I wrote to Campbell soup several times to ask which of their soups were vegan. When I finally got a reply they said that the only soup that they made that was vegetarian were their Vegetarian soup and their V8 juice. They list Natural Flavoring which probably means something derieved from meat.

View attachment 307151

View attachment 307152
When I became vegan I wrote to Campbell's soup several times asking which one of their soups were vegan. When they finally answered they said that only their Vegetarian Vegetable soup and V-8 Juice was vegetarian. On their label they list Natural Flavor. That is probably something derived from meat. They are allowed to do that. You could call or write them.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

View attachment 307151

View attachment 307152
Well this is the third time I have tried to answer your reply. I wrote Campbell's several times asking them which of their soup was vegan. After several tries they wrote back and said that only their Vegetarian Vegetable soup and V-8 Juice were vegetarian. On their label they list Natural Flavors which probably means that something is in the soup that is derived from meat. They are allowed to do that.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Made some broccoli and cheddar soup. This was my first time making it, and as someone who isn't much of a cook, I think I did a pretty good job. Next time I'm going to opt-out on the onions, though, because 1 - onions are the devil's butt-nuggets, and 2 - they didn't add anything to the soup. I took out each individual broccoli and then pureed the rest to get rid of those slimy things 🤮 (I hate onions in case no one got the hint lol)

Anyway, good first go!
View attachment 307142
Looks really good!! "devil's butt-nuggets", ha!! :lol:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
(I hate onions in case no one got the hint lol)
We can never, EVER share a kitchen. Ever. never.
Nor my kitchen. I LOVE onions !!! :yummy:

When I became vegan I wrote to Campbell's soup several times asking which one of their soups were vegan. When they finally answered they said that only their Vegetarian Vegetable soup and V-8 Juice was vegetarian. On their label they list Natural Flavor. That is probably something derived from meat. They are allowed to do that. You could call or write them.
Checked the label on the can in my cupboard, plus the Canadian Campbells soup website and neither show Natural Flavour. But I might email them to confirm it's vegetarian.
1573388036089.png

Not sure what I'll be having tonight, but last night I made an egg burger.

Status
Not open for further replies.